• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerroar

On Moderation
Was pleasantly surprised to go on a Crosscountry HST from Cheltenham to Paignton yesterday, until I got on it.

Only ever go on GWR ones but this seemed a bit rubbish.

Or is it just me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sciisfun

when I do Exeter to Plymouth I always try and book a Crosscountry one over a GWR one, and hope for a HST over a 22x, But I book in advance, and travel in 1st, and XC offer a better service

Harbornite

Established Member
I've never had a problem with XC HSTs, they are fine to travel on IMO. Your statement is vague, how are they crap?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's no buffet car, and there seem to be fewer toilets than an average mk3 set, which can be a nuisance when they start running out of water. These are the only issues I can think of that might detract.

But generally, some of the best furnished trains around IMO, even down to the carpet.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Give me the interior of a XC HST any day over something like coach C on a high density GWR HST.

At least you can see more easily where vacant seats are

Clansman

Established Member
That's silly and totally wrong.

Seemed to have less legroom, be less furnished. Just not as nice as the interior of a GWR HST.

Besides the lack of tables, I find the XC HSTs to be the best kept in the network. They have the best colour scheme as well. Compared to GWR's High Density, "in your face" atmosphere to an interior, I'd of thought the XC HST would win hands down. The first class service is debatable on both GWR and XC but they do not fault for their first class seats.

Last edited:

TH172341

Having ridden XC's HST sets twice now I find them excellent - they're airy, well furnished, and the seats are comfortable.

GWR's are far more claustrophobic in their style, with higher backed seating and harsher white lights fitted. Personally far prefer the XC sets, and when you get a HST as opposed to a Voyager, it is a far better experience.

What is wrong with CrossCountry anyway? My dad travelled on an XC 170 from Audley End to Birmingham (just over 3 hours) once and he really liked it! Their colour scheme is pretty good too!

Only real issue with Cross Country is the lack of capacity on the Voyagers, which was not XC's fault in the first place. If XC had the additional units, or carriages, to strengthen the core services then there wouldn't be much wrong. The routes the 170s work tend to operate more smoothly in my experience, and at least the 170s have had a refresh. I find the customer service very good - the train staff usually helpful and attentive, and the delay repay system works well there in the two times I've had to use it. Basically, give it some capacity boosting investment and it would be a better franchise. Welcome to the forum by the way Ayman!

Last edited:

Dave1954

On Moderation
Well my wife and I are travelling tomorrow from Cheltenham spa on the 12-03 pm 1V50 to the south west just to avoid the voyages :) and we are both looking forward to it as its a XC 125 .
regards Dave1954 :)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There's no buffet car, and there seem to be fewer toilets than an average mk3 set, which can be a nuisance when they start running out of water. These are the only issues I can think of that might detract.

But generally, some of the best furnished trains around IMO, even down to the carpet.

There's no Buffet Car on Voyagers either

shyanthony

Couldn't disagree more.
Having travelled on both GWR and XC, the seats are at least 10 times more comfortable.

Is it bad that I'd rather get a Voyager than the GWR HD HST.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I thoroughly like the XC HSTs and I think they have the second best interior of the HSTs (Grand Central being my fave). Very surprised you didn't like it and very surprised you preferred a GWR one to it! They have much comfier seats than the GWR ones too. Apart from no buffet, I think they're excellent and can happily sit on one for hours on end without caring.

shyanthony

Whatever the virtues of the interiors of the Cross Country HSTs, to me they always look so scruffy on the outside.
True.
But no-one travels on the outside (in the UK at least)

As they say, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover...

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Thunderer

That's silly and totally wrong.

Seemed to have less legroom, be less furnished. Just not as nice as the interior of a GWR HST.

There is nothing nice about standard class in a FGW HST. High backed cramped seating. If you want a bit of comfort, you have to travel 1st class on FGW. XC standard class is far more pleasant and the seats are more comfortable thsn on FGW. If I travel using XC, I purposely try and use the HST's to avoid travelling on the awful, often overcrowded Voyagers:D

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have to say that I thought the XC HST I caught from Newcastle to the south west a few years ago was a better experience all round than a GWR HST.

I was gutted on my last trip to Plymouth that having booked a train that should have been an HST to return to Bristol, a Voyager turned up instead.

leomartin125

Have you ever been in an East Midlands Trains HST? If you think XC is bad, think again. They STILL have the old MK3 seats, tiny things with no headrest. Went on one and I don't think I would ever want to go on one again, even 1st Class had the same seats! Reminded me of a BR period HST....

najaB

Veteran Member
They STILL have the old MK3 seats, tiny things with no headrest. Went on one and I don't think I would ever want to go on one again, even 1st Class had the same seats!
There are some who say they are the best seats ever.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have to say that I thought the XC HST I caught from Newcastle to the south west a few years ago was a better experience all round than a GWR HST.

I was gutted on my last trip to Plymouth that having booked a train that should have been an HST to return to Bristol, a Voyager turned up instead.

Yes, I can empathise with that sinking feeling !

Rapidash

I use them on occasion between NTA and Exeter, and have also been on one from Brum recently.

Pros of the XC hst for me:

Bright
Not claustrophobic
Decent leg room
PIS displays
Generally not as crowded as the services from London.
Don't combust into gibbering wrecks at the first sight a stiff breeze

Cons:

Comparatively rare as hens teeth compared to the Voyagers

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Have you ever been in an East Midlands Trains HST? If you think XC is bad, think again. They STILL have the old MK3 seats, tiny things with no headrest. Went on one and I don't think I would ever want to go on one again, even 1st Class had the same seats! Reminded me of a BR period HST....

1st class on an EMT HST is one of the most comfortable trains on the network as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that even the standard ones included a head rest component in their original form.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
1st class on an EMT HST is one of the most comfortable trains on the network as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that even the standard ones included a head rest component in their original form.

They did not.

That I find the IC70 standard class seat comfortable

59CosG95

Established Member
One of the biggest gripes about the Voyagers for me is their mobile signal throttling. It may or may not be due to the polarised windows in the saloons, but that then leads to internet-hungry passengers (self-included) having to sign up to the (paid) WiFi. It also means you can't make phone-calls, which is incredibly frustrating, especially as Virgin have resolved the problem by boosting phone signal in their fleet. On the HSTs? No such problems.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Was pleasantly surprised to go on a Crosscountry HST from Cheltenham to Paignton yesterday, until I got on it.

Only ever go on GWR ones but this seemed a bit rubbish.

Or is it just me?

it is just you ;)

It is a very close argument between VT, XC and GC as to who has the best internals. All personal opinion of course. But i'm right ;)

(and compared to a voyager the XC HST are magnificent!)

Status
Not open for further replies.