• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

345 050

Correct - this is confirmed on the TfL web page about the Bakerloo ticket hall.

The Paddington Square development incorporates the Carriage Road area into "The Piazza". It also incorporates the former London Road between Praed Street and Winsland Street - that road has been extinguished and Tanner Lane was created to give access to Winsland Street.
I did think the access was going to be between platform 11 and 12 because there is building work there. Anyone know what all the hoarding is for at the end of platform 11/12? Is this a different project then?

The whole overbridge can't be behind the gates because it's also an entrance to ExCeL, so the station can't be gated as a whole.

Though you could put gates across the 4x DLR entrances too, I suppose.
I could only find 3 sets of stairs, which I assume you are referring to as 'entrances'. Two of these are accessed from the same bridge so could share a gate line. Is the fourth so-called 'entrance' the escalators between EL and DLR? Both of these escalators set to run in upward direction and 3 staff members manning the gate and accosting anyone who tries to use it. Surely the whole point of these escalators is for interchange from DLR to EL. Every single person who tries to do this is told they have to go back. Why not just close them off and shut the gate line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
So you're expected to exit one ticketed zone (by tapping out at the gates) and the enter another ticketed zone by tapping in at the DLR readers. Same confusion in the other direction. There are various places where you're forced through two gatelines when changing mode (e.g. Southwark / Waterloo East) but this seems unique because the DLR doesn't have gates so is messing with the travelling public's expectations.
Not unique, exact same situation at Limehouse where you need to tap out of c2c at the gates and into DLR at a standalone validator.
Canary Wharf North (formally West India Quay)
Canary Wharf Central
Canary Wharf South (formally Heron Quays)
Formerly, not formally. (Sorry, it's a pet peeve.)
Just overheard some passengers at Abbey Wood complaining about lack of oyster validators. What's odd is that a lot of thought went into the additional Interchange bridges. But obviously not quite enough to realise that validators would be required. Are any other stations apart from Custom House/Farringdon affected by these issues?
According to TfL they are “preparing a long-term solution” to this issue, as was stated on a whiteboard upon arrival at the Elizabeth Line Farringdon platforms:
Surely they could draft in a couple of validators quite quickly, even if they were temporary for now.
I raised this question elsewhere on the thread (or possibly a different thread) and was told it was intentional to stop people arriving from ungated Southeastern stations like Stone Crossing and only paying for the Elizabeth line bit.

tomuk

Established Member
Changing as fewer times as possible is always better so if coming from Metroland to Canary Wharf change at Moorgate / Liverpool Street
Would it not be quicker to get on the Elizabeth line as soon as possible? So changing at Farringdon would be best.

Class 170101

Established Member
Would it not be quicker to get on the Elizabeth line as soon as possible? So changing at Farringdon would be best.
Depends on the interchange time. I am getting the impression from forum members that Farringdon isn't particularly easy.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I did think the access was going to be between platform 11 and 12 because there is building work there. Anyone know what all the hoarding is for at the end of platform 11/12? Is this a different project then?
There is a need for more space on the concourse at the end of platforms 11 and 12 as once platforms 8 and 9 are gated, the escalators on platform 12 will be the main access to the Hammersmith & City platforms and Paddington Basin.

345 050

Depends on the interchange time. I am getting the impression from forum members that Farringdon isn't particularly easy.
I'd say Farringdon and Liverpool Street are both quite fiddly. We will have to see what happens at Bond Street.
There is a need for more space on the concourse at the end of platforms 11 and 12 as once platforms 8 and 9 are gated, the escalators on platform 12 will be the main access to the Hammersmith & City platforms and Paddington Basin.
So they are shortening both platforms, is that the jist of it?

43102EMR

Established Member
Farringdon isn’t too bad - for me personally, the worst is Tottenham Court Road, tied with Canary Wharf…

ijmad

Established Member
I'd say Farringdon and Liverpool Street are both quite fiddly. We will have to see what happens at Bond Street.

The Moorgate end is actually rather good for getting to the SSR.

Farringdon isn’t too bad - for me personally, the worst is Tottenham Court Road, tied with Canary Wharf…

Tottenham Court Road was never designed to be the 'good' interchange with the Central Line, that's going to be Bond Street. On the final line map it won't even be shown with [Central] as an interchange possibility. The long interchange is temporary.

Taunton

Established Member
A further desirable little tweak would be to place station signage, especially in the tunnel stations, on the opposite wall to the platform, just as London Underground has always done.

Supposedly the internal signage shows where you are, intermittently, and is probably thought adequate, and maybe felt more excitingly high-tech than signs on the tunnel wall, but if you are seated on the platform side, facing away from the platform it's overhead position is out of sight to many seats, especially if there are substantial standing pasengers. When you go back and forth between Elizabeth and Underground, you quite notice the omission.

345 050

TCR was handy for Northern line, whereas the link at Moorgate quite a long walk. Liverpool St and TCR both have long walks for Central line.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

I wouldn’t say Liverpool Street is fiddly, just quite long. Moorgate might be a good option.

317 forever

Established Member
I booked my day in London yesterday at Easter, before I even knew CrossRail would be open now.

Allowing for other current bus trips, I considered north London best now, with Woolwich following probably in October. (There were plenty of electric Metrodeckers back on route 134 and I did ride one but I digress .... )

As it is, I predicted that a combo of visitors for the Jubilee and many people interested in the novelty of this new railway would in all probability make it less busy in October than this weekend.

345 050

Hello everyone, are there still EL oysters at all of the core stations?
At Paddington this morning the staff were saying that only certain machines had the cards left in stock. I reckon you might still have a bit of time to grab one, but check with station staff first, you might need to try a few stations.

I've noticed a lot have popped up on eBay for substantially more than £5....

Intro298

At Paddington this morning the staff were saying that only certain machines had the cards left in stock. I reckon you might still have a bit of time to grab one, but check with station staff first, you might need to try a few stations.

I've noticed a lot have popped up on eBay for substantially more than £5....
Thanks for the reply, thankfully I was able to get two at Woolwich on Friday evening, which somehow has TWO ticket machines in the entire station!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks for the reply, thankfully I was able to get two at Woolwich on Friday evening, which somehow has TWO ticket machines in the entire station!

Are you saying that’s too few? Don’t forget a significant majority of people will be using Oyster/contactless and won’t see need to use a ticket machine. It’s also not a huge tourist draw or destination in its own right unlike some others in the central section. I’d bet it will be the quietest of all of them.

Intro298

Are you saying that’s too few? Don’t forget a significant majority of people will be using Oyster/contactless and won’t see need to use a ticket machine. It’s also not a huge tourist draw or destination in its own right unlike some others in the central section. I’d bet it will be the quietest of all of them.
Woolwich will probably be at the quieter end of things, but that is still no excuse to have two ticket machines when many people will pay for oyster top-ups and buy paper tickets, especially considering the growing popularity of Woolwich Public Market and Woolwich becoming a more attractive place to live, with the introduction of Crossrail, and the general gentrification of the area. When I was there at a relatively quiet time on a Friday (5 pm) there were already two people waiting to use the machines, I reckon that during the morning peak there would be a sizeable queue.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Due to the LU strikes the first few trains ran non-stop between Paddington-Canary Wharf. Already quite busy on the line.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Woolwich will probably be at the quieter end of things, but that is still no excuse to have two ticket machines when many people will pay for oyster top-ups and buy paper tickets, especially considering the growing popularity of Woolwich Public Market and Woolwich becoming a more attractive place to live, with the introduction of Crossrail, and the general gentrification of the area. When I was there at a relatively quiet time on a Friday (5 pm) there were already two people waiting to use the machines, I reckon that during the morning peak there would be a sizeable queue.
You're out of touch, I'm afraid. No-one will be using the ticket machines in the peak period, regular users simply use contactless. Two machines should be adequate.

talldave

Established Member
At Farringdon, Elizabeth Line eastbound to Thameslink southbound is a direct platform to platform connection by lift, if you know where to find it (-6 up to -1).

ScotGG

Established Member
The Felixstowe Road entrance at Abbey Wood will become ever more popular though. Thousands of homes within walkable distance where that entrance is best are being built or set to begin.

A bit silly to build it for thousands of future passengers then close it.

I can't see any funding to extend past Abbey Wood for many years, and even then it'd take LB Bexley to sort out plans for mass housing development along the route which they are nowhere near in terms of detailed strategic planning.

Geogregor

You're out of touch, I'm afraid. No-one will be using the ticket machines in the peak period, regular users simply use contactless. Two machines should be adequate.

I would be careful with such statements. I work on not particularly busy rail station and we often have queues of folks in the mornings, topping up their Oysters (as it is no longer possible in the ticket office). I would say Woolwich will be much busier than my station. Two machines in such location is creating possible bottleneck. I know people are desperate to force Londoners to use contactless but for a long time yet we will have passengers using Oysters. Did they really save that much in the long term by having 2 rather than, say, 4 machines?

ScotGG

Established Member
What's been the impact so far on passenger numbers using the DLR and Southeastern with Abbey Wood and Woolwich EL services commencing?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That would have been a seriously quick journey!

Doesn't look like it was actually that quick - here's one example.

It was probably regulated along at an even speed before arriving 3 minutes early at Canary Wharf and then awaiting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.