• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB through the tunnel this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Does anyone know why the ICE3 has so many pans? Noticed it today when I saw the unit at St Pancras that every non driving carriage had its own pan.

daikilo

Established Member
But if customs and immigration controls were to be abolished for Eurostar services, then wouldn't the airline industry demand the abolition of border controls for short-haul flights?

As in the UK becomes part of Shenghen? Yes please. Much less significant at airports than on trains.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Because they operate with different overhead supplies in different countries. On Belgium's classic lines there is a DC overhead supply, so they have 2 sets of pans, two for AC and two for DC.

WatcherZero

Established Member
DB Chairman has just hinted that the service may be introduced before the 2013 date, in fact in time for visitors to the 2012 Olympics.

Competition for international rail with UK really heating up.

chic

An aside, but I was interested that a german insurance/banking group being reported today as a bidder for the ctrl/hs1.

If that happened, it'd certainly help clear any nonsense from the French over train specs.

philjo

Established Member
I see that Eurostar have got full page ads advertising Eurostar fares to Cologne in the national papers today (seen in the Times, Guardian & also the Metro).
They had a whole sheet advert around the outside of the evening standard last night advertising Cologne and Amsterdam.

Csalem

It was great seeing a DB ICE train in London and I wonder what John Betjeman would think of all this:

DSCF0097.jpg

Looking at that picture and the man in the wheelchair got me thinking that possibly seventy years ago he was fighting to keep the Germans out of London... :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, and I guess they're hoping that now the press has talked of journeys to Holland and Germany, but not until 2013 (or maybe 2012 which could be nothing more than a special service for the event only), people can see that they can actually go there now - albeit with a change at Brussels.

I did laugh when I got my ES yesterday, but it makes sense to cash in on the publicity that DB got (and they got a lot) from a business point of view.

To be fair, they have been advertising these destinations for a lot of the summer on posters all over the place.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looking at that picture and the man in the wheelchair got me thinking that possibly seventy years ago he was fighting to keep the Germans out of London... :lol:

Don't worry, the Germans will still have to get by the infamous St Pancras RPIs that take no prisoners!

I see that Eurostar have got full page ads advertising Eurostar fares to Cologne in the national papers today (seen in the Times, Guardian & also the Metro).
They had a whole sheet advert around the outside of the evening standard last night advertising Cologne and Amsterdam.

That's a worried company if I ever saw one!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Then again he might be one of the Germans who were trying to fight themselves in.:D

Jan

To be precise, they actually have three pairs of pans:
2 x with wide coal contact strip (Germany, Austria, Netherlands AC?)
2 x with narrow coal contact strip (France & Belgium AC, Switzerland)
2 x with wide metallised coal contact strip (France & Netherlands & Belgium DC)

Dai.

Established Member
Isn't Eurostar(UK) now Eurostar International and running as a completely separate stand-alone company or have I read something in a business magazine wrongly? (It's not unknown!)

You're not wrong. They are a separate stand alone company

Eurostar is a private limited (ltd) company. "Eurostar International Ltd", transformed from Eurostar UK Limited.

This means their shares are not given to shareholders on the stock exchange but a selection of partners who buy them privately from the company itself.

The shares are -
SNCF (55%), SNCB (5%) and LCR (40%).

SNCF are the majority owners as they have the most shares, so they can freely disagree with the managing director of the company.

I hope this helps explain things!

Dai.

Established Member
Man or woman, it doesn't particularly matter.

Back on topic?

jon0844

Veteran Member
In the photo that was with the comment, it was a woman sitting inside the train (I know because she looked at me in a second photo as the autofocus light made her look, but it was blurred so I didn't post it) . Unless I got to see the wrong photo in the post. Anyway, it doesn't really matter!

WatcherZero

Established Member
The comment was the guy in the wheelchair probably fought the Germans, but yeah back to topic.

To be precise, they actually have three pairs of pans:
2 x with wide coal contact strip (Germany, Austria, Netherlands AC?)
2 x with narrow coal contact strip (France & Belgium AC, Switzerland)
2 x with wide metallised coal contact strip (France & Netherlands & Belgium DC)

For coal read carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.