• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country HST withdrawals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say I’m a little surprised we’ve not seen an open access operator a la Lumo dip their toe into cross-country territory yet to compete with XC (and as has already been mentioned, domestic air travel) and tap into the unmet demand. Either with the 180s or preferably ordering some new 7/8/9 car 800x bimodes with interiors properly set up for intercity travel. It’s worked wonders for the ECML, and would be the kick up the DfTs backside that they need when it comes to managing the XC franchise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have to say I’m a little surprised we’ve not seen an open access operator a la Lumo dip their toe into cross-country territory yet to compete with XC (and as has already been mentioned, domestic air travel) and tap into the unmet demand. Either with the 180s or preferably ordering some new 7/8/9 car 800x bimodes with interiors properly set up for intercity travel. It’s worked wonders for the ECML, and would be the kick up the DfTs backside that they need when it comes to managing the XC franchise.

I've thought the same, though I think there just isn't enough demand for journeys not involving London to make it pay. The coaches also have a fair bit of the non-London intercity market.

The one bit of it that I think could pay is Manchester to Birmingham, but before XC cut to hourly there weren't paths.

O L Leigh

Established Member
All the more reason then, not to remove the HST's which already have the infrastructure in place to look after them.

Throughout the various IA threads we’ve been told that we need to make changes in order to cut costs. Well, welcome to the reality that this approach results in. Withdrawal of the HST fleet will realise savings over and above those incurred simply by their operation.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ideology beats practicality.
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Other versions of cognitive dissonance are available. Just not applicable within 1 hour of the M25.

Very true.

Throughout the various IA threads we’ve been told that we need to make changes in order to cut costs. Well, welcome to the reality that this approach results in. Withdrawal of the HST fleet will realise savings over and above those incurred simply by their operation.

Any savings will be fleeting if you degrade the service to the extent that you put off passenger/revenue growth.

Meerkat

Established Member
XC doesn’t make money so why would an OAO think they could?
To meet the abstraction rules they would need to do Something different AIUI - either new destinations or missing stops. Both are presumably rather hard to path.

Benjwri

Established Member
Both are presumably rather hard to path.
Even the exact same as XC would be rather hard to path I reckon. Passes through too many different areas and across too many routes like the GWML etc

Wynd

You cannot cut your way to growth.

The ambition really needs to be growing revenue and competing, hard, with the alternatives.

But that's sanity, and sanity is not in fashion, it seems.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Then its not interested in stemming the losses.

The government doesn’t care about profitability, or even about reducing losses. It’s only about reducing costs, and doing so regardless of the impact that it might have. This can be traced at least as far back as McNulty.

As things stand, it is extremely unlikely that any of the suggestions made in this thread will see the light of day. It’s not because they aren’t practical or sensible, but because no-one is prepared to pay for them.

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
A number of members have compared travel on the railways with travel by road. Specifically by private car.

At least a proportion of passengers on the railway either can’t drive, or don’t have access to a private car. Now, this may be a small proportion, or it may be significantly larger. It’s hard to tell.

AndrewE

Established Member
The government doesn’t care about profitability, or even about reducing losses. It’s only about reducing costs, and doing so regardless of the impact that it might have. This can be traced at least as far back as McNulty.

As things stand, it is extremely unlikely that any of the suggestions made in this thread will see the light of day. It’s not because they aren’t practical or sensible, but because no-one is prepared to pay for them.
It's also because they also don't give a toss about any of their climate change / CO2 emission reduction commitments. Given that roughly 40% of our emissions come from transport then modal shift from road to rail (and private vehicle to public transport) has got to be an important part of this.

Scrapping functional rolling stock when we need all the capacity (train length / seats) we can find to make best use of the existing network seems crazy. I am afraid that until the treasury are made responsible for the carbon budget we shall continue to see this silly penny-pinching blinkered approach to our infrastructure.

GoneSouth

Lengthening beyond 5 cars removes the ability to double them up.
But they’ll never have enough to double up anyway if they run the timetable they’re supposed to run. I’d say a permanent 6 or 7 coaches is preferable to a randomly selected 8 coach lottery

That was non-stop end to end, and weekend based wasn't it?
Only if you count Monday as the weekend which is when I used it to head to Disney :D

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
You cannot cut your way to growth.

The ambition really needs to be growing revenue and competing, hard, with the alternatives.

But that's sanity, and sanity is not in fashion, it seems.
Growing revenue means nothing if the costs grow faster.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't doubt it's been considered, but evidently there's just not enough demand; you might also run into issues with route capacity on some of the more congested parts. The routes over which XC operate are generally quite slow (especially when compared to the ECML, which is 125mph for much of its length) and so any such service will inherently be uncompetitive with flying.

The poor journey time increases the capital and operational cost of running - Lumo can run 5tpd with a fleet of 5 units, but you'd need far more units than that to run 5tpd between Bristol and Newcastle, for instance. It also has a concomitant impact on traincrew resources.

Realistically speaking I think it's unlikely we'll ever see any open access operators running on routes other than to/from London.

RobShipway

Established Member
voyagers have relatively low numbers of seats. a refit or new stock would offer way more capacity for the same unit length - and depending on how much the voyagers cost in lease may not actually be more expensive, so would drop the per seat cost. I do really think increasing capacity at a reduced per seat operating cost is the way forward for XC.

For comparison, a 5-car 802 has 326 seats (GWR) or 342 seats (TPE), a 5 car voyager has ~250 seats. That is a lot of extra seat within the same number of coaches, so same staffing costs, lower fuel costs (as bimode). So it would really come down to how much of a difference the leasing costs make.

and if new stock is ordered, it should include an option to add extra coaches within the existing trains when the demand increases - as I think is highly likely
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Class 802 carriages longer than those used in say a class 221?

Not sure if it is correct, but Wikipedia page for Class 802 has the following: Intermediate vehicles 26 m (85 ft 4 in)[1]
Class 221: 22.82 m (74 ft 10 in) other cars

Given the above, I suspect that you are likely to get more seats in a class 802 carriage than a 5 car voyager carriage.
But they’ll never have enough to double up anyway if they run the timetable they’re supposed to run. I’d say a permanent 6 or 7 coaches is preferable to a randomly selected 8 coach lottery

Only if you count Monday as the weekend which is when I used it to head to Disney :D
Problem with that is, there are some services where 4 or 5 coaches is enough for the demand of the train even if it is travelling down from Edingburgh to Penzance. So why should XC have to pay the extra cost in fuel to be using a 7-car say class 222, when the passengers are only filling say three out of the seven cars. I don't disagree, that for services where there is high demand a 7 to 10 car train is needed. Problem that you have is that services through the lunchtime period and after 6pm, depending where you are travelling do not need the full seven coaches.

So for example, GWR used to run 8 coach HST trains to Worcester Shrub Hill, now they only run 5 car class 8xx trains, which probaly for the most part holds the same number of passengers if required as the HST and also is probably correct for the number of people travelling on the service, especially leaving London Paddington at 19:28 this evening. Whereas the services that left Worcester Shrub Hill this morning at 05:14 which I believe was 800311, was a nine car train. Which would be correct, as by the time it got to both Reading and Maidenhead it would be rush hour period time. I am a little surprised that this service does not stop at Slough though.

Brubulus

I don't doubt it's been considered, but evidently there's just not enough demand; you might also run into issues with route capacity on some of the more congested parts. The routes over which XC operate are generally quite slow (especially when compared to the ECML, which is 125mph for much of its length) and so any such service will inherently be uncompetitive with flying.

The poor journey time increases the capital and operational cost of running - Lumo can run 5tpd with a fleet of 5 units, but you'd need far more units than that to run 5tpd between Bristol and Newcastle, for instance. It also has a concomitant impact on traincrew resources.

Realistically speaking I think it's unlikely we'll ever see any open access operators running on routes other than to/from London.
125 on XC Birmingham-Bristol would not be especially hard, but it would be quite expensive as it would require an LC closure/upgrade programme but it's one of the few places left where a linespeed increase would provide an actual journey time benefit. OA Manchester - Bristol would probably the only real market.

The general problem with XC ordering new units is that it will lead to scrapping units that are still in midlife, however leasing fees may be lower for 802s compared to Voyagers and Meridians but an order of around 30 5 coach 802s and 30 7 coach units would most likely be sufficent given a 7 coach unit would be equivalent to a 9 coach double voyager setup with a 5 car 802 being equivalent to 6.5 voyager coaches providing a huge increase in capacity. It really depends on cost but I don't want to see ROSCOS pricing in scrappage at half life in future, possibly a clause could be inserted that units must be leased in some form for at least 30 years to prevent this.

The Planner

Veteran Member
125 on XC Birmingham-Bristol would not be especially hard, but it would be quite expensive as it would require an LC closure/upgrade programme but it's one of the few places left where a linespeed increase would provide an actual journey time benefit. OA Manchester - Bristol would probably the only real market.
We havent managed it for 100 yet, let alone 125. The original project oversold what it was capable of as well.

On Moderation
It really depends on cost but I don't want to see ROSCOS pricing in scrappage at half life in future, possibly a clause could be inserted that units must be leased in some form for at least 30 years to prevent this.
That’s down to DfT, not the ROSCO, and the mechanism to do it already exists by using Section 54 agreements.

83G/84D

Established Member
Heard elsewhere that 43301 finishes service with cross Country today, anyone on here able to confirm?
It finishes today on 1V50 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth.

Annetts key

Established Member

Attachments

• Realtime Trains 1S51 1435 Bristol Temple Meads to Edinburgh 10032023.pdf
    376.6 KB · Views: 10

On Moderation
Heard elsewhere that 43301 finishes service with cross Country today, anyone on here able to confirm?
It finishes today on 1V50 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth.
It’s due D exam, I believe. With the fleet going, it may well not be authorised.

On the 09:48 GWR Taunton-Paddington via Temple Meads right now and a full 10 coach IET is rammed to bursting, borderline dangerously full and has been standing room only from Exeter by all accounts.

The Exeter-Bristol-Birmingham corridor has a lot of demand, with the HSTs going from both GWR and XC, I expect this sort of overcrowding to become the norm.

Particularly bitter about it today as I’m a disabled crutch user and no-one offered me a seat! Currently typing this in quite a lot of pain standing just outside the toilet, next time I’ll just take the car!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
All the more reason then, not to remove the HST's which already have the infrastructure in place to look after them.

No they don’t going forward. The contact for XC HST maintenance ends in October 23 and from December 23 Laira ceases HST maintainable to focus on cl802 exams.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No they don’t going forward. The contact for XC HST maintenance ends in October 23 and from December 23 Laira ceases HST maintainable to focus on cl802 exams.

That's just an administrative issue. The infrastructure is there and ready.

Three sheets of paper and a rubber stamp will sort it.

bramling

Veteran Member
For all the talk about this government, have Labour said ANYTHING about fleet reductions and services being shortened/removed?

The trouble is Labour are in an awkward position. They wanted more, deeper and longer Covid restrictions, so it’s very hard for them to oppose cuts without being shot down.

It’s one for Conservative backbenchers really, but how many of them care about rail services? Many of the said backbenchers know they’re going be out of a job in two years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.