• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

SteveP29

The pound shop business model relies on some customers presuming everything is a bargain and buying it regardless. If all customers only bought the items which would cost more than £1 in a supermarket then the pound shop would go out-of-business.

The strangest one I find is paracetamol. A pound shop will sell you 3 packets of 16 for £1, Aldi will sell you a packet of 16 from the same manufacturer in a different packet for 20p - you're getting 3 packets for the price of 5 from the pound shop. What's even stranger, unless you have a prescription for paracetamol, if you walk in to a pharmacist's and ask for more than 2 x 16 packets or 1 x 32 packet you'll have to convince the pharmacist as to why you need to buy that many all at once.

This is a measure to prevent overdose. That's also why you no longer get bottles of 100 paracetamol pills any more that you could simply pour into your mouth.

Funny that I was able to buy a bottle of 100 ibuprofen or 200 Advil (aspirin) when I was in Florida last year

From my point of view, Superdry seems to be aimed at the "hooded yoof" in society. It is noticable in Halifax where some of the local inhabitants still wear a coat in the height of summer.

Its nothing special, I used to wear my leather biker jacket all year round

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Funny that I was able to buy a bottle of 100 ibuprofen or 200 Advil (aspirin) when I was in Florida last year

Come to think of that, when I bought paracetamol in Canada (after working out that it was called acetaminophen) that came in a bottle that was far larger than the packets sold in the UK. Despite knowing about the sales limits here (having worked in retail) I'd never realised that they mustn't exist on the other side of the pond.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Come to think of that, when I bought paracetamol in Canada (after working out that it was called acetaminophen) that came in a bottle that was far larger than the packets sold in the UK. Despite knowing about the sales limits here (having worked in retail) I'd never realised that they mustn't exist on the other side of the pond.

I remember trying to buy three packets of paracetamol but only being allowed two. I left my shopping in the car, returned and bought a further two, making sure I used the same checkout I used before and giving the operator a big smile as I paid.

richw

Veteran Member
I remember trying to buy three packets of paracetamol but only being allowed two. I left my shopping in the car, returned and bought a further two, making sure I used the same checkout I used before and giving the operator a big smile as I paid.

Our training would if adhered to see you refused the 2nd transaction. However serving so many people whether we’d remember you is a different matter.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Our training would if adhered to see you refused the 2nd transaction. However serving so many people whether we’d remember you is a different matter.

I think the till rejected the first transaction, rather than the operator doing so on her own initiative, and she recognised me the second time. Perhaps a case of 'Computer says yes'?

richw

Veteran Member
I think the till rejected the first transaction, rather than the operator doing so on her own initiative, and she recognised me the second time. Perhaps a case of 'Computer says yes'?

Maybe, I’m an online delivery driver but had to go through the e learning for restricted items. The till will say no to more than 2 in a transaction. If the customer returns a little later and we recognise them we are supposed to do human intervention and refuse the sale.
Same as if a child loads the conveyor belt for parent or had been seen carrying it round the store, and its full of booze, the rules say decline age restricted items sale. Common sense says this is more applicable to older teenage children than say a 5-6 year old helping empty the trolley for mum,

Kite159

Veteran Member
Fopp music retailer

Owned by HMV and only a small number of stores, especially compared to the number they had before going into administration and getting sold to HMV (expanded too quickly when they purchased Music Zone).

HMV group survived administration a few years ago, they have shifted towards hardware & overpriced cans

Dai Corner

Established Member
Maybe, I’m an online delivery driver but had to go through the e learning for restricted items. The till will say no to more than 2 in a transaction. If the customer returns a little later and we recognise them we are supposed to do human intervention and refuse the sale.
Same as if a child loads the conveyor belt for parent or had been seen carrying it round the store, and its full of booze, the rules say decline age restricted items sale. Common sense says this is more applicable to older teenage children than say a 5-6 year old helping empty the trolley for mum,

Sounds like your training is better than some then. It was three or four years ago so maybe things have been tightened up since.

Better leave it there as we're getting way off topic for this thread.

43021HST

Established Member
Talking of WHSmith there was a Daily Mash article on it: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...-we-will-never-ever-close-down-20180405146775

But what about us? You’d think a bumhole like WH Smith, more of a skip than a store these days, would be ripe for bankruptcy.

Have you seen what we charge for a bag of crisps? It’s shocking. You’d be better off going to the little newsagents down the road, if it’s one we haven’t driven out of business.

My favourite bit is this:
Because we are Britain, in all its overpriced, lukewarm, rundown former glory. We are Britain. You are us, and we are you

whhistle

On Moderation
Carpet Right just announced closure of ~90 stores.

I wonder if the likes of SCS have taken their share of people, but I do increasingly see independent retailers for carpets.
But then I guess it's something many people don't renew very often, and certainly more now most houses have laminate flooring.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I wonder if the likes of SCS have taken their share of people, but I do increasingly see independent retailers for carpets.

Carpet Right were comfortably twice the price of the independent retailer who I got in to do my carpets last year. They were also comfortably twice the price of the local chain I got in to do my laminate because the indy didn't do laminate. It's no wonder they've gone.

I picked up a bottle of 500 Tylenol in Abu Dhabi. I understand why we have the retail limit, but it is a bit silly. You can get the bigger packs from behind the pharmacy counter though, IIRC; I've certainly seen Boots sell them.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I picked up a bottle of 500 Tylenol in Abu Dhabi. I understand why we have the retail limit, but it is a bit silly. You can get the bigger packs from behind the pharmacy counter though, IIRC; I've certainly seen Boots sell them.
Were Boots selling them or issuing them as a prescription? I'd expect the latter. In either case, a doctor or pharmacist has agreed that there's a medical need for them.

Dai Corner

Established Member
My understanding is they can sell up to 100 in one transaction, but this sale must be supervised by a pharmacist. But that may be outdated.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1325.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=100

My bold/italic emphasis

The Medicines Act 1968 defines three legal categories of medicines:

• general sales list medicines (GSL)
  • pharmacy medicines (P)
  • prescription-only medicines (POM)
Under this act, most medicines can only be sold or supplied against a prescription at a pharmacy under the supervision of a pharmacist. However, some medicines (GSL) can be sold at other premises, such as convenience stores, as long as they’re pre-packed and the premises can be closed to exclude the public. It’s illegal to sell medicines from market stalls or from vehicles, such as at car boot sales.

General sales list medicines
GSL medicines can be sold by a wide range of shops, such as newsagents, convenience stores and petrol stations. Often, only a small pack size or low strength of the medicine may be sold. For example:

• the largest pack size of paracetamol that shops without a pharmacist working in them can sell is 16 tablets, but pharmacies can sell packs of 32 tablets
  • the highest strength of ibuprofen tablets that shops can sell is 200mg, but pharmacies can sell tablets at 400mg strength
Pharmacy medicines
Only pharmacies may sell these medicines and a pharmacist must make or supervise the sale.

You’ll be asked if you have any medical conditions or take any other medicines, to check that it’s safe for you to take the medicine. For example, some nasal decongestants can raise your blood pressure, so you’ll be asked if you have high blood pressure before being sold the medicine.

Some pharmacy medicines may only be sold if the pharmacist is satisfied that it is suitable and safe for you to take.

For other medicines, the pharmacist may suggest that you see your GP. For example, if you’ve used clotrimazole pessaries for vaginal thrush more than twice in six months, you should see your GP so they can decide whether this is the most appropriate treatment.

Prescription-only medicines
You cannot get these medicines without a prescription, usually from your GP. However, in some cases, your medicine may be prescribed by your dentist, a nurse, pharmacist, midwife or other healthcare professional, such as an optometrist.

Some prescription-only medicines are classed as controlled medicines, such as morphine, pethidine and methadone, due to their potential for abuse. Stricter legal controls apply to these medicines.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I personally expect Brighthouse to go. Amazon is better for shopping than paying 1.5 times more in little installments.

Brighthouse targets those who don't have the cash to buy what they want and have difficulty getting credit. I think they'll be fine as long as no legislation / regulation stops them doing that.

richw

Veteran Member
Brighthouse targets those who don't have the cash to buy what they want and have difficulty getting credit. I think they'll be fine as long as no legislation / regulation stops them doing that.

I agree. They’re why lots of people on social benefits have nice TVs etc. They have a captive market of poor credit rated people who want the gadgets. They will only hit issues if regulation hits them

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is a shame, I always used to consider them to be a step above Poundland with tidier stores, better staff, and more quality products; however the store format has changed significantly in the last year and a bit. When they initially started selling items for more than £1 they were a minority compared to the overall items for sale, in a defined area of the shop with clearly marked prices. In the past 18 Months that strategy seems to have been dropped, with all items mixed around the shop of a variety of prices; each marked with a price tag on the shelf; and many more non-£1 products being introduced; the availability of particular products also differing on every visit! I can't see how now they are any different from Poundstretcher / B&M / Home Bargains / et al.

I very rarely visit nowadays because of the above; I am even more put off by the fact that they don't take American Express whereas Poundland do.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you have AMEX i am not sure you are within the target demographic for pound shops!
Whilst it is the case that figures show that American Express cardholders tend to have a higher than average spend; it would in fact be more beneficial for those with low incomes to spend on such cards!

As a consumer, I am more inclined to make a purchase at a shop that does take American Express than one that does not; provided that the features of the shop are similar (eg. location, ambience, price, etc.), and it makes financial sense for me to reward retailers that choose to accept it with my custom.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Whilst it is the case that figures show that American Express cardholders tend to have a higher than average spend; it would in fact be more beneficial for those with low incomes to spend on such cards!

As a consumer, I am more inclined to make a purchase at a shop that does take American Express than one that does not; provided that the features of the shop are similar (eg. location, ambience, price, etc.), and it makes financial sense for me to reward retailers that choose to accept it with my custom.

Cash or debit card for me. Not that the bank would ever give me a credit card but i wouldn't take one if they did!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

My bookshop applied to take Amex some years ago, but we were turned down on the basis that the average purchase price in a bookshop didn't meet their criteria! Was then surprised about ten years later to be approached by them asking to be represented in our shop.

amateur

On Moderation
Surprised to learn that house of fraser will be closing some branches. Never expected that one!