• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No idea.

Have you found the answer yourself yet?

I just asked a general question as I am none too well at this point in time, having had a severe reaction to one of the six post-stroke drugs that I have to take on a daily basis.

I am well aware that there are others with seemingly inside Vivarail technical knowledge far in excess of my meagre grasp of Class 230 matters regarding technicalities.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
I just asked a general question as I am none too well at this point in time, having had a severe reaction to one of the six post-stroke drugs that I have to take on a daily basis.

Nasty. Are you on a clinical trial? It's often the best way to get more time with the best Consultants.

Great work is being done in London with stem cell treatment for stroke victims.

asylumxl

Established Member

You have my sympathy and I can empathise, as I recently had a reaction to eye drops used post corneal graft, which are supposed to prevent rejection and reduce inflammation...

boxy321

Given that the Nun-Cov train is knackered this morning, now would be a great time to give it a try.

najaB

Veteran Member
Would the fact it was pathed for 75mph maximum have any impact - given that it's a 60mph unit? I know it's a short, late-night path but it'll be making longer journeys before long.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
Would the fact it was pathed for 75mph maximum have any impact - given that it's a 60mph unit? I know it's a short, late-night path but it'll be making longer journeys before long.

Eek.

It would cause a right old rumpus on these forums if it was found that the unit was permitted to travel at 75mph on NR metals.

najaB

Veteran Member
It would cause a right old rumpus on these forums if it was found that the unit was permitted to travel at 75mph on NR metals.
I'm quite sure it didn't exceed it's speed limit (or possibly even reach it) - I was more wondering if it is always going to be pathed as a Sprinter due to the higher acceleration making up the difference? I seem to remember that being part of the discussion earlier in the thread.

The Planner

Veteran Member
In an ideal world it will have its own timing load and set of SRTs, that may happen it may not.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
After viewing the videos of the 230's, I have to say that I am impressed. Hopefully Northern and GWR will be encouraged by the DfT to take a certain number on as I can't imaging seeing a class 195 being used on the Penistone Line.

Should Northern have a 230 trial then the Pontefract, Penistone, Windermere, Barton, Brig and dare i say Denton lines would be as good a place to trial it on, as for GWR should they have a trail then other than the Devon and Cornwall branches I do think that the Westbury to Swindon shuttle (when I've used it its been a 153) could also be one service to trial it on.

There's only so much conversions and bi modes that can be produced, I do think that a three car class 230 would be suitble for a 142 replacement as its almost like for like and the way that the North has become busier over the past decade it won't be long before the 150's are converted to four car units since we won't have any 153's or Pacer stock after 2020 unless the 143's and 144's are converted to e14x.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Doesn't a 230 have superior power to weight than various types of 101 formation?
ALbeit maybe not the Power Twins.

It doesn't seem like it would be a catastrophic timetabling issue.

Established Member
After viewing the videos of the 230's, I have to say that I am impressed. Hopefully Northern and GWR will be encouraged by the DfT to take a certain number on as I can't imaging seeing a class 195 being used on the Penistone Line.

Should Northern have a 230 trial then the Pontefract, Penistone, Windermere, Barton, Brig and dare i say Denton lines would be as good a place to trial it on, as for GWR should they have a trail then other than the Devon and Cornwall branches I do think that the Westbury to Swindon shuttle (when I've used it its been a 153) could also be one service to trial it on.

There's only so much conversions and bi modes that can be produced, I do think that a three car class 230 would be suitble for a 142 replacement as its almost like for like and the way that the North has become busier over the past decade it won't be long before the 150's are converted to four car units since we won't have any 153's or Pacer stock after 2020 unless the 143's and 144's are converted to e14x.

Well if your impressed then I think you must have low standards, and for the umpteenth time, Northern has a franchise agreement which doesn't involve D trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well if your impressed then I think you must have low standards, and for the umpteenth time, Northern has a franchise agreement which doesn't involve D trains.

There has been a material change to the agreement, however, in the form of reduced electrification. It therefore isn't rocket science to conclude that there may be other changes to compensate, e.g. in the form of rolling stock.

lincolnshire

The franchise includes the rolling stock thats allocated to it which doesn,t include the D trains, but is there anything in the franchise agreement which says that Northern can,t hire some off its own back and use them?
At the end of the franchise or if they could get hold of better rolling stock they could just send them back? as they would not be part of the franchise agreement.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Surely we can all await the final results of these trials before indulging into flights of fancy and fantasy about what may or may not occur.

There are times when the words of a song really fits a line of thought. In this case, it is the Doris Day rendition of "Que sera sera"

nuneatonmark

But it's far more fun to continue to write off innovations such as the 230 well before any passengers have tried it or or the trial has finished. I say good luck to the trial, I hope it's successful.

ivanhoe

If they are much better than some of the units they hope to replace, then go for it, with the proviso that they are a short term solution to what will be the introduction of new or nearly new trains in the foreseeable future(5 years).

Fincra5

Established Member
I can't see all the hating for these 230's. Yes they're not "NEW" trains but they're a massive improvement compared to some stock and i'm sure offer better value for money if a TOC only requires a few units for Branch Lines.

Established Member
There has been a material change to the agreement, however, in the form of reduced electrification. It therefore isn't rocket science to conclude that there may be other changes to compensate, e.g. in the form of rolling stock.

As far as I am aware at present the reduction in electrification for Northern isn't that great ie the Windermere branch and Bolton - Wigan, which shouldn't require that that many units and might well be covered eventually by Bi-mode 319 if successful, or a bid for some of the Anglia units or keeping some 153's. I don't see the need for Northern to go scrambling around for D trains, which would add yet another type of train to Northern. which also happens to have limited flexibility compared to its existing stock.

For the Windermere branch In particular they could look at a few more 195's vice 331's or perhaps get the Northern Connect standard waived for this route and use the Bi-mode 319's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.