• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction progress: TPE 350/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh right, take it that it will come up the WCML.

Was just wondering if, given that both the TPE and LM parts of the order are relatively small, perhaps all the units will get their final checks together? So possibly at Kings Heath (Northampton), prior to onward delivery to Ardwick?
Saves the various reps from the Rosco and Siemens having to be in two places at once...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It's not that hard - 158/159 and the 172 are examples of great looking trains with corridor connections.
I agree, 158s and 159s (especially without the window in the corridor connection) look great (except the Scotrail ones with most of the headlight area plated over in yellow). The LM 172s are not perfect (I prefer 377s) but I still think they look better than 170s or other operators' 172s.

Actually, that's a common theme, I think multiple units with corridor connections look better than slab-fronted ones. Eg. I think UK 158s look better than the ones in Thailand and 150/2s look better than 150/1s. The front of a class 380 though isn't nice to look at.

Some multiple units without corridor connections (ignoring streamlined 125mph units like Voyagers, which generally are good looking) that I think are good-looking are 332s (Heathrow Express) and 333s.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd extend it- 317s/SWT 455s, of most varients, look better than the smooted over ScotRail 318s- though Southerns 455s (with simpler plating over) are horrible and the 317/7s are just wrong.

southern442

Established Member
I note it describes them as 100mph units; I had thought that (like the LM units) they would be set-up for 110mph running.

Exactly what I was thinking; yet they describe the trains as "faster" when they're certainly not :lol:

This is a little off-topic but on the subject of 350's, are the 350/1's normally diagrammed for longer distance (e.g. Crewe) and the 350/2's normally diagrammed on shorter distance (e.g. Milton Keynes)? Because the seating arrangements on the former are a lot more intercity-style than the 3+2 on the latter?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Catering provision and stuff.

I suspect that's an error on the part of whoever typed the description. All new 350s will be capable of 110. The video gets it right by saying the new trains are faster (presumably than a 185, which can do 100).

Whoops, didn't read your commernt :oops:

sd0733

Established Member
Exactly what I was thinking; yet they describe the trains as "faster" when they're certainly not :lol:

This is a little off-topic but on the subject of 350's, are the 350/1's normally diagrammed for longer distance (e.g. Crewe) and the 350/2's normally diagrammed on shorter distance (e.g. Milton Keynes)? Because the seating arrangements on the former are a lot more intercity-style than the 3+2 on the latter

350/1s are diagrammed for any service which runs via weedon (avoiding northampton) due to the 110mph top speed. Also certain birmingham-euston runs are /1s as they run fast line from ledburn-euston.
It certainly isn't particularly unusual to get a /2 on a Crewe-euston though.

joeykins82

Presumably a 350 capped at 100mph is still "faster" than a 100mph 185 because it accelerates quicker; it may reach the same speed but it gets there quicker.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Presumably a 350 capped at 100mph is still "faster" than a 100mph 185 because it accelerates quicker; it may reach the same speed but it gets there quicker.

Does it? 185s are remarkably fast at accellerating.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Quite. Despite being lardy, 185s were designed as and thus powered/geared as trans Penine hill climbers, so they should presumably be pretty nippy from a standing start.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Quite. Despite being lardy, 185s were designed as and thus powered/geared as trans Penine hill climbers, so they should presumably be pretty nippy from a standing start.
From what I heard in the past, alongside with the 172s, they are the fastest accelerating DMUs we have.

joeykins82

Fair enough, I'd just assumed that an EMU will out-accelerate a DMU. Looking at the stats on Wikipedia the kW/T calculations come out in favour of the c185 over the 350, but presumably that's at the engine's peak power output and doesn't factor in any efficiency loss in transmission

MCR247

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, 185s have good acceleration, but I doubt they'd out accelerate a 350 (at one point the fastest accelerating EMU, could still be)

Monty

Established Member
It looks like the unit is in the old silverlink livery, I assume they will get the by vinyl treatment rather than being painted?

joeykins82

The Silverlink livery was that awful green/blue/yellow combination, I think that's just the factory paint job for all Desiros

fgwrich

Established Member
The Silverlink livery was that awful green/blue/yellow combination, I think that's just the factory paint job for all Desiros

Not quite, as the previous livery carried by the 350s was a joint 'unified' livery as the 350s were used by both Central Trains Citylink Service (Birmingham to Liverpool) and Silverlink (London Euston to Northampton/Birmingham), allowing any which 350 to operate either TOCs service.

joeykins82

I figured that just was sensible "we're not going to vinyl wrap these since we don't know who'll be running the franchise" cost saving.

Eagle

Established Member
Or it could be that the vinyls were always planned to be made and applied in Britain. Which makes sense because the livery is nothing to do with Siemens.

cj_1985

Ah yes... I had almost forgotten that some were delivered in the old Barbie style livery. It may not have been as "Modern" as the Dynamic Lines livery... but it was almost "Classy"

On the subject of the 350/4s... ISTR there was mention made(on here I think) that the 350/4s may only receive a waist high vinyl band, similar to what the 158s received when FTPE took over the trans-pennine franchise... so its not definite that the 350s will receive a full vinyl wrap livery

Status
Not open for further replies.