• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 510 (Taken from a train) :: Voting

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 17.6%

Votes: 14 41.2%

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Plenty of good'uns this week; but before I vote, a little point. The caption of number 2 may give away whose shot it is, if someone was prepared to have a dig around (and Fotopic comes back to life! :lol:). Can I suggest a removal of the link in it?

Anyway, the best two in my opinion are the bridge pair, 4 and 21. 4 wins on the grounds that the angle is a bit off in 21.

A little self-promotion (which I know Jordy isn't overly keen on, so I apologise in advance): I reckon I can get at leat two votes this week, but more than four looks unlikely.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I'm personally finding it incredibly difficult to make a choice, there's quite a few entries that I want to vote for. Ripping motive power preferences out of the window has made it harder to vote (:lol:), but even judging by means of best composition, light and Goodness knows what else, it's a hard choice.

Number 2 I like because of the view of the power car and signals in the distance, although there is not much contrast of colours.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I will go for 6 - captures the theme perfectly.

7/17/19 - dare I ask how those pictures were taken?

Jordy

Established Member
Remember that question can't be answered until the voting has ended to ensure that the owners are not revealed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
7/17/19 - dare I ask how those pictures were taken?

Well if I you don't mind me using an educated guesses? On 17 I would say that a member of train staff took a photo out of the back cab, as for 19 you can just hang out of a droplight on the Mk3 to take that photo nothing exciting there.

As for number 7, I too am curious and await an answer after the competition is done!

bengley

Established Member
Well if I you don't mind me using an educated guesses? On 17 I would say that a member of train staff took a photo out of the back cab, as for 19 you can just hang out of a droplight on the Mk3 to take that photo nothing exciting there.

As for number 7, I too am curious and await an answer after the competition is done!

There's probably a droplight on the carriage ends like on the A60/A62 on the Metropolitan Line

sprinterguy

Established Member
In the end it was a choice between number 5 and number 6 for me. I went for number 6; nicely framed by the window of the 158, and it’s nice to see a sunny day when you can actually see the Cuillins behind the Skye bridge!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yep, 6 won it for me too with the framing, it made it that much more obvious it was taken from on-board a train, thus fitting the subject brilliantly. Amazing just how well it works, I tried a similar thing some years ago on an HST of a sunset. Stunning shot, but I've lost that photo through forgetting to back stuff up and re-formatting. Must try it again sometime!

junglejames

Established Member
Ooh, first time ive been in this section!
Easy though this one, very easy. 6 is clever, but number 5 wins it hands down. OK whoever it was was lucky to be there just at that time (although this is the case a lot of times), but they have got a pretty dam good shot. Its stunning, and everything looks pretty perfect to me.
So whoever took no.5, cracking shot you got yourself there.

Crossover

Established Member
Difficult choice this week!
Some that I think are worthy of mention:
2 - not sure why but just feels nicely composed
4 - nice shot although theres a little too much going on in it architecturally...who built all those bridges in the way?! :P
5 - nicely composed with good lighting and some nice reflections off the perfectly still water
6 - really like the effect of using the window to frame the shot
17 - quite like the effect of the low sun and the effect it has on the rails

Also want to mention 15 as I quite like the effect of the moving rails but still buildings - I could probably hazard a guess who has entered it too (though I could be totally wrong!)

Made my choice anyway :)

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm surprised that nobidy has mentioned 19 as it makes an interesting photo out of a drab landscape - also the low shutter speed giving the contrast between the "still" train and the "moving" outside, and the fact that the crossover gives a clearer view of the line ahead. Its the photographer giving the photo interest, not the landscape.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
5, 6, 12 or 17... #6. Course, I know which one I'd like to vote for :D. Well done to all who entered this week, very hard choice.

Jordy

Established Member
Conrats to Track Basher

thumb_D1751_-_158707_Kyle_of_Lochalsh_29-12-09.jpg

01 - Techniquest
02 - Crossforth
03 - transportphoto
04 - atomicdanny
05 - EltonRoad
06 - Track Basher
07 - 33056
08 - curly42
09 - Kingston Flyer
10 - bengley
11 - K9-70
12 - CallySleeperKid
13 - odol
14 - Ivo
15 - IanPooleTrains
16 - sprinterguy
17 - seagull
18 - sellis89
19 - Adam_Harrison
20 - MattE2010
21 - googoplex
22 - steve 46010

Established Member
Right, now that the competition has finished I can tell you about picture no. 7. Quite simple really when you have four wheeled coaching stock with open verandas of the sort that would give the H&S brigade over here an attack of the vapours - picture of complete train .

All that was needed was to find a shutter speed slow enough to blur the ballast yet fast enough to keep the loco and coupling in focus (100th second), the hardest part was trying to stand still long enough to frame the photo as I wanted - had about 4 attempts in all.

PS, it might be worth mentioning that the photo was taken on a compact camera due to it having a moveable screen enabling me to hold it just above head height and still see what I was taking.

A DSLR wouldn't have worked without a lot of trial and error due to the fact that it isn't possible to look through the viewfinder holding the camera upside-down about five feet in the air! Just to prove that you don't need the most sophisticated camera in the world to get decent results.

PPS - if you ever visit Austria do have a go on the Waldviertlerbahn between Gmünd and Groß Gerungs. It is a bit off the beaten track but well worth a visit, plenty of scenery and thrash to be had and a choice of steam or diesel.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Well I was desperate for a picture!

Incidentally, to clear up the issue brought up by Sellis, the photo was a photo taken directly from my video on my camera. Anyone who owns a Samuns ES63 will know that as you view your view, you can freeze it and it will bring up an option for you to capture the image

But hey, TB won, not happy for him ;)

Crossover

Established Member
My guess was right - it had to be either you Ian, or your brother...too predictable :P

Well done to all those entered :)

Track Basher

Well I was desperate for a picture!

Incidentally, to clear up the issue brought up by Sellis, the photo was a photo taken directly from my video on my camera. Anyone who owns a Samuns ES63 will know that as you view your view, you can freeze it and it will bring up an option for you to capture the image

But hey, TB won, not happy for him ;)

Thanks for your kind comments. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.