• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Current vacancies thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread in this forum purely for posting currently open vacancies? At the moment it can be difficult to tell which threads are about current vacancies, and which ones are discussing peoples progress in vacancies that closed months ago.

I would suggest that no discussion be allowed in the sticky thread so that people can easily see the latest vacancies - discussion can take place in a separate thread as now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Would be good, but only one reservation - the list of threads is often the best way to make people aware of a vacancy, most effective method.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Definitely what we need, I often look on here to see if anyone has posted about vacancies and its easier than looking at different companies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Who would manage it? Vacancies often close within a few days!

carriageline

Established Member
If it is to be done, then some needs to make a 'template' that all posts must use, for example:

Job title:
Company:
Date posted:
Closing date:

Otherwise you will have the problem now that you won't know what's new and whats old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

387star

On Moderation
It does only take a few moments to check all the companies yourself

302PS

And if you can't be bothered to check your local toc's website then you'll be daunted by the app

Emyr

I would suggest subdividing this section as follows:

Driving
Customer-facing (inc Guards, Dispatchers, Station Managers)
Operations & Maintenance (NR and TOC) (Signaling, TMD-based engineering and logistics, train prep, and also management roles involved in day-to-day rail planning, but not HR)
Backoffice (HR, Marketing, Customer Service, roles which exist outside of rail)
Network & Engineering Suppliers (NR tech, Rolling Stock engineering etc)

Open to suggestions, but would help rarer opportunities not get drowned in threads which come up a lot (drivers, guards, talent pools etc).

carriageline

Established Member
To be honest I don't think a thread is really needed. People should have the initiative to go through TOC sites. I used to have all the TOC websites set up on my PC to open when I opened up my browser

Saltire

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread in this forum purely for posting currently open vacancies? At the moment it can be difficult to tell which threads are about current vacancies, and which ones are discussing peoples progress in vacancies that closed months ago.

I would suggest that no discussion be allowed in the sticky thread so that people can easily see the latest vacancies - discussion can take place in a separate thread as now.

I think that's a great idea - and if there was NO discussion or comments on the thread then it should be simple to work out what's current :):)

youngboy

To be honest I don't think a thread is really needed. People should have the initiative to go through TOC sites. I used to have all the TOC websites set up on my PC to open when I opened up my browser

Absolutely Agreed !!!

Rave

I was thinking the same yesterday, and I'm prepared to start and try and administer the thread. Personally I'm only looking for trainee driver positions but happy to include others if people find them. To be honest though it'll be a very busy first post if every job out there is listed as most companies I have checked seem to be recruiting for something or other- it's just trainee driver positions that are like rocking horse poo!

Simon11

Established Member
It seems it is only worth doing if the process can be automated and the system can swipe the data from all the websites.

The information will very quickly be out of date and it would have to be checked daily to ensure that the vacancies are still open.

LBSCR Times

You would need to use the public website, and not for rail staff to post links within their own companies, as often vacancies are for internal applicants only.

greatkingrat

Established Member
That is a useful link, however I don't think it is a complete list. For example Southern currently have 7 vacancies on their website, but are not mentioned at all on the ATOC list.

Frontera2

The ATOC site is only updated once a week, it may be that Southern posted them after the deadline

Jordy

Established Member
The forum staff are currently discussing this idea and a decision will be made in due course, can anybody interested in managing such a thread please send me a PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.