• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 443 (EWS) :: Voting

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 18 52.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 7 20.6%

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teaboy1

Mmmm yes #4 good....but look at #3!! It's a panned shot.....of an 08.....probably way down decoy bank.....shot from a passing 125......and its little rods are all a blurr.........now that is summat different. Gets my vote for sure!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I have to say, I am impressed with the way number 3 has captured an impression of speed, with an 08: Hardly an easy thing to do when they max out at 15mph!

mumrar

Established Member
Got to be #4 this week, the others aren't really anything to look at. I admire the skill in capturing the blur of the rods of the 08, but as a photo to look at it is very bland and dull colour/contrast wise.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Even #4 is very bland, and, IMHO, could have been better composed. I went for 9, but not really enthused by any of them.

curly42

the others aren't really anything to look at.

A little too specific,methinks. Could you make the statement in more of a "sweeping generalisation" type way ?

Thanks. :D

mumrar

Established Member
the others aren't really anything to look at.

A little too specific,methinks. Could you make the statement in more of a "sweeping generalisation" type way ?

Thanks. :D
Okay

Number 1: the resolution looks very low, as if it was taken from a video still infact, rather than a dedicated still camera. The position of the light is not pleasing as it is too head on, and the power lines and pylon coming out of the cab into the sky is a detracting point too.
Number 2: the sky is very badly burnt out, as is the yellow of the loco side and the loco fills the frame so much to make it feel you're on top of it. The fact that the front of the loco is obscured by a carriage also makes for a less pleasing photograph.
Number 3: Completely devoid of any contrast, the framing is too tight with obstrcutions either side, but as I did say, a technically well taken pan.
Number 4: the sky is burnt out, and the side of the train is over bright, which leads me to think it may have been taken on automatic settings, but the scene and the use of the structure and landscape are very good, and that's why I voted for it.
Number 5: Awful framing, with massive distraction from the gantry. A huge shadow over the front of the leading loco, loads of vegetation obstructing the detail below sole bar level, and the back loco is hidden by the gantry too.
Number 6: The position of the train in the centre leads to a lot of pointless track being visible in the foreground, and the sunlight is only on the side so the front looks quite devoid. It doesn't stand out for any reason.
Number 7: Far too dark on the subject of the photo, and the fact that it is going away from the camera doesn't help either. The catenary closest to the right side really distracts, as does the bright signal aspect towards the top-left. The vegetation that was used as framing doesn't do anything for me.
Number 8: Would benefit from either a crop of the left side, or just waiting for the trin to progress further in to the frame as chosen. Very dull colours, not helped by the shabby state of the loco, and the power lines growing out of the roof. The fencing covering the carriages marks the photo down.
Number 9: Is a very nice scene, captured well with good framing and timing, but I didn't choose it because the colour balance is too warm, and the whole side of the train open to the camera is shaded because the sun has gone round to the other side. There is a perfectly good shot available at Brantham I believe, that would have had the sun on the correct side.
Number 10: If the front of the train isn't even in the photo, then there is nothing else that could redeem the photograph.
Number 11: Colour balance is a bit off again (the greens are too bright), but being taken in a fully shadowed cutting means that the resulting shot is very bland. It would be nice to see sky, but I can see it would have been over-exposed due to the lighting and so was cropped out.

I hope this has cleared up any generalistations I dared to make in my earlier post :D

Oswyntail

Established Member
^what he said^
The reason I didn't go for 4 was the feeling that everything was too horizontal, with the main focus dead centre across the shot. Does anyone else feel this, and, more interestingly for me, how would they address this?
[Would like to add that I have not taken any serious photos for several years, since my lovely OM20 packed in, and am very inexperienced in digital techniques]

FlyingScot

Mmmm yes #4 good....but look at #3!! It's a panned shot.....of an 08.....probably way down decoy bank.....shot from a passing 125......and its little rods are all a blurr.........now that is summat different. Gets my vote for sure!

LOL! You could say that its escaping its railyard captors!:lol:

No2 for me.

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
There's not really anything here that's an eyecatcher. Trying not to let my love of 08s get the better of me here, no. 3 could've been great if it weren't for the lack of contrast. If I have to pick one I'll say no. 11, but even that's not very special.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to EltonRoad

thumb_RFO_100.JPG

01 - SonoftheStig
02 - steve 46010
03 - Crossforth
04 - EltonRoad
05 - sellis89
06 - Meridian richard
07 - K9-70
08 - D9521
09 - GB
10 - minette
11 - curly42

EltonRoad

Thanks again for the votes, and the comments, most of which I do agree with.

It is quite a challenge getting the lighting right in that location.

GB

Established Member
Allthough I didn't win, can I just say thanks to those 7 people that did vote for mine. I'm usually lucky to get 1 vote so 7 is great!:D

Also, mumrar mentioned something about the colour balance being too warm. What is this and how has it affected my photo? becuase as far as I remember the actual scene when I took the picture didn't look much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.