DB running on HS1

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Relativenewbie, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

I would expect 320k somewhere between Calais and Brussels. Don't think Brussels-Cologne is that high, Cologne-Frankfurt has maximum speed of 300k. No idea about the Dutch HSL, but aren't Fyra trains limited to 250k?

At present, ICE3 trains run at 300k max between Frankfurt Airport & Siegburg Bonn, plus Inglostadt Nord & Nürnberg Frankenstadion (in Germany) and at 320k on LGV Est in France
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Brussels-Frankfurt trains don't reverse at Cologne, or did you mean something else?
    ICE German Network Shows line speeds. The new lines being built/planned between Ulm-Stuttgart & Nürnberg-Erfurt-Leipzig will probably have 300k sections

2. talltim

talltim Established Member

To be fair, there should be more room in an ICE 3 than a Eurostar because they are built to European loading gauge rather than the UK loading gauge of the E*

3. cle

cle Established Member

I don't think they've mentioned Cologne actually - unless I'm missing something.

Their expansion announcement mentioned Amsterdam, and then also just Lyon and Geneva. I would assume perhaps a train split in Lille (and removal of Lille stops from other trains) and then down towards Lyon via the CDG/Disney line.

If you dared mix Swiss bankers and kids, you could even cover off the Disney journeys on this route! <(

4. lemonic

lemonic Member

Are you getting confused between DB ICE services and Eurostar e320 services? DB plan to run from London to Amsterdam via Rotterdam and Frankfurt via Cologne. They have no plans to run from the UK to southern France. Eurostar, on the other hand, do.

5. cle

cle Established Member

No, I think you're not following from the beginning.

I was talking about Eurostar and their new e320 stock - on a tangent about asking about the 320km/h running.

6. es373

es373 Member

To which I answered your question.

7. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

Sorry, I was reffering to the last sentence of cle's post that I misread, so it is a pointless post whichever I was reffering to :oops:

8. es373

es373 Member

Message deleted

Last edited: 29 Sep 2011
  9. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Cologne is where I want to be able to get to in one go, before being able to taken an overnight train to Denmark and on to Sweden. Given DB will presumably time things well for connections, it will mean being able to leave mid-afternoon from London, arriving in Stockholm in early afternoon the next day - with a, hopefully, relaxing and enjoyable trip throughout.

10. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

Would it not be possible to put such 'rejected' passengers straight back on a train back? I'm sure I have seen on one of those TV programmes which follow UKBA, people arriving in the UK and being not accepted for one reason or another and put back on a flight home at the next opportunity.

11. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

@ es373, no I mean the DB version with 8 coaches, e320 hasn't been built yet

@ Jon, DB don't always have reasonable connections, this is a possible schedule for London-Stockholm for tomorrow:

London d: 14:34
    Brussels a: 17:33
    Brussels d: 18:25
    Cologne a: 20:15
    Cologne d: 22:28
    Copenhagen a: 10:02
    Copenhagen d: 10:13
    Malmo a: 10:44
    Malmo d: 11:17
    Stockholm a: 15:39

I'd say Copenhagen is a bit tight, as CNL trains are frequently late. The trains from Copenhagen to Malmo are every 15 mins I think, but then you're making the connection at Malmo rather shorter

12. cle

cle Established Member

I wonder what the true battleground will be.

I think really the most competition will be on Brussels routes, as well as Amsterdam, which both are serving.

I don't see DB needing Lille as Brussels will be their coupling place and fast Brussels journeys will be better for them (currently E* can be often semi-fast to Brussels).

As above, I would imagine that if Eurostar do any splitting of trains, Lille would make most sense as you could access Amsterdam and also Disney/Lyon/Geneva from there - and leave the Paris trains untouched.

Also - DB could go for both Ashford and Stratford markets and win back (in the former's case) potential E* passengers.

Maybe a gentlemen's agreement will keep DB out of Lille/Paris and E* out of Germany! Bet E* are relieved Air France gave up on their Paris plans.

13. es373

es373 Member

There is one e320 in Europe on test runs, UK should see the first one in 2013 for commissioning due to enter traffic in 2014. Also seimens started production of them yesterday.

May you stand corrected?

14. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Even with a later X2000 to Stockholm, that's still a fairly nice run. I say that despite not doing it, but my parents have had said the sleeper is quite nice (own toilet/shower).

It's quite expensive though. I think my parents established that you were better off getting a rail pass (obviously having to pay for the Eurostar bit) and then just booking the cabin on the sleeper.

15. MCR247

How does that work?

You mean a DB Velaro D?
    http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/single-view/view/eurostar-picks-velaro-to-expand-fleet.html

Cologne is said to be a destination there...

16. MCR247

So then it isn't an E320?

This is testing in Germany

17. MCR247

AFAIK there are differences between them, so they really are two separate trains, from the same design obviously

18. es373

es373 Member

But they are still the Valero D type, Manufactured by Siemens..

19. Barrett M95

Barrett M95 Member

e320 is a marketing name for the Eurostar Velaro project. None yet exist in the planned 16 vehicle formation. It shares much with Velaro D but is by no means identical.

20. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would assume things like enhanced fire protection (ie it takes longer for a fire in an engine to spread to say the passenger compartment) compared with a standard Velaro D?

21. es373

es373 Member

It's mostly redundancy - engine? Unlike the 373, the E320 doesn't have a power car so to speak.

22. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes engine bad word choice there. I meant the traction motors and such like underneath the floors.

23. Barrett M95

Barrett M95 Member

Fire protection, drivers advisory system, inclusion of AWS...

24. es373

es373 Member

Barrett, what's the DAS? upgraded guide?

25. Barrett M95

Barrett M95 Member

As I understand it - yes, but it also includes an eco-driving guide for the drivers (providing the train is running to time). It will have route profiles programmed into it.

26. es373

es373 Member

Oo it's a bit savvy isn't it? No more bulb changing either! LEDs FTW!

27. Barrett M95

Barrett M95 Member

As I understand it, TMST egg-boxes are to be converted to LED also. That should save u some work.

28. es373

es373 Member

That's good, shame though. Looking in the cab - it does have a nostalgic feeling to it.
    Onwards and upwards though I guess!

29. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

Has a class number been assigned to the 8-vehicle Velaro Ds or to the 16-vehicle Eurostar "e320" yet?

30. es373

es373 Member

Hmmm 407 comes to mind. Don't know why. Probably completely unrelated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.