• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB running on HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I would expect 320k somewhere between Calais and Brussels. Don't think Brussels-Cologne is that high, Cologne-Frankfurt has maximum speed of 300k. No idea about the Dutch HSL, but aren't Fyra trains limited to 250k?

At present, ICE3 trains run at 300k max between Frankfurt Airport & Siegburg Bonn, plus Inglostadt Nord & Nürnberg Frankenstadion (in Germany) and at 320k on LGV Est in France
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And Cologne :)

Brussels-Frankfurt trains don't reverse at Cologne, or did you mean something else?
ICE German Network Shows line speeds. The new lines being built/planned between Ulm-Stuttgart & Nürnberg-Erfurt-Leipzig will probably have 300k sections

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
I would love it if DB use ICE 3 style (or Velaro D as is being quoted) trains from London to Germany.

I travelled from Munich to London yesterday, and the difference in quality between the ICE 3 and the Eurostar stock was unbeleivable.

The ICE was roomy, comfortable, quiet, smooth, and an all round very pleasent place to be. The Eurostar was cramped, noisy, and the lights were far too bright.

To be fair, there should be more room in an ICE 3 than a Eurostar because they are built to European loading gauge rather than the UK loading gauge of the E*

cle

Established Member
And Cologne :)

I don't think they've mentioned Cologne actually - unless I'm missing something.

Their expansion announcement mentioned Amsterdam, and then also just Lyon and Geneva. I would assume perhaps a train split in Lille (and removal of Lille stops from other trains) and then down towards Lyon via the CDG/Disney line.

If you dared mix Swiss bankers and kids, you could even cover off the Disney journeys on this route! <(

lemonic

I don't think they've mentioned Cologne actually - unless I'm missing something.

Their expansion announcement mentioned Amsterdam, and then also just Lyon and Geneva. I would assume perhaps a train split in Lille (and removal of Lille stops from other trains) and then down towards Lyon via the CDG/Disney line.

If you dared mix Swiss bankers and kids, you could even cover off the Disney journeys on this route! <(

Are you getting confused between DB ICE services and Eurostar e320 services? DB plan to run from London to Amsterdam via Rotterdam and Frankfurt via Cologne. They have no plans to run from the UK to southern France. Eurostar, on the other hand, do.

cle

Established Member
Are you getting confused between DB ICE services and Eurostar e320 services? DB plan to run from London to Amsterdam via Rotterdam and Frankfurt via Cologne. They have no plans to run from the UK to southern France. Eurostar, on the other hand, do.

No, I think you're not following from the beginning.

I was talking about Eurostar and their new e320 stock - on a tangent about asking about the 320km/h running.

es373

No, I think you're not following from the beginning.

I was talking about Eurostar and their new e320 stock - on a tangent about asking about the 320km/h running.
To which I answered your question.

MCR247

Established Member
Brussels-Frankfurt trains don't reverse at Cologne, or did you mean something else?

Sorry, I was reffering to the last sentence of cle's post that I misread, so it is a pointless post whichever I was reffering to :oops:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Cologne is where I want to be able to get to in one go, before being able to taken an overnight train to Denmark and on to Sweden. Given DB will presumably time things well for connections, it will mean being able to leave mid-afternoon from London, arriving in Stockholm in early afternoon the next day - with a, hopefully, relaxing and enjoyable trip throughout.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Wonder if DB could get a dispensation from the UKBA and arrange for passport controls to be carried out on board a train bound for London. These checks could be undertaken before the London bound ICE reached Brussels, with the UKBA 'rejecting' passengers, as necessary, before they reached UK territory.

Indeed, there used to be onboard checks on the Eurostar.

Scaled back Spanish station style security checks could be installed at Amsterdam, Cologne, Frankfurt...

Would it not be possible to put such 'rejected' passengers straight back on a train back? I'm sure I have seen on one of those TV programmes which follow UKBA, people arriving in the UK and being not accepted for one reason or another and put back on a flight home at the next opportunity.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
@ es373, no I mean the DB version with 8 coaches, e320 hasn't been built yet

@ Jon, DB don't always have reasonable connections, this is a possible schedule for London-Stockholm for tomorrow:

London d: 14:34
Brussels a: 17:33
Brussels d: 18:25
Cologne a: 20:15
Cologne d: 22:28
Copenhagen a: 10:02
Copenhagen d: 10:13
Malmo a: 10:44
Malmo d: 11:17
Stockholm a: 15:39

I'd say Copenhagen is a bit tight, as CNL trains are frequently late. The trains from Copenhagen to Malmo are every 15 mins I think, but then you're making the connection at Malmo rather shorter

cle

Established Member
I wonder what the true battleground will be.

I think really the most competition will be on Brussels routes, as well as Amsterdam, which both are serving.

I don't see DB needing Lille as Brussels will be their coupling place and fast Brussels journeys will be better for them (currently E* can be often semi-fast to Brussels).

As above, I would imagine that if Eurostar do any splitting of trains, Lille would make most sense as you could access Amsterdam and also Disney/Lyon/Geneva from there - and leave the Paris trains untouched.

Also - DB could go for both Ashford and Stratford markets and win back (in the former's case) potential E* passengers.

Maybe a gentlemen's agreement will keep DB out of Lille/Paris and E* out of Germany! Bet E* are relieved Air France gave up on their Paris plans.

es373

@ es373, no I mean the DB version with 8 coaches, e320 hasn't been built yet

@ Jon, DB don't always have reasonable connections, this is a possible schedule for London-Stockholm for tomorrow:

I'd say Copenhagen is a bit tight, as CNL trains are frequently late. The trains from Copenhagen to Malmo are every 15 mins I think, but then you're making the connection at Malmo rather shorter

There is one e320 in Europe on test runs, UK should see the first one in 2013 for commissioning due to enter traffic in 2014. Also seimens started production of them yesterday.

May you stand corrected?

jon0844

Veteran Member

Even with a later X2000 to Stockholm, that's still a fairly nice run. I say that despite not doing it, but my parents have had said the sleeper is quite nice (own toilet/shower).

It's quite expensive though. I think my parents established that you were better off getting a rail pass (obviously having to pay for the Eurostar bit) and then just booking the cabin on the sleeper.

MCR247

Established Member
There is one e320 in Europe on test runs, UK should see the first one in 2013 for commissioning due to enter traffic in 2014. Also seimens started production of them yesterday.

How does that work?

You mean a DB Velaro D?

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/single-view/view/eurostar-picks-velaro-to-expand-fleet.html

Cologne is said to be a destination there...

MCR247

Established Member
I've heard rumours that its non liveried, no seating test train. valero D thing which is a e320 with a few more bits I think.
The official production started yesterday in Germany.

I wonder how it will get over here when it's built, reckon it will be put on a ship?
So then it isn't an E320?

This is testing in Germany

MCR247

Established Member
AFAIK there are differences between them, so they really are two separate trains, from the same design obviously

Barrett M95

e320 is a marketing name for the Eurostar Velaro project. None yet exist in the planned 16 vehicle formation. It shares much with Velaro D but is by no means identical.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It shares much with Velaro D but is by no means identical.

I would assume things like enhanced fire protection (ie it takes longer for a fire in an engine to spread to say the passenger compartment) compared with a standard Velaro D?

es373

It's mostly redundancy - engine? Unlike the 373, the E320 doesn't have a power car so to speak.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's mostly redundancy - engine? Unlike the 373, the E320 doesn't have a power car so to speak.

Yes engine bad word choice there. I meant the traction motors and such like underneath the floors.

Barrett M95

As I understand it - yes, but it also includes an eco-driving guide for the drivers (providing the train is running to time). It will have route profiles programmed into it.

Barrett M95

As I understand it, TMST egg-boxes are to be converted to LED also. That should save u some work.

es373

That's good, shame though. Looking in the cab - it does have a nostalgic feeling to it.
Onwards and upwards though I guess!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Has a class number been assigned to the 8-vehicle Velaro Ds or to the 16-vehicle Eurostar "e320" yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.