• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless Payments On Board Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Following up my own post, Stagecoach now accept Contactless and NAT and Cardiff Bus will do so by the end of this month. Progress has been rapid!

True - it's funny how quickly it's been adopted over the past twelve months or so - it's just become second nature for me - which means I'm using the bus more because I don't have to worry about having change.

Some variations around these parts - Stagecoach sell everything contactlessly, First only do single/day tickets (no weekly passes.

Does anyone know about Birmingham? I'm due down there shortly, dunno if National Express have the machines yet (?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh please do, it's hilarious when they issue a cash ticket when you've specifically told them you want to pay by contactless and they've got to do it again. I've noticed that more drivers are now asking as well where you're going to when you buy a short hop £1.60 fare by contactless. Yet again, this is happening by Blantyre drivers.

May try it on my home this afternoon, see if I get a driver who's paying attention or not.

sonic2009

Established Member
I’ve seen somewhere there is a trial on NX Coventry with contactless on the University of Warwick services.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Does anyone know about Birmingham? I'm due down there shortly, dunno if National Express have the machines yet (?)

Rotala in Birmingham do on their Diamond bus services (along with 0.5p cashback on receipt hog).

NXWM do on two routes only. The 11 Leamington to Coventry and 12X Coventry to University are the only two.

dgl

Established Member
First in Dorset now have contactless payments via new ticketr machines. not seen anyone use it yet probably as most people seem to have weekly tickets (which now have to be scanned) or ENCTS passes.

martin2345uk

Established Member
What happens if you get a bus that takes contactless and don't have cash, but the contactless isn't working - do you just have to wait for the next one?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
What happens if you get a bus that takes contactless and don't have cash, but the contactless isn't working - do you just have to wait for the next one?

On the First Glasgow Ticketer machines, if contactless isn't working, then the whole machine has some sort of fault and won't do anything and drivers will let passengers on without paying. I've experienced it on a couple of occasions whereby I've not had to pay due to a fault with the ticket machine.

[.n]

First in Dorset now have contactless payments via new ticketr machines. not seen anyone use it yet probably as most people seem to have weekly tickets (which now have to be scanned) or ENCTS passes.

I posted about this earlier in the thread already. But I've used it a number of times now. Its very counter intuitive I've ended up very kindly offering to pay cash 3 times so far already

[.n]

Based on my experience with First, they'll probably just withdraw contactless as an option :)

They did for their m-bus tickets on my route as 2 people (me included) had problems with them [the app is stupidly designed to not open at all if there is no internet connection, as bus wifi is crap, and my route is in the countryside - guess what happened on a regular basis!] .

In answer to your question I would expect to travel on my original bus for free, especially as there can be a 3 hour wait for the next one!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I posted about this earlier in the thread already. But I've used it a number of times now. Its very counter intuitive I've ended up very kindly offering to pay cash 3 times so far already

What is counter intuitive about it out of interest? Logic (unless you do touch on and off) would be state destination, driver chooses ticket, you touch your card on a pad London style, machine automatically issues. Is it not something like that?

As to drivers refusing, surely it's less effort than doing a cash fare with change?

route101

Established Member
Definitely more people using it in Glasgow . Id say loads are using the m tickets app , i think there should be a physical card that you can top online as phones can run out od charge or crash .

route101

Established Member
And some drivers mump and moan still if you want to pay by contactless. It seems to the Blantyre drivers the have the moans about it.

Wonder why the Blantyre drivers would moan ? Maybe tehy dont see it as much but the 18. 267 and 21 etc go into town

[.n]

What is counter intuitive about it out of interest? Logic (unless you do touch on and off) would be state destination, driver chooses ticket, you touch your card on a pad London style, machine automatically issues. Is it not something like that?

As to drivers refusing, surely it's less effort than doing a cash fare with change?

Rather than state destination first, you have to state payment method first. Also if you take your card off the reader before it has printed ticket and receipt , the transaction seems to fail.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well, I tried it earlier today. No complaints or funny looks were had and the transaction went through without a hitch.

Typhoon

Established Member
Rather than state destination first, you have to state payment method first. Also if you take your card off the reader before it has printed ticket and receipt , the transaction seems to fail.

Judging from the number of ENCTS card reading 'fails' on our local buses, contactless may not speed up getting on if this is the case.

Ash35

A recent thread saw a lot of criticism for Lothian Buses because their vehicles don't yet allow contactless payments to be made by bank cards.

Whilst it's obviously desirable technology, it felt a little unfair since the vast majority of buses elsewhere in the UK don't yet provide that facility, as far as I was aware.

Then I read elsewhere that Stagecoach's buses in Yorkshire are to be upgraded shortly - the website (https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/national/contactless) shows that this is already "the norm" in Oxford, Manchester, "North East" and "South East".

First have started offering it in Bristol, with other areas over the next two years (https://www.firstgroup.com/about-us/news/first-bus-contactless-commitment-customers).

Arriva certainly have contactless in the north east of England (https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/bus-tickets/contactless-payment/).

So, how many other areas currently have this? Where is the biggest gap without it?

Stagecoach North West accept contacless cards now on all the fleet.

NewbieDoobie

And some drivers mump and moan still if you want to pay by contactless. It seems to the Blantyre drivers the have the moans about it.
I prefer when they pay by card, saves me a bit of work lol. I worked at Cardiff Bus too, some routes were contactless last year but there it made no difference to the driver as we were cashless buses anyway.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

It seems that, having identified your fare to the driver and them having set the machine up for it, adopting the London approach of tapping your card on the reader is likely to lead to an error when using contactless elsewhere - as you say, the best approach seems to leave your card in place on the reader until the ticket has been issued.

I assume there are numerous different implementations and varieties of hardware, software and processes at work at different bus operators so perhaps best not to generalise too much, but my experience is the overall ticket purchasing transaction not quite as snappy as it could be. Regardless, it's a great development that contactless is now being widely (though by no means universally) accepted on buses across the land.

Volvodart

Established Member
Stagecoach North Scotland launched their contactless at a ceremony in Aberdeen today. The press release notes it is not going to be available on East Scotland's X7 until late 2018.

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Blazefield are introducing contactless to all services operated by Harrogate, Keighley, Coastliner and York & Country on Sunday.

Established Member
Transdev Blazefield are introducing contactless to all services operated by Harrogate, Keighley, Coastliner and York & Country on Sunday.

Lancashire any time soon? Though I would guess potential contactless use is lower and there are perhaps more pressing matters to deal with on Rosso.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Stagecoach really need to get their finger out and get the newer ERG's in place here in Scotland. Can't believe that East and West Scotland are still lacking behind when a lot of operations in England and also South Wales.

Observer

Stagecoach really need to get their finger out and get the newer ERG's in place here in Scotland. Can't believe that East and West Scotland are still lacking behind when a lot of operations in England and also South Wales.
I do find it strange that they didn't just get them sorted at the same time the Citylink machines changed over. Doubt there's much training needed anyway, it's only a newer model of the machine they've been using, not exactly a new system altogether unlike most other operators.

ashworth

Established Member
Does anyone know if Stagecoach South East in Kent accept contactless. Visiting the area in a few weeks time and will be needing a 7 Day South East Megarider loading onto my Smartcard. For some reason these cannot be ordered online like similar tickets in other areas of the country and have to be purchased from the driver.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Does anyone know if Stagecoach South East in Kent accept contactless. Visiting the area in a few weeks time and will be needing a 7 Day South East Megarider loading onto my Smartcard. For some reason these cannot be ordered online like similar tickets in other areas of the country and have to be purchased from the driver.

Yeah Stagecoach South East accept contactless, so you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.