• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Yes. The timetable posted not so long ago on this thread should help.

I think the most you could do would be Preston - Carlisle - Barrow SX.

badger1badger

Journey time Carlisle to Maryport is just over 40 mins, so 05:15 off CAR would be right. This service gets to Sellafield in time for an 07:00 kick off. The old trial one used to get there in time for an 08:00 start, so either the shift pattern has changed or they are going to get there ridiculously early.

There's a bit of confusion at half eleven at Barrow. Currently showing as below:

WTT 1132 Carlisle 3 2C40 NT Terminates here
WTT 1128 Morecambe 1 2C47 NT Carlisle 1131
WTT Starts here 3 2C49 NT Carlisle 1138
WTT Starts here 1 5C47 NT Barrow C.S. 1142

2 trains to CAR in 7 mins!
the first service is the loco hauled from CAR terminating on 3, showing as loco and correct.
the second service is the unit from Morecambe which should now show as terminating on 1 rather than going through to CAR.
the third service is the loco hauled (same set) returning to CAR from 3 again correct.
the fourth is the unit from Morecambe going from 1 to the sidings, correctly entered time wise, but erroneously showing as loco hauled.

Once you've sorted this out the diagrams are:

dia 1
05.15 Carlisle-Barrow
14.37 Barrow-Carlisle
17.37 Carlisle-Barrow

dia 2
05.57 Barrow-Carlisle
08.42 Carlisle-Barrow
11.38 Barrow-Carlisle
14.35 Carlisle-Barrow
17.31 Barrow - Carlisle

This works perfectly, one starting and one finishing at each end and the sets swapping diagrams every day to make maintenance/changeovers nice and convenient.
Hi everyone

Is this the most updated timetable

Cheers

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I worked out I could go out and back from Northallerton and get the following on the LHCS:

Preston - Barrow
Barrow - Carlisle
Carlisle - Whitehaven
Whitehaven - Carlisle

Could you amplify on that, what sort of ticketing?

Andrew

crehld

Established Member
Is it possible to do a Leeds - barrow ( as much haulage as possible ) back to leeds in one day

Easily. I would suggest the following weekday itinerary:

08:15 Leeds to Carnforth
10:35 Carnforth to Barrow
11:38 Barrow to Carlisle
15:06 Carlisle to Leeds

You'll be back in time for tea. Last train back to Leeds from Carlisle is 18:14 so you could spend more of your day along the cumbrian coast if you wished.

Newshy37

Evening all. Can anyone tell me what worked today please. I may be able to do Lancaster Preston and back on Monday. Is it running on BHols? Ta, Dave.

Grumpy

I don't quite understand why the extra costs of using loco and coaches is being incurred on Saturdays when Northern may have spare DMU's. Thus earlier today noted a couple of sets parked up in the sidings at Barrow, and later on 3-4 sets at Blackpool.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Evening all. Can anyone tell me what worked today please. I may be able to do Lancaster Preston and back on Monday. Is it running on BHols? Ta, Dave.

Yes, today's formations, south to north

37423-9507-6122-5810-6008-37609
37611-9527-5995-5971-6001-37409

37423/37609 started from Barrow, 37611/37409 from the Carlisle end so they will stable at opposite ends of the route tonight.

Normal weekday timetable appears to be in place on Monday looking at RTT with corresponding runs from Kingmoor Yard so it doesn't look like the LHCS won't be running. However, you may wish to seek official confirmation.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Any estimate on how long the DBSOs still have to be in the workshop before being released or did I miss any previous discussion?

CosherB

Established Member
409 crocked, second divert fault

No more than a 1000amps over 50mph

Should we be surprised? 50-odd year old diesel locos and it's 30 years since the ETH upgrade ...... this is a sticking plaster solution.

Despite there being performance advantages using a DBSO, I'll be holding my breath with only one loco on the train and DBSO's that'll probably have 'teething problems' ......

409 was the recipient of perhaps the most comprehensive loco overhaul ever when it was done for DRS. The "ETH Upgrade" as you call it has nothing to do with anything.

The 37s are in generally top nick and suffer as many faults as the incumbent 142 and 156 nonsense. Do you have an axe to grind or something?

Mike99

I'm doing a 14 day ALR in September will the Barrow - Carlisle services still be Class 37 hauled during late September?

Established Member
409 was the recipient of perhaps the most comprehensive loco overhaul ever when it was done for DRS. The "ETH Upgrade" as you call it has nothing to do with anything.

The 37s are in generally top nick and suffer as many faults as the incumbent 142 and 156 nonsense. Do you have an axe to grind or something?

So your saying DRS 37's and MK2's are as reliable as a 156. It would interesting to see some figures on that.

From a rail enthusiast viewpoint yes its great they are running the 37's but from a modern efficient railway viewpoint, the fact that these trains are running some 24 years after regional loco hauled trains like these were meant to be eliminated is frankly a disgrace.

Also who pays the significant extra cost of these trains, I expect its largely the Taxpayer.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So your saying DRS 37's and MK2's are as reliable as a 156. It would interesting to see some figures on that.

From a rail enthusiast viewpoint yes its great they are running the 37's but from a modern efficient railway viewpoint, the fact that these trains are running some 24 years after regional loco hauled trains like these were meant to be eliminated is frankly a disgrace.

Also who pays the significant extra cost of these trains, I expect its largely the Taxpayer.

And if we were stumping up for new DMU's, you'd no doubt be complaining that the taxpayer was stumping up for that. Far better they use Mk 2's that are fit for purpose than try and scrape by with short distance DMU's.

Are the loco services even more expensive anyway, given that new units cost more to lease?

al.currie93

I too thought that DRS 37s were in very good shape, and that 409 was in one of the best of all of them. It would be interesting to see how different the fault rates of 37s are to 156s.

Status
Not open for further replies.