• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D&G Buses

northwichcat

Established Member
Some of the above will relate to driver hours. Reducing a gap or adding in one additional journey means someone else needs to drive it. Some of D&G's drivers are very close to maximum hours, which means if they get too far behind schedule they either need to add in an additional break, divert via the direct route or not complete their final journey.

It is strange a bus terminates in Congleton, but running it back to Crewe in service would result in one bus right between another. Presumably running it to Macclesfield and back again takes the driver over their permitted hours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Established Member
Looks like Wincham is now operating as an outstation of Macclesfield. For example, 107 has been operating out of Wincham since September, so it's probably due a service. This morning it was put on the early Knutsford to Macclesfield (not normally a large Enviro), after which it was swapped for 117.

Cesarcollie

Looks like Wincham is now operating as an outstation of Macclesfield. For example, 107 has been operating out of Wincham since September, so it's probably due a service. This morning it was put on the early Knutsford to Macclesfield (not normally a large Enviro), after which it was swapped for 117.

September? It’ll be very overdue for a service!!. Most bus operators work on 4-6 week maintenance and inspection intervals…….

ShaunyFlynn

Wincham has been an outstation to Macclesfield since the end of August. Also 107 has been down at Macclesfield 3 times since September for a service but just hasn’t had the chance to work any Macclesfield work.

Simon75

On Moderation
Did D&G upgrade Macclesfield to a depot, then? (Arriva had it as outstation of Winsford)

Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Established Member
D&G have now acquired YX67 UXO from The Bus Shop: https://the-bus-shop.co.uk/buses/yx67-uxo/

Are the remaining 55 reg Solos still in service? The machine tracking as 140 is actually on one of the new MMCs.

Looks like 532 has moved from Crewe to Wincham, with 31 going in the opposite direction.

It also seems they are still currently operating all the 88 journeys from Wincham, despite the revision to the first Macclesfield to Knutsford journey time. On Monday it actually ran at it's old time anyway!

Travelmonkey

D&G always seemed a little bit of anomaly when it comes to the tech side especially for customers and spotters. I note they don't have any kind of social media presence, although that may be more of a blessing than a curse given the comments you see on other operators posts.

sonic2009

Established Member
D&G have now acquired YX67 UXO from The Bus Shop: https://the-bus-shop.co.uk/buses/yx67-uxo/
YX67 UXO is a High Peak bus. Fleet number is 545, according to bus times this is, so take that as you will.

D&G always seemed a little bit of anomaly when it comes to the tech side especially for customers and spotters. I note they don't have any kind of social media presence, although that may be more of a blessing than a curse given the comments you see on other operators posts.

This is where the lack of social media is letting them down I think, or even some kind of reporting page into mytrip if a bus doesn't run or is cancelled due to vehicle breakdown or driver issues.

Travelmonkey

]

This is where the lack of social media is letting them down I think, or even some kind of reporting page into mytrip if a bus doesn't run or is cancelled due to vehicle breakdown or driver issues.

This is where I miss their sister company Midland Classic they used to be on the ball on Facebook when things went pair shaped, the MD even explaining why some things were the way they are & the public ridiculed him & the company, now we have Rotala Karma ain't half a B**ch sometimes, I do like how they set up their chaserider to inform of things a D&G page should also be a partner to it, heck I was on a Chaserider service using a Ex Cardiff E200 MMC the other week with full D&G branding & even Chasrider's legals are the same Stoke address as D&G you think they could do something. Tbh even Arriva & First with their centralised centres still can feed some info across when needs be. D&G is sometimes too old school for its own good I'm afraid,

Robertj21a

On Moderation
This is where I miss their sister company Midland Classic they used to be on the ball on Facebook when things went pair shaped, the MD even explaining why some things were the way they are & the public ridiculed him & the company, now we have Rotala Karma ain't half a B**ch sometimes, I do like how they set up their chaserider to inform of things a D&G page should also be a partner to it, heck I was on a Chaserider service using a Ex Cardiff E200 MMC the other week with full D&G branding & even Chasrider's legals are the same Stoke address as D&G you think they could do something. Tbh even Arriva & First with their centralised centres still can feed some info across when needs be. D&G is sometimes too old school for its own good I'm afraid,
How was Midland Classic a sister company of D&G ?

northwichcat

Established Member
YX67 UXO is a High Peak bus. Fleet number is 545, according to bus times this is, so take that as you will.

I do recall there was a mention of the North Western Road Car branded vehicle going to High Peak. If that's not available, I wonder if a newly acquired vehicle could be a loan until it is available.

I seem to recall David & Gareth weren't fans of social. However, as Centrebus have been actively using social since before they got involved in High Peak, I don't know why it still means D&G don't use social to provide service updates.

The 82 service is now run by Crewe rather than Wincham.

Are they short of drivers? Or maybe even considered closing Wincham, now they have Macclesfield?

I get the Handforth Dean shuttle being worked by Crewe, as in college term time it's the same vehicle that's used to operate the Bunbury to John Deanes contract.

sonic2009

Established Member
Again?

Would be so much easier if D&G published depot information on BODS, we could all keep up with it then. I really struggle to see the benefit of all of this dead milage though for the 82. It can't be doing viability any good.
Are they short of drivers? Or maybe even considered closing Wincham, now they have Macclesfield?

I get the Handforth Dean shuttle being worked by Crewe, as in college term time it's the same vehicle that's used to operate the Bunbury to John Deanes contract.

I've been told by a driver from D&G this evening that when the 31 and 37 change times from the 5th February, that instead of running dead to do an 82 or coming back to Crewe after finishing, there's plan to maybe do one of the services Crewe-Northwich then 82s and then a service back at the end of the day. We will see what happens come the timetable change next month.

I don't think they would consider closing Wincham, as where would you run the 48 Frodsham & 49 Northwich Rudheath-Weaverham from?

Travelmonkey

I seem to recall David & Gareth weren't fans of social. However, as Centrebus have been actively using social since before they got involved in High Peak, I don't know why it still means D&G don't use social to provide service updates.

Chaserider manage to as well. The "oh they can ring us" mentality was good in the past but with people's anxieties now phone calls are a dying art. I do rely heavily on bustimes.org for all operators though.

northwichcat

Established Member
I've been told by a driver from D&G this evening that when the 31 and 37 change times from the 5th February, that instead of running dead to do an 82 or coming back to Crewe after finishing, there's plan to maybe do one of the services Crewe-Northwich then 82s and then a service back at the end of the day. We will see what happens come the timetable change next month.

Looking at the timetable I can't see how that would work in the morning. Unless the plan is for Wincham to take on some 31/37 journeys.

E.g. Crewe driver - 05:40 Crewe to Northwich, then 07:15 Northwich to Chester
Wincham driver - 06:50 Northwich to Crewe (that the driver off the 05:40 would otherwise take)

I suppose the vehicles that start at Chester and Tarvin would have an empty run whichever depot they came from.

I don't think they would consider closing Wincham, as where would you run the 48 Frodsham & 49 Northwich Rudheath-Weaverham from?

That is only 2 vehicles and just 1 on Saturdays. Prior to getting the 88 contract, they didn't seem to mind running the 300 Knutsford circular from Crewe.

EDIT: 49 should include hourly Rudheath-Northwich journeys including the hourly Rudheath-Weaverham service. It looks like like the former haven't tracked since Crewe took over the 82.

Chaserider manage to as well the "oh they can ring us" mentality was good in the past but with people's anxieties now phone calls are a dying art, I do reley heavily on bustimes.org for all operators though.

I tried phoning D&G on a Saturday before, when a bus failed to show. Both the Cheshire and Staffordshire numbers went to answer phone.

Last edited:

Travelmonkey

]

I tried phoning D&G on a Saturday before, when a bus failed to show. Both the Cheshire and Staffordshire numbers went to answer phone.

Had that with diamond before when one driver blew straight past me as I was checking the timetable & then the next 2 buses were no shows,

Simon75

On Moderation

Is the former Arriva Winsford depot still still vacant, which they could use ?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Is the former Arriva Winsford depot still still vacant, which they could use ?
I don't think D&G want another full size depot. The Arriva yard takes 60 odd buses I think and is a full on unit. Far too big to move in a few services. The only thing that would make D&G move to Winsford depot would be if Crewe shut but given the investment there, I think the chance of moving out of Crewe, anytime soon, is nil.

SeanM1997

Stoke City Council have gone out for tender on several routes. Perhaps there are some in here which D&G will bid on - https://www.stoke.gov.uk/news/artic...transport_improvement_plan_for_stoke-on-trent:

As part of the council’s plans to improve services and make life easier for residents, bus operators are being invited to bid for tenders to operate new and extended services across Stoke-on-Trent.

The first phase of tenders being advertised are proposed to enhance and introduce the following routes until 31 March 2026:

• Service 6 (City Centre - Longton)
  • Service 8 (Ball Green - Norton – Smallthorne – City Centre)
  • Service 11 (Longton – Bentilee – City Centre)
  • Service 23 (Blurton - Stoke - City Centre or Newstead – Blurton – Stoke – City Centre)
  • Service 26 (Bentilee – Berry Hill - City Centre or Park Hall – Bentilee – Berry Hill – City Centre)
  • Service 36 (Meir – Longton – City Centre – Burslem – Tunstall – Kidsgrove)
  • Service 36A (Meir Park – Longton – City Centre – Burslem – Tunstall Kidsgrove)
  • Service 50 (Longton – Pool Dole (Fenton) – City Centre or Lightwood – Longton – Pool Dole (Fenton) – City Centre)
Companies have until midnight on Wednesday 28 February 2024, to make a submission. Each bid will be considered by a case-by-case basis.

The routes listed above are only the proposed routes and are subject to change. They may not reflect the final services.

Councillor Jane Ashworth, leader of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, said: “We are committed to improving our local transport network as part of our vision of making the city a healthier, wealthier, safer, greener, cleaner and fairer place for all who live and work here.

“We want to work with the bus companies to introduce additional journeys which run more frequently and operate at the weekends. This will help to open up key employment sites and make it easier for everyone – from students to pensioners – to use public transport. We ultimately want to increase the number of people using public transport and make it as easy as possible to travel around the city.

“These tender opportunities are the very first step in getting these bus service enhancements in place and I would encourage all of the local bus companies to submit a bid. I am really looking forward to announcing the successful tenders later this year.”

Councillor Amjid Wazir, deputy leader and cabinet member for city pride, enforcement and sustainability, added: “Building on our highly successful Affordable Fares scheme, which we launched last year, we are really pleased to announce these tender opportunities.

“People have told us that the lack of buses at key times is a big issue. We hope that bus operators will get onboard so that we can make it easier to get around our city, get to school, college, work or leisure facilities and make the most of what Stoke-on-Trent has to offer.”

The Bus Service Enhancement Scheme forms part of Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s wider Bus Service Improvement Plan which is being funded by £31.6 million from the Department for Transport (DfT).

It follows the launch of the Affordable Fares scheme back in July which offers significantly discounted fares to passengers across Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle.

For more information about the tenders, visit Opportunities to supply the council | Stoke-on-Trent or www.stoke.gov.uk/publictransport.

northwichcat

Established Member
Visited Macclesfield yesterday and realised the stand allocations are a real mess on Saturdays. Some hours D&G's 19 is shown as arriving into stand 8 at xx:24 and departing at xx:40. While High Peak's 14 is shown as arriving into stand 8 at xx:28 and departing at xx:40! There's also two occasions on Saturdays where 88 and 130 services are scheduled to depart from stand 7 at the same time.

It gets very messy in the afternoon where the allocation is:

Stand 7:
130 arrival at 14:39
88 arrival at 14:40
130 departure at 14:45
88 departure at 14:45

Stand 8
19 (D&G) arrival 14:24
14 (High Peak) arrival 14:28
14 (High Peak) departure 14:30
19 (D&G) departure 14:40
14 (High Peak) arrival 14:48
14 (High Peak) arrival 14:50

It's bad enough the 88 and 130 departures are the same time, given they are every 120 and 90 minutes respectively on Saturdays, and are the two services that depart Macclesfield the same way (via Victoria Road and the Hospital), never mind having the poor allocation of stands.

But overall, it does now look like Macclesfield has a modern allocation of vehicles. Just noticed 2 vehicles registered before 2013 - one D&G Enviro and one Aimee's Solo, while at the other end there's obviously the brand new MMCs on the 38.

ShaunyFlynn

Visited Macclesfield yesterday and realised the stand allocations are a real mess on Saturdays. Some hours D&G's 19 is shown as arriving into stand 8 at xx:24 and departing at xx:40. While High Peak's 14 is shown as arriving into stand 8 at xx:28 and departing at xx:40! There's also two occasions on Saturdays where 88 and 130 services are scheduled to depart from stand 7 at the same time.
When the 19/19A’s arrive into the bus station, they normally pull in at Bay 1/2 to drop passengers off and then wait until the 14/14A has left Bay 8 and then make their way down to Bay 8 to pick everyone up and start the service.

northwichcat

Established Member
When the 19/19A’s arrive into the bus station, they normally pull in at Bay 1/2 to drop passengers off and then wait until the 14/14A has left Bay 8 and then make their way down to Bay 8 to pick everyone up and start the service.

I did see a 19 departing from stand 7 and an 88 departing from stand 8 on Saturday.

On an unrelated point a number of closed services have started tracking on bus times:

Cheshire College South & West: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-54-lj56-vsu
John Deanes College: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-573-yy73-rfj
ANSA, Leighton Hospital and Crewe Business Park: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-155-mx11-ege and https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-136-yj59-nna
Alton Towers: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-594-yy64-gwm
Possibly Derby University Buxton campus: https://bustimes.org/vehicles/dagc-108-yx63-gyg

----------------

The North Western Road Car livered Enviro 200 returned to service on the 88 today (31st Jan), after almost 2 months out-of-service.

Last edited: