• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Curviest Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethW

Apologies if this has been done before and for the banality of the question.

But coming back from Bristol Temple Meads this evening, first time in 10+ years, it struck me just how curved (and long) the platform (where Napoleans Bar is).

Admittedly I'd had a couple, but looking both ways it just seemed to bend round forever. Being used to straight platforms (in SWT land) it did seem quite wonderful.

Is this the most bendy/curvy platform in the land?? I'm reasonably well travelled on our network but can't think at the moment of one moreso.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
One of the stations on the Falmouth branch is very bendy (I forget which; never been). Limehouse is also very sharp; growing up I never used to like changing there for fear of falling! :lol:

As for this area, Bristol TM is a good call, although so are Bath Spa and Weston-s-M.

Plenty of junction stations are also good calls; Pitsea and Virginia Water spring to mind, among those I know well.

The thing to remember about Temple Meads though is that, apart from 13 and 15, all platforms are actually split into two! So you would only have half the curvature so to speak, as you would only use half the whole platform!

caliwag

I would nominate the main Northbound at Newcastle, curves two ways in its length...seems daft, but the platform edge neatly follows the roof columns. When Newcastle was remodelled during ECML electrification, consideration was given to widening the platform, but discounted.

The Falmouth branch one would be Penmere Platform...the one with the "friends of..." and very cute too!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is Paddington the most curved terminus?

Edinburgh Waverly's platform 9 must be one of the most complex curved platforms on the network. Overall, it has a large radius convex curve typical of many island platforms that taper at both ends, but halfway along it has a severe concave section

cle

Established Member
I would have though Newcastle, York or Bristol. But everything stops at these so it's not a huge worry.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street might run you close for the curviest platform, especially the bendy platform 7 where the Pendolinos stop

Curviest platform though, Long Buckby, Cannock, Rugeley TV is bendy, Stockport, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay is pretty tight as well

sprinterguy

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street might run you close for the curviest platform, especially the bendy platform 7 where the Pendolinos stop

Curviest platform though, Long Buckby, Cannock, Rugeley TV is bendy, Stockport, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay is pretty tight as well
Stockport? Rhyl? Really?:?:The platforms at Rhyl aren’t far off straight, and while there’s a curve off the viaduct at Stockport, the alignment through the station is much straighter. Hardly contenders for “curviest platform”. I’d say that Rugeley TV is on a long but not particularly demanding curve as well.

Although the platforms do not flank the entirety of the curve, the ECML at York turns through 150 degrees, so York must be in with a shout. As caliwag says, the main northbound platform at Newcastle (platform 2) is on quite a curve, and has to be one of only a few platforms to incorporate an “S” bend in its’ length.

I’ve always thought that Grosmont station (National rail) has quite a tight curvature. And of those others mentioned above, then Carnforth and Bristol Temple Meads are notable. Wigan Wallgate is often mentioned as having a tight curvature, so much so that there was a news story reported on here a little while ago of someone falling down the gap between platform and train.

Capybara

Admittedly I'd had a couple, but looking both ways it just seemed to bend round forever. Being used to straight platforms (in SWT land) it did seem quite wonderful

There's some pretty hefty curves at Clapham Junction and Vauxhall, as well as at Waterloo.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Mainline - i would say York or Newcastle. I think Grosmont has already been mentioned - that always seems very tight

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Farringdon will be pretty unusual once fully extended to 12 car won't it? A double bend and a significant slope at north end just where the platforms are about as narrow as they can get...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yep PITA for us guards, we have to doors from the middle as the distance you need to walk to check the doors are closed etc. from the back is daft and not very safe

Well i'm glad you do that! One of your colleagues didn't bother and i got my head trapped in door. Safe to say i shouted at him quite a lot. I wasn't slow i was right behind person infront and there were people behind me. He hadnt even walked away from the back carriage to check he was stodd at doors.

rjhglover

This may not be included but The Northbound Northern Line Platform at Embankment?

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
I'd reckon Earlestown, Barnt Green and Sutton Coldfield must be up there. Commuters and a 6-car 310 set at the last two were a nightmare. By the time you'd checked, somebody turned up late and just jumped on. New Street platform 12 is severe too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Lichfield TV and Tamworth are both curved, Tamworth curved on both the high and low level

FFS neither of those are exceptionally curved, which is what the thread is about. On a scale of 1 to 100 they'd probably rate about 2 or 3 max... :roll:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lichfield thames valley!? What what what!
Thames Valley? :s You mean Trent Valley? Also, why have you edited the quote?

As to IanPooleTrains, why do you keep suggesting stations that are obviously not extremely curved?

Status
Not open for further replies.