• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 529 (Hills & Mountains) :: Voting

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.7%

Votes: 3 8.1%

Votes: 15 40.5%

Votes: 3 8.1%

Votes: 2 5.4%

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

willig

I'd like some of you to look closely at the entries and consider their qualities as a photograph, not the train featured or location. Of course, this is how it should always be considred, but I don't think that it is in every case.

There are a number of nice photos which are under exposed and one over exposed. This is a shame, because they all have godd other qualities. I'm not going to comment on every one, but I must mention a couple.

No. 7, a popular choice, is a great location and subject , but the image has a definite green cast and the colour is under-saturated. The cropping isn't right either. There is far too much wasted space on the left and not enough on the right.

No. 15 shows what the competition is about - a high quality photo. Examine this shot carefully. The composition is super, the cropping is spot on. Remember my previous comments on the "Rule of Thirds"? See where the train is positioned in the frame. See how there is just enough rail on view at the bottom. Note the framing by the OHLE gantry. the lighting is good, the shadows are not to strong. The overall exposure is exactly correct. The balance of the photo is precise, with the church on the right and the building on the extreme left. There is just enough sharpening. The colour is correct, having a slight blue bias, reflecting the white balance at the time.

No. 15 is an absolute textbook shot. I think I know who's work it is, but that's irrelevant. Look and learn people. None of the other photos in the comp (including my own) come anywhere near it for quality. If you vote for anything else, I believe you are not assessing the entries properly.

Sorry, if I offend anyone, but I'm trying to be constructive. Looking at the entries, it seems that most of the entrants have the potential to take really good photos. I'm trying to help you achieve this. I've been trying to improve my photography for nearly forty years and I know I've still got a lot to learn. But I do try to learn from others.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'd like some of you to look closely at the entries and consider their qualities as a photograph, not the train featured or location. Of course, this is how it should always be considred, but I don't think that it is in every case.

There are a number of nice photos which are under exposed and one over exposed. This is a shame, because they all have godd other qualities. I'm not going to comment on every one, but I must mention a couple.

No. 7, a popular choice, is a great location and subject , but the image has a definite green cast and the colour is under-saturated. The cropping isn't right either. There is far too much wasted space on the left and not enough on the right.

No. 15 shows what the competition is about - a high quality photo. Examine this shot carefully. The composition is super, the cropping is spot on. Remember my previous comments on the "Rule of Thirds"? See where the train is positioned in the frame. See how there is just enough rail on view at the bottom. Note the framing by the OHLE gantry. the lighting is good, the shadows are not to strong. The overall exposure is exactly correct. The balance of the photo is precise, with the church on the right and the building on the extreme left. There is just enough sharpening. The colour is correct, having a slight blue bias, reflecting the white balance at the time.

No. 15 is an absolute textbook shot. I think I know who's work it is, but that's irrelevant. Look and learn people. None of the other photos in the comp (including my own) come anywhere near it for quality. If you vote for anything else, I believe you are not assessing the entries properly.

Sorry, if I offend anyone, but I'm trying to be constructive. Looking at the entries, it seems that most of the entrants have the potential to take really good photos. I'm trying to help you achieve this. I've been trying to improve my photography for nearly forty years and I know I've still got a lot to learn. But I do try to learn from others.

To be honest, if we had to judge all photos to professional standards, I doubt it would be around for long. the reason I like POTW as it is is because anyone can enter, you don't have to spend hundreds on professional equipment, and you tend not to be up against serious competition. I like the 'amateur' nature of the current system, I think if we all had to judge on cropping / exposure etc and made sure that all our entries were absolutely perfect, interest would decrease sharply.

curly42

Tend to agree with Matt on this - I love the amateur qualities of this competition and the fact (as I've said before) that a shot taken on a cheap mobile phone can beat one taken with highly expensive equipment.
Some people will vote for the type of power featured in the shot - always have done.Not saying that it's right or wrong,just that it's so.
Number 15 is indeed a technically superior shot,but I'm afraid I find it very dull and boring.No offence meant - that's just the way it is.

willig

The reason I like POTW as it is is because anyone can enter, you don't have to spend hundreds on professional equipment, and you tend not to be up against serious competition. I like the 'amateur' nature of the current system, I think if we all had to judge on cropping / exposure etc and made sure that all our entries were absolutely perfect, interest would decrease sharply.

Everything I have said can/should be applied to every level of equipment from mobile phones to pro equipment.

I wouldn't want to turn this into a pro competition - Heaven forbid! If it turned out that way, I'm afraid I'd have no chance of winning. I'm merely trying to help people improve their photography. Not giant leaps, but simple steps to help you get your shot more attractive. One result of an improvement in technique is; The better the shot, the more likely you are to want to look at it again and again. If the shot is poor, regardless of whether it contains your favourite motive power, you are less likely to bother looking at it again.

You can download free programmes like Picasa to make simple improvements in exposure and cropping without much trouble or skill.

If anyone doesn't want me to pass on my thoughts then please say so. I'll then shut up.

Crossover

Established Member
Everything I have said can/should be applied to every level of equipment from mobile phones to pro equipment.

I wouldn't want to turn this into a pro competition - Heaven forbid! If it turned out that way, I'm afraid I'd have no chance of winning. I'm merely trying to help people improve their photography. Not giant leaps, but simple steps to help you get your shot more attractive. One result of an improvement in technique is; The better the shot, the more likely you are to want to look at it again and again. If the shot is poor, regardless of whether it contains your favourite motive power, you are less likely to bother looking at it again.

You can download free programmes like Picasa to make simple improvements in exposure and cropping without much trouble or skill.

If anyone doesn't want me to pass on my thoughts then please say so. I'll then shut up.

Your comments are appreciated and some of the things you have mentioned I do try to think more about when taking pictures (maybe less about the rule of thirds but exposure and such and keeping the camera straight)

I will probably PM you after the end of this weeks competition :)

Teaboy1

#9 for me .......... it's not had the most hits but it ticks all the right boxes.

By the way admin ..... the number of hits a photo has IMHO does influence the trend in future voting .... what do you think about hiding that info .... then its down to our comments and own choice ... not following the crowd like sheep etc etc ????

...just a thought ...!!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I really liked 5 and 7; I cou couldn't decide.

I went for 5 in the end as it stood out to me the most.

valenta

12 is stunning and the contrast of the train and background in 15 is beautifully striking.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Some fantastic entries, as always. Another tough choice, but I think 15 for me.

Crossover

Established Member
Congratulations to the owner of photo 7 - nice picture and a deserved win :)
Will be interesting to see the theme for next week

Also, thanks to whoever voted for my photo (17 of the drag at Llandudno Junction) :)

Jordy

Established Member
By the way admin ..... the number of hits a photo has IMHO does influence the trend in future voting .... what do you think about hiding that info .... then its down to our comments and own choice ... not following the crowd like sheep etc etc ????

...just a thought ...!!

Well as the number of hits doesn't serve any real purpose I have removed it :)

EltonRoad

I'm going to be a pain and ask for it to be reinstated. I think it does give a flavour of what's popular and what isn't, and is another factor that helps improve future photographs. Please bring it back!

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to EltonRoad

thumb_POTW_002~3.JPG

01 - Techniquest
02 - Railfreight 90
03 - David
04 - Simon Poole
05 - willig
06 - Grantham
07 - EltonRoad
08 - Track Basher
09 - sprinterguy
10 - steve 46010
11 - Harbon 1
12 - K9-70
13 - curly42
14 - bennett
15 - 33056
16 - CallySleeperKid
17 - sellis89
18 - MattE2010

EltonRoad

Can we have the number of views back please? I don't know how long Teaboy1 has been on here for but I've been entering this competition almost every week for the last 2 years so I think I should be listened to!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Can we have the number of views back please? I don't know how long Teaboy1 has been on here for but I've been entering this competition almost every week for the last 2 years so I think I should be listened to!

I agree that it should be removed during voting, but after the results I think it should be shown once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.