• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Current Trainspotters reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Inspired by a discussion in another thread I thought I'd start this thread, how do you feel with saying to people your a trainspotter/enthusiast?
Are they just seen as sad old men in anoraks, and boys with no other life?
Personally I don't mind saying I'm a spotter/enthusiast, but people do tend to look down their nose a little, which annoys and saddens me in equal measure TBH:(

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T163R

Are they just seen as sad old men in anoraks, and boys with no other life?
Personally I don't mind saying I'm a spotter, but people do tend to look down their nose a little, which annoys and saddens me in equal measure TBH:(

I feel exactly the same thing as you.
Anyway, I don't care about what people say about my passion(s).

mumrar

Established Member
I think the opinion of spotters is held in lesser regard than enthusiasts or photographers - although most people incorrectly lump them all in together under the heading of train spotting.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I feel exactly the same thing as you.
Anyway, I don't care about what people say about my passion(s).

I had to do a presentation in College about myself, and I told them I am a rail enthusiast but NOT a spotter and explained the difference.

Now I was expecting them to be winding me up about it but they were genuinely interested about it and were asking serious questions about railways.

Now it did surprise that there would be such interest about the difference between a train spotter and a 'normal' enthusiast with 16 and 17 year olds!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Long gone indeed are the days when steam depots were visited by properly constituted bodies such as the Locomotive Club of Great Britain, in addition to the excellent railtours that they ran, including the famous "brake van specials". In those days, you were thought of as serious minded individuals.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I think the opinion of spotters is held in lesser regard than enthusiasts or photographers - although most people incorrectly lump them all in together under the heading of train spotting.

I do all 3, and if I do say enthusiast rather than spotter the reaction would certainly appear better.

Old Timer

Established Member
If we go back to the days when OT was a young lad, there were none of the various interests there now are, TV was generally dedicated to sewrious matters, there were no computers, very few childrens programmes, cars were boringly similar and underpowered in those days, and in any case very few people had one.

Train spotting was therefore a major part of any young boy's life, and groups of children used to collect at all large stations and at the popular along the lineside.

Since then there have been immense changes in both technology and indeed personal wealth. We are a much wealthier nation now that were were in the 60s and 70s and there are now dramatically more interests and hobbies thanks to progress, the ability to travel much more and ever increasing social mobility.

The stereotypical "trainspotter" does still exist though as can be witnessed by a particular few whose whole life is driven by this, normally due to medical conditions. It is unfortunate that these people now stand out whereas years ago they did not

newbie babs

All of my family, friends, and anyone that knows me, knows my love and passion of trains, its all over my office and my home. Even the College Director used some of my posters etc to show the new students last week.

I love trains, stations, and all the history that goes with them.

trentside

Established Member
I don't go out of my way to tell people. I actually like to have an interest I can pursue alone, or with a different group of people.

Minilad

Established Member
For me it can be made easier with the fact I work on the railway. I always say I am an enthusiast. But I haven't written down a train number with the intention of marking it off in a book for around 30 years

Crossover

Established Member
Quite a few people know about my interest, though there are others who don't know.

Yes, I sometimes get stick for it but there are lots of my friends who are understanding of it and say we all have our own interests :)

I tend to think of myself as an enthusiast and I am mostly interested in the workings of things and keep learning new things each day. I do enjoy photography too, including railway photography, though tend to do it for artistic merit in the course of travelling as opposed to wanting a picture of everything.

I would tend to preferring to travel on trains as the norm :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and (as per what MattE2010 said in another thread) I also don't like the "anorak" stereotype

43021HST

Established Member
I get called a train spotter and I play along with it, some very amusing conversations can come of it.

Of course people that are into trains know the difference between the different types rail enthusiast, but joe public just thinks, "buh bloody trainspotters" if you show an active interest in trains.

Thats why I have started calling people that are into football; football spotters.

WestCoast

Established Member
Anyone who has the remotest interest in trains is a "trainspotter" in some people's eyes.

I am also interested in aviation, but not everyone is called a "planespotter". You see a few 'normals'
at the viewing park at Manchester Airport, usually on a family day out!

Weird.

Kernowfem

Everyone knows my love of trains, but given my family history (90% railway workers) no one batts an eye lid. I can stand on a platform and not get looked at twice.

In all honesty i don't care what i'm labelled. I love what i love. It's not just trains, i have a fixation with WW11, especially the Lancaster Bomber. I'm a regular at RAF East Kirkby, i go just to look at the Lanc they have there. You can also find me at RAF Conningsby, eagerly awaiting for the Lancaster to take off.

Everytime it does, i cry like a baby...

district

I do mark numbers down on occassions but not with the intention to tick them off or anything, or to visit and travel on every particular unit. I consider myself an enthusiast, I am interested in trains, stations, staff, ticketing, history, track, signals ect.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Everyone knows my love of trains, but given my family history (90% railway workers) no one batts an eye lid. I can stand on a platform and not get looked at twice.

In all honesty i don't care what i'm labelled. I love what i love. It's not just trains, i have a fixation with WW11, especially the Lancaster Bomber. I'm a regular at RAF East Kirkby, i go just to look at the Lanc they have there. You can also find me at RAF Conningsby, eagerly awaiting for the Lancaster to take off.

Everytime it does, i cry like a baby...

Permission to make you green? I was once allowed up the steps to the entry hatch of PA474 at Biggin Hill. Not allowed to step inside, but I was allowed to stick my head in for a good look as far as I could reach without actually putting a foot inside...:D

( I've also actually sat in the pilot's seat of the "Sally B" at Biggin Hill the same day, but that's a different type of plane, so... )

passmore

Being interested and knowledgeable about trains is a hobby. Why do some people assume that admitting it is somehow taboo?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
People can become obsessive about their hobby, no matter what it is, and it is this that attracts negative comments more than the hobby itself.

I know real ale fanatics who are obsessed with trying every beer they can. I have heard them referred to as 'scratchers' amongst the real ale fraternity and, while not ridiculed as such, they are gently teased by others who do not have the same passion!

Similarly, my brother once became very interested in radar systems, and became quite obsessed with elarning all that he could about the different ones used, both military and civilian radar types. Again, it wasn't the hobby itself that made people laugh, but the zeal with which he constantly talked about radar at every possible opportunity Fortunately, his obsession wore off after about a year!

Enthusiasm for trains is a more widely known pastime than radar spotting,ior beer sampling. The well known stereotype of a spotter, with anorak, notebook and chocolate bar, is now outdated (if it ever was accurate in the first place!), but it derives from the o0bsessional behaviour of a few individuals. There is nothing wrong with such behaviour, but it's unrealistic to expect such things not to be noticed and commented on!

By the way, when I first joined CAMRA I was given a welcome pack which contained advice on how to behave in pubs! One of the things mentioned was that there ar eother things to discuss than beer! It warned that to continue to drone on about ale in the company of non beer drinkes was boorish, and likely to bring real ale drinkers into disrepute!

Grantham

If I tell someone I'm an enthusiast, I usually claim to be a dribbly foamer who writes down carriage numbers in a huge notebook I keep in a clipboard.

After they finish looking for the clipboard and decide I have been pulling their leg, they are more likely to regard me as something nearly human, with an almost healthy interest in my hobby.

Mick

Established Member
There are a few distinct groups that you'll find in the hobby (not an exhaustive list):

1) The 'general' enthusiast - takes a few pictures and goes on trips, but not exactly the sort of person to stand on a hill in the pouring rain to get a [crap] picture of a loco doing a railtour.

2) The aforementioned 'up-at-all-hours-out-in-the-pouring-rain' enthusiast.

3) The 'platform-veg'. Same place at the same time. Normally accompanied with anorak, NHS glasses, lunchbox and flask.

4) The 'B.O.' - when you stand next to them you understand what B.O. means. Found just about everywhere, often with little social skills, stand in front of other people taking pictures, smacking you in the face with their backpacks and often pretending to be rail staff. You know a group of them have been at an open day when there are no freebies left.

5) The 'YP spotter' - quite an annoying lot, both in real life and on the internet. Often found running along platforms, with large tripods for compact cameras and camcorders. Normally take videos for You Tube which are of poor quality and seeking the ellusive two-tones from the driver (often by putting themselves in danger i.e. standing on a platform edge when a HST is about to go through). Endz most wordz in the last letter of the alphabet [zzz]. Often think they know more than people who actually work on the railway, when they clearly don't.

[/Humour]

Kernowfem

Permission to make you green? I was once allowed up the steps to the entry hatch of PA474 at Biggin Hill. Not allowed to step inside, but I was allowed to stick my head in for a good look as far as I could reach without actually putting a foot inside...:D

( I've also actually sat in the pilot's seat of the "Sally B" at Biggin Hill the same day, but that's a different type of plane, so... )

I'm green(ish) Ive been fortunate enough to have a taxi ride in the lanc at East Kirkby :)

Expensive but worth every single penny :D

Schnellzug

Established Member
There are a few distinct groups that you'll find in the hobby (not an exhaustive list):

5) The 'YP spotter' - quite an annoying lot, both in real life and on the internet. Often found running along platforms, with large tripods for compact cameras and camcorders. Normally take videos for You Tube which are of poor quality and seeking the ellusive two-tones from the driver (often by putting themselves in danger i.e. standing on a platform edge when a HST is about to go through). Endz most wordz in the last letter of the alphabet [zzz]. Often think they know more than people who actually work on the railway, when they clearly don't.

[/Humour]

Actually, seriously for a moment, the YouTUbe Phenomonon (phemononon? it'll do for now), actually I think has done a good deal to positively publicise the hobby. There are the shaky ones, to be sure, but there's an awful lot of people putting out broadcast (or certainly DVD) standard material, both heritage & modern. As usual, though, with the Media, it's the ones they can laugh at that they concentrate on.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Actually, seriously for a moment, the YouTUbe Phenomonon (phemononon? it'll do for now), actually I think has done a good deal to positively publicise the hobby. There are the shaky ones, to be sure, but there's an awful lot of people putting out broadcast (or certainly DVD) standard material, both heritage & modern. As usual, though, with the Media, it's the ones they can laugh at that they concentrate on.

My Youtube videos are poor quality and shaky, but I don't swap my S's for Z's:lol:
Seriously though, I think it does allow younger people to keep in touch with "trainspotting".

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Does it really matter if rail enthusiasts have a negative image?

In the words of the inimitable Chief Wiggum, "If it feels good, do it". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.