• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry (XC) HST modifications including power doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
The first Castle set is not PRM capable, because it isn't in its final formation yet, and will be reformed. This has been mentioned in the GW version of this thread a few times.
PRM is more than wheelchair spaces and toilets though. Granted, GW01 doesn’t have them yet, but other elements of PRM work apply to all vehicles and GW01 is compliant in that regard.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
PRM is more than wheelchair spaces and toilets though. Granted, GW01 doesn’t have them yet, but other elements of PRM work apply to all vehicles and GW01 is compliant in that regard.
Yes of course. Ill amend the earlier reply to avoid confusion.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

There is no path leaving Doncaster for Craigtinney in RTT for the next few as of yet anyway. I wont hold my breath.

BestWestern

Established Member
Platform end dribble, I’m afraid.

There was a lot of work went into this at Wabtec before any order was placed, including setting up a test rig in a redundant Mark 3.

Ah, it's just a lack of a space then, wibble indeed! I did think it was a curious tale! We have to include a daily dribble quota of course :D

Personally I don't know why they didn't just use the same doors as 442s.... (runs for cover :lol::p)

Last edited:

nat67

Established Member
There is no path leaving Doncaster for Craigtinney in RTT for the next few as of yet anyway. I wont hold my breath.
I would imagine SR are biting their nails and pulling their hair out over the plug door coaches.

BestWestern

Established Member
But yes they are having sliding doors I know somethings can go a stray especially on some threads.

Ah, I read 'plug door coaches' and thought somehow they'd ended up going Chiltern style!

fgwrich

Established Member
Surprisingly not mentioned yet is that one of the XC Mk3s has been released from Doncaster, and made it's way up to Craigentinny yesterday behind ROGs 47813 and two FGW Barrier Vans - 6330 + 42036 + 6338.

Northhighland

Sounds like a bit of a problem building up with Wabtec, XC, Scotrail and GWR all waiting for mk3 coaches to get doors fitted. Surely there are others that can assist with this project and get it moving a bit quicker? seems not one set has been completed yet to everyones satisfaction. Surely time for someone to work out why this is so far behind?

Established Member
First XC Mk3 has moved to Edinburgh for crew and maintenance training. The rest of XC03 is expected to follow within the next month or so. It will be on test for a week or 2 then released onto the network.

DenmarkRail

First XC Mk3 has moved to Edinburgh for crew and maintenance training. The rest of XC03 is expected to follow within the next month or so. It will be on test for a week or 2 then released onto the network.

Does XC have a hire set on, to account for the loss of this set while it is being used for training / mods?

Domh245

Established Member
Presumably all of the powercars have received the necessary modifications?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Looks like the A0 printer is working at Doncaster as well because the ‘By Arriva’ branding has been added. Something I’ve not seen on any of the mk3s or powercars yet

DenmarkRail

What’s the point of these mods? I just don’t see how they are an issue for people wirh disabilities? We’ve managed for a long time... I get adding inside door handles, and locking windows, but I don’t get the point of the auto doors

Domh245

Established Member
I think it's mainly because you need to be able the doors comfortably from the inside (and leaning through a window doesn't pass muster), and in order to do that you have to redo the CDL and door mechanisms, and if you're doing that it makes more sense to change it to a sliding door rather than adjusting the existing doors.

bnm

Established Member
What’s the point of these mods? I just don’t see how they are an issue for people wirh disabilities? We’ve managed for a long time... I get adding inside door handles, and locking windows, but I don’t get the point of the auto doors

Safety. Dwell times. Improved interior heating/cooling.

Last edited:

DenmarkRail

Safety. Dwell times. Improved interior heating/cooling.

To be absolutely honest, if someone is dumb enough to stick their head out for a window at 125mph, should they even be allowed to go on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.