• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction progress: TPE 350/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
20130605-Steve_Bridge_023.JPG

From the TPE Google+

I guess I hoped that for consistency, they would have the same seat covers as the 185s, but meh does it really matter? When I first looked through these pictures I thought they would be the same blue ones as the present /1s (which it always surprises me are blue... all the other new ones were LM green!) but they look like something completely different to either!

The seat moquette designers for UK Trains are certainly kept busy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
When I first looked through these pictures I thought they would be the same blue ones as the present /1s (which it always surprises me are blue... all the other new ones were LM green!)

The 350/1s were delivered three years before LM existed (and haven't been reupholstered since).

They were shared between Central and Silverlink and kept the neutral livery they were delivered in for that time.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm not sure how well that dark blue will wear

The LM /1s look like they are trying to de-brand themselves now too...one I was on last Saturday was in a right mess at the front!

Also, I must say, those seats really don't line up to windows well.........

nrturner

If you look at some of the other photos on the TPE Google+ page, you'll see that many of the seats line up with the windows, but not all.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you look at some of the other photos on the TPE Google+ page, you'll see that many of the seats line up with the windows, but not all.

Perhaps Siemens should have done different window positions for 450, 360, 350/1, 350/2, 350/3 and 350/4, depending on the exact seating layout chosen.

OTOH possibly not...

Class377/5

Established Member
Of course its been forgotten that TPE specified the layout to make it more intercity means that Siemens did as the customer asked.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Was on a Pendolino today, had forgotten how short the windows were, was like being on a plane and having to crouch down to look out...

Class377/5

Established Member
Was on a Pendolino today, had forgotten how short the windows were, was like being on a plane and having to crouch down to look out...

Last time I was on one of them I paid for a window seat. Got complete plastic instead.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last time I was on one of them I paid for a window seat. Got complete plastic instead.

I had a ride in a DB ICE yesterday (Cologne-Brussels).
Misaligned seats, bumpy ride, worn interior, noisy foul-mouthed football supporters for company (Londoners).
And 4 sets of doors were out of use with tatty orange labels.
Passengers had to move 2 coaches down to get on/off.

By comparison, VT's Pendos are fine.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I had a ride in a DB ICE yesterday (Cologne-Brussels).
Misaligned seats, bumpy ride, worn interior, noisy foul-mouthed football supporters for company (Londoners).
And 4 sets of doors were out of use with tatty orange labels.
Passengers had to move 2 coaches down to get on/off.

By comparison, VT's Pendos are fine.

My eyes are burning reading this. How dare you suggest that Europe's railways are not perfect.

I wonder why drunk Londoners were on your train... ? Oh Arsenal?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The WCML 350 initial livery was "neutral" - a reverse "BR" blue and grey - somewhat akin to the old vac brake Manchester Pullman. They look great in the LM livery , I think.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The WCML 350 initial livery was "neutral" - a reverse "BR" blue and grey - somewhat akin to the old vac brake Manchester Pullman. They look great in the LM livery , I think.

LM is one of the more pleasing liveries i find. Especially on the 350s, 170s and 323s.

pemma

Veteran Member
LM is one of the more pleasing liveries i find. Especially on the 350s, 170s and 323s.

Having seen their remaining 150s in the standard LM livery it does make their oldest trains actually look quite modern when they are sat idle at a station. Hearing the amount of noise when a 150 pulsl in at Bletchley, where all the other stock is modern electric, sort of cancels out that modern effect the livery has.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Having seen their remaining 150s in the standard LM livery it does make their oldest trains actually look quite modern when they are sat idle at a station. Hearing the amount of noise when a 150 pulsl in at Bletchley, where all the other stock is modern electric, sort of cancels out that modern effect the livery has.

Well yes! And the draft whenever a train goes past too!

Seems to be consensus then that these will only get FTPE branding not a livery?

pemma

Veteran Member
I guess I hoped that for consistency, they would have the same seat covers as the 185s, but meh does it really matter?

First Group do seem to have moved to blue seat covers on trains now. The recent FGW refresh/refurbishments have involved using dark blue seat covers, opposed to the purple seat covers that they ordered the 175s, 180s and 185s with and also the ones FNW gave to the 323s when they refreshed them.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
First Group do seem to have moved to blue seat covers on trains now. The recent FGW refresh/refurbishments have involved using dark blue seat covers, opposed to the purple seat covers that they ordered the 175s, 180s and 185s with and also the ones FNW gave to the 323s when they refreshed them.

...and since they pulled out of London First Group no longer uses moquette for any of its buses. The last buses for London (and elsewhere prior to the use of drab gray "leather") had the same moquette as the 185s.

Class377/5

Established Member
Now reported that the next 350/4 delivery will be the week starting 25th November and will be two units. So TPE is to get three before the timetable change (but won't all be in service until mid Dec at best).

Starmill

Veteran Member

Very true. Hull Trains are blue too. TPE are often out of date with things like this: they're still using their old logo on the trains (and letterheads!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some subtle differences to the "neutral" livery that the /1s had- compare versus
this
More yellow round the sides- all the way to the cab door, not curved
No blue band at the windows.

Well spotted.

They have the black on the corridor connection like the /2 as well, so they're sticking with that too.

Eagle

Established Member
Some subtle differences to the "neutral" livery that the /1s had- compare versus
this
More yellow round the sides- all the way to the cab door, not curved
No blue band at the windows.

Indeed. In fact looking at it closer, the livery the 350/4s are in is actually debranded and decoloured LM livery (the yellow and black bits at the front are the same). Also the unit number is in LM's font and that is really going to annoy me if it stays like that :roll::P

Aictos

Established Member
Now reported that the next 350/4 delivery will be the week starting 25th November and will be two units. So TPE is to get three before the timetable change (but won't all be in service until mid Dec at best).

Don't suppose you have any inking of what services the 350/4s will be on bearing in mind train crew training and all that etc...

Would I be wrong in thinking that for starters, a 4 car 350/1 will allow a 6 car 185 to be used elsewhere then once all the 350/4s are available will TPE be running them as 8 car 350/4s on the Scotlands?

Also another quick query with the 350/3s AND 350/4s, will they be 110mph capable from the get go?

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Interesting, so there is a chance that their may be one avaliable for the service launch.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Very true. Hull Trains are blue too. TPE are often out of date with things like this: they're still using their old logo on the trains (and letterheads!).
Old logo? Are you talking about the First logo? I don't see any differences with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.