• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How many units are there? I heard talk of there being 5, which would be 3 for Wrexham-Bidston (I think a 4th isn't needed because some services will be fast?), 1 spare...but one for where? Permanently on the Conwy Valley?

craigybagel

Established Member
Ideally both units on this line will be 230 by October, possibly by the May timetable change.

Given nobody has been trained on them yet (since they haven't been delivered) I would say that May is very optimistic.

How many units are there? I heard talk of there being 5, which would be 3 for Wrexham-Bidston (I think a 4th isn't needed because some services will be fast?), 1 spare...but one for where? Permanently on the Conwy Valley?

All 5 for Bidston is the eventual plan. 4 in service and 1 spare. Given how tight the timetable is, even with one service per hour being semi fast you'll still need 4 units for a reliable service. Conwy Valley will be getting CAFs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All 5 for Bidston is the eventual plan. 4 in service and 1 spare. Given how tight the timetable is, even with one service per hour being semi fast you'll still need 4 units for a reliable service. Conwy Valley will be getting CAFs.

So the plan is for a reliability gain by having a semifast and a stopping service rather than just doubling the stopping service. That's unusual foresight for the railway!

Peter C

Established Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but have the testing runs finished on the Cotswold Line around Honeybourne or Long Marston?

Thanks,
-Peter

Neen Sollars

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but have the testing runs finished on the Cotswold Line around Honeybourne or Long Marston?

Thanks,
-Peter
Peter, Short answer; Yes. Vivarail tend to run the test trains 230001 and 230002 around the test track at Long Marston. They sent all three units for the Marston Vale contract out for testing on the Evesham to Moreton in Marsh line prior to the delivery run to the customer. Next testing on the main line could be a Transport for Wales three car set, or the two car battery train that is going to the USA on a sales mission. Expect to see the four car Hydrogen set testing on the main line at the end of 2019.

Peter C

Established Member
Peter, Short answer; Yes. Vivarail tend to run the test trains 230001 and 230002 around the test track at Long Marston. They sent all three units for the Marston Vale contract out for testing on the Evesham to Moreton in Marsh line prior to the delivery run to the customer. Next testing on the main line could be a Transport for Wales three car set, or the two car battery train that is going to the USA on a sales mission. Expect to see the four car Hydrogen set testing on the main line at the end of 2019.
OK. Thank you very much.
-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They're sending one to the USA? Can't imagine there's much scope for them with the crash regulations they have there. Presumably they'd be restricted to light-rail tracks which don't carry any freight?

Antman

Established Member
It’ll be about the modular drivetrain. We sent LEV1 to the USA. And that was a bus on rails.

Low cost transit using modular parts so servicing and reasonable maintenance can be done in remote places. Truck engines in a crate able to be swapped out for batteries. Whatever, the tanks aren’t interested in buying up 230s, but the tech.

jimm

Established Member
They're sending one to the USA? Can't imagine there's much scope for them with the crash regulations they have there. Presumably they'd be restricted to light-rail tracks which don't carry any freight?

They explained last year how they would propose to operate in the US - by staying out of the way of freight operations.

https://www.railjournal.com/regions/north-america/vivarail-d-train-to-be-tested-in-us-cities/

Posner says that with the established US practise of temporal separation – running passenger trains during one period and freight trains at other times, the lightweight Vivarail trains could be used on existing freight lines in urban areas with relatively little infrastructure expenditure.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...t-us-transit-market.html#.WrEdX1s5HhI.twitter

The D-Train would not meet all aspects of US main line safety regulation, particularly the crashworthiness requirements, and many railroads remain concerned about the potential insurance liability of passenger operations. However, Posner said the regulatory risk was ‘relatively low’, thanks to an ‘established pattern of diesel light rail’ using temporal separation between freight and passenger operations. This would allow the launch of a ‘pop-up’ transit service on existing low-density freight infrastructure at short notice and relatively low cost.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As Monday has been and gone and nothing from the locals I assume none have entered service.

Not yet - still a 150 & 153 out today.

no change yet also no sight of the 230's for a few days. My two sources are giving me conflicting details:

One said: Monday with the 150 going of lease last weekend

the other says: End of the month with the 153 & 150 going off lease then.

Who knows!

A0wen

On Moderation
no change yet also no sight of the 230's for a few days. My two sources are giving me conflicting details:

One said: Monday with the 150 going of lease last weekend

the other says: End of the month with the 153 & 150 going off lease then.

Who knows!

Well, one source is clearly wrong !

The other may or may not be wrong - time will tell !

MarkyT

Established Member
US generally are relaxing crashworthyness requirements to European levels where all traffic and infrastructure concerned is equipped with PTC (positive train control) or in UK-speak train protection technology of various kinds that can actively prevent collisions. I noted in one recent commuter rail scheme they used UK style trapping of freight sidings, yards and industrial spurs to prevent unattended freight cars rolling out onto passenger running lines.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I bloody knew it. Go on holiday and they bring in the new trains. Ffs!

Listen: if I find any of you have sat in my seat there will be hell on. And dont make a mess. It is new.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I bloody knew it. Go on holiday and they bring in the new trains. Ffs!

Listen: if I find any of you have sat in my seat there will be hell on. And dont make a mess. It is new.

Ooo...might go for a ride this evening!

So that's the 150 diagram, i.e. even hours off Bletchley during the day then 1551, 1736, 2001?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ooo...might go for a ride this evening!

So that's the 150 diagram, i.e. even hours off Bletchley during the day then 1551, 1736, 2001?

If the Bedford schoolkids are back today, I'm imagining the "what the heck's this?!" reactions as it draws in to each platform!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LNR Twitter seem to have admitted it is out, though only as an aside by retweeting the Marston Vale Community Rail Partnership's tweet with some photos...

Interestingly there has been no effort to hide their origins - there's a poster shown on that Tweet with a picture of LU D-stock and explaining about the conversion.

Looks a really nice interior for the role, though the lighting looks a little harsh.

Here's the Tweet:
https://twitter.com/marstonvalecrp/status/1120570358137069568

LowLevel

Established Member
I want to have a go now! I sincerely believe that characterful little trains like this on a secondary line with a decent community rail partnership are a positive thing. If the crew and passengers take ownership of 'their trains' they will be good for the local area.

Status
Not open for further replies.