• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1ller

Established Member
I don’t know what’s worse, the horrible engine sound of a 150 or that....... actually, it’s that, that is way worse!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
Really gutted I can't make it, even though it's only ten minutes drive from my house. Damn work!
Being self-employed and nobody caring when you work aside from showing up to meetings has its perks, even if I do need to head all the way from Glasgow. :)

snowball

Established Member
In relation to the question of whether the 230s fit the IoW tunnel, the October Modern Railways article reports Adrian Shooter saying they do, and that all 230s built so far include 45mm of packing "to lift the trains" (meaning to raise their floors? or to facilitate lifting them in the depot?) which would be omitted for the IoW.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In relation to the question of whether the 230s fit the IoW tunnel, the October Modern Railways article reports Adrian Shooter saying they do, and that all 230s built so far include 45mm of packing "to lift the trains" (meaning to raise their floors? or to facilitate lifting them in the depot?) which would be omitted for the IoW.
The D78 is a bit wider than heavy rail stock, especially just above platform level where it is totally flat-sided but most stock tapers in. The packing is apparently to lift the body up a bit so it clears the platforms. On the IoW the platforms are presumably much lower to suit the Tube stock so this wouldn't be an issue.

hwl

Established Member
+45mm to give more space to get the diesel engine raft underneath

Silverlinky

WMT's unit (230003) has been out on a number of test runs so far.
These test runs are being undertaken by drivers from Vintage Trains, and are being used for mileage accumulation and other testing. This has been taking place around 2000-2100 time.
WMT have started training drivers on the units however this is being undertaken on the unit in the day when it is static.

snowball

Established Member
+45mm to give more space to get the diesel engine raft underneath
If so, the statement that IoW trains would omit the packing rules out any hypothesis that they would be diesel powered to avoid renewing the conductor rail or its power supplies.

Journeyman

Established Member
If so, the statement that IoW trains would omit the packing rules out any hypothesis that they would be diesel powered to avoid renewing the conductor rail or its power supplies.

They won't be diesel powered, battery is the most likely solution.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
WMT's unit (230003) has been out on a number of test runs so far.
These test runs are being undertaken by drivers from Vintage Trains, and are being used for mileage accumulation and other testing. This has been taking place around 2000-2100 time.
WMT have started training drivers on the units however this is being undertaken on the unit in the day when it is static.

I thought i heard something different last night!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I presume these are being touted by Vivarail during the demonstration runs of the battery unit 230002 on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway which commenced today. A marketing drive, but I have difficulty envisaging where 60mph battery units such as these would be appropriate within the Scotrail franchise, which already has a compehensive rolling stock strategy in place.

superalbs

Established Member
I presume these are being touted by Vivarail during the demonstration runs of the battery unit 230002 on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway which commenced today. A marketing drive, but I have difficulty envisaging where 60mph battery units such as these would be appropriate within the Scotrail franchise, which already has a compehensive rolling stock strategy in place.
Maybe Anniesland?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Presumably these are from a Vivarail presentation- it would be interesting to know who they presented to and what lines they envisage the battery 230s suitable for, given the fairly comprehensive rolling stock programme currently being implemented in Scotland

reddragon

Established Member
Nothing to see here, fake news the 230 will never work, it is a mirage . . . .

or of course some congratulations to Vivarail for getting a battery train operating with passengers?

Well done Vivarail. Now that was not that hard was it!

Glenmutchkin

The first public train from Bo'ness to Manuel ran without any obvious hiccups this morning. There seemed to be plenty of interest with all seats taken and a few people standing.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Presumably these are from a Vivarail presentation- it would be interesting to know who they presented to and what lines they envisage the battery 230s suitable for, given the fairly comprehensive rolling stock programme currently being implemented in Scotland

Perhaps at the behest of Scotrail to frighten punters moaning about the HST sets into stopping....

"Here's what you might get instead...." ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Maybe Anniesland?
That could be a very good shout for a suitable small scale, shuttle-like operation. Thanks for that, I had completely overlooked that service. The Vivarail offering seems tailor made for niche, end to end operations such as this.
Unless Vivarail could be touting it as a cheaper option for new lines - I.e Levenmouth or a shuttle from Dunfermline to Alloa - That way allowing a cheaper re-opening of services along this line?
I don't doubt that Vivarail are considering all possibilities to get a few more orders in the book - and it could well be a "cheap and cheerful" way to provide appropriate rolling stock for some modest reopening projects. There may be a handful of options in Scotland after all.

Last edited:

mushroomchow

A marketing drive, but I have difficulty envisaging where 60mph battery units such as these would be appropriate within the Scotrail franchise, which already has a compehensive rolling stock strategy in place.

Could be scope for diesel version use on the West Highland or Far North lines perhaps. Not sure if either would be a feasible stomping ground for the battery version being shown off though, as both would be beyond the project's current range limit.

The SNP will be on any hint of "London cast-offs" like Mary Whitehouse on the F Word, mind you - I imagine the sluggish HST introduction is already being bandied around Holyrood as proof of a sinister Westminster plot against Scotland's infrastructure programmes through th. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Could be scope for diesel version use on the West Highland or Far North lines perhaps. Not sure if either would be a feasible stomping ground for the battery version being shown off though, as both would be beyond the project's current range limit.
:| I wouldn't agree with them appearing on long distance scenic lines such as the West Highland or Far North lines in any form, unless Vivarail offer a version featuring armchairs and a bar over the usual spartan layouts they've been marketing. ;) The 156s even in their dated unrefurbished state still seem more appropriate than converted Underground stock.

mde

The 156s even in their dated unrefurbished state still seem more appropriate than converted Underground stock.
Wait until you have to deal with their refurbished state… lovely trains, awful seats.

The 230s might not be the best for the WHL, but, there might be uses for them elsewhere. That said, I’m not sure longitudinal seating would go down well though - the only train in Scotland that has it is the subway, and that’s because of the gauge… perhaps this would be where the Vivarail flexibility comes in.

sprinterguy

Established Member
That said, I’m not sure longitudinal seating would go down well though - the only train in Scotland that has it is the subway, and that’s because of the gauge… perhaps this would be where the Vivarail flexibility comes in.
I think that either low-backed 2+2 seating as will be fitted to the five Welsh units, or a mix of high-backed 2+2 and longitudinal seating as found on the LNR Marston Vale units, would be suitable on a 22 minute end to end journey with frequent stops like Anniesland - Glasgow Queen Street, which is presumably the sort of service that Vivarail would be angling a battery unit at.

mde

I think that either low-backed 2+2 seating as will be fitted to the five Welsh units, or a mix of high-backed 2+2 and longitudinal seating as found on the LNR Marston Vale units, would be suitable on a 22 minute end to end journey with frequent stops like Anniesland - Glasgow Queen Street, which is presumably the sort of service that Vivarail would be angling a battery unit at.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be suitable - it just might not be very well received. The 'mix' concept is actually rather good in theory :smile:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The SNP will be on any hint of "London cast-offs" like Mary Whitehouse on the F Word, mind you - I imagine the sluggish HST introduction is already being bandied around Holyrood as proof of a sinister Westminster plot against Scotland's infrastructure programmes through th. :rolleyes:
Transport Scotland has been pragmatic in accepting cascaded HSTs and 320s (321s), plus 365s to cover for the 385 fleet which is delayed about as much as the HSTs are.

gingertom

Established Member
I was at Bo'ness today and rode on the battery 230 and chatted with Vivarail staff. They reckon it is suitable for East Kilbride, Maryhill and Mallaig to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.