• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB running on HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
They are DB Class 407, but I dont know if that was what they are going to get for TOPs, assuming they even have to be in TOPs as they wont run anywhere that isnt on HS1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Just a thought, but will they need yellow ends?

blackfive460

Not good news.

'Deutsche Bahn AG said its planned rail service from Frankfurt to London via the Channel Tunnel has been put back from 2013 to 2015.

Delays in the delivery of 16 new high-speed trains from Siemens AG mean that the planned three-times-daily service won’t now start as scheduled...
'

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps they should have gone to Bombardier! They'd have been on time and totally reliable from the off!

It does say in the article that Eurostar may be running services to Frankfurt from early 2014, which does give them a head start - and the ability to keep prices high for a while without any competition.

The plus side is that Eurostar can now do the hard work of establishing the route and generating demand (through advertising) and DB can save some money!

cle

Established Member
Bugger. That is bad news - I was getting quite excited about this.

starrymarkb

Established Member
They are DB Class 407, but I dont know if that was what they are going to get for TOPs, assuming they even have to be in TOPs as they wont run anywhere that isnt on HS1.

I suspect they'll be class 407.

There is a precedent - Class 22 was used by BB22xxx locomotives around Dolland's Moor despite them being 25kV AC/1500V DC Locomotives

themiller

Just a thought, but will they need yellow ends?
I seem to remember from the early days of the tunnel that the shuttle locomotives were designed to be able to rescue a failed Eurostar. If this is the case and no Class 6400 diesels were available, they would need to take it as far as Ebbsfleet but more likely St. Pancras in order to detrain passengers. Since the shuttle locos do not sport yellow noses it must be assumed that it is not essential. As an aside, can the locos coming to the end of a RHTT cycle be regarded to have yellow ends when they are completely covered in rust brown detritus?

kylemore

Not good news.

'Deutsche Bahn AG said its planned rail service from Frankfurt to London via the Channel Tunnel has been put back from 2013 to 2015.

Delays in the delivery of 16 new high-speed trains from Siemens AG mean that the planned three-times-daily service won’t now start as scheduled...
'

Perhaps this due to our new found Glorious Isolation?
(Cue Battle of Britain theme and corp Jones saying "they don't like it up em'"):lol:

brianthegiant

The plus side is that Eurostar can now do the hard work of establishing the route and generating demand (through advertising) and DB can save some money!
hmm, it makes you wonder doesn't it, if this isn't a cat & mouse game between E* & DB to get the other to go first.

& re the other posts re yellow noses, I believe from other threads that the yellow nose is superfluous on HS1 as 'live' lineside working isn't permitted above 125mph, so presumably E*s still have it for historical Waterloo reasons, but is now redundant since the DC gear is removed.

cle

Established Member
I can't recall Eurostar saying they'd run to Frankfurt.

I think Lyon, Geneva and Amsterdam (presumably stopping at Antwerp and Rotterdam minimum) - were the ones mentioned for their new stock.

Whereas DB were to run to Amsterdam and Frankfurt via Cologne, splitting the same train at Brussels.

So Amsterdam I think was the only overlap. But who knows what will actually happen now. Hadn't work begun at Cologne for an isolated platform solution?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I thought it was more because it is now considered to be the classic Eurostar livery.

I've asked someone at ES HQ who should know... Will report back in due course...

Got the answer... since Network Rail now own HS1 the yellow ends have been a mandatory requirement on HS1. So the yellow ends will be staying - and will need to be applied to the ICEs as well.....

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
ICEs will look horrible if it's just a standard add on to their normal white livery. On the other hand, DB quite often change the livery of the driving cars, e.g. for World Cup, so if something was done to a significant proportion of the coach, it would probably be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.