• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dead Tickets still in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
A friend of mine was trying to book tickets from Bangor (Gwynedd) to Leamington Spa a while ago, but the only Advance tickets that are available are "Virgin Trains Only" tickets, so cannot actually be booked as Virgin haven't served Leamington since 2007. A similar situation exists between Bangor and Manchester, with VT only £6.60 advance tickets being shown as available, but not actually being available on any trains despite the fact VT still serve both of these places. Is there any reason these tickets are still in they system, as it is most frustrating that they are not available to buy.

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
A similar situation exists between Bangor and Manchester, with VT only £6.60 advance tickets being shown as available, but not actually being available on any trains despite the fact VT still serve both of these places.
£6.60 appears to be the lowest 2012 rate with a Railcard. The lowest 2013 rate with a Railcard, £6.95, is currently available on Tuesday 12 February on:

2020 Bangor (Gwynedd) - Crewe 2154 VT
2213 Crewe - Manchester Piccadilly 2248 VT

Search for Bangor (Gwynedd) to Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe.

thedbdiboy

This most often occurs with cluster priced fares where some stations in the cluster are not served by the required service. It is an overhang from the current (antiquated) fares system which is due to be replaced in 2014, and should lead to such fares being removed from display in due course!

D2022

The TVM at Swindon, next to the departures screen still shows a super off peak return option for SWI - WSB. Yet use it and its not valid...

Eagle

Established Member
This most often occurs with cluster priced fares where some stations in the cluster are not served by the required service.

The cluster in question is only the stations from Leamington to Stratford, of which none are served by VT. And only Leamington has the advance fares, the other seven in the cluster are walk-up only.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This most often occurs with cluster priced fares where some stations in the cluster are not served by the required service. It is an overhang from the current (antiquated) fares system which is due to be replaced in 2014, and should lead to such fares being removed from display in due course!

I certainly hope this does not spell the end for cluster pricing. If so, I anticipate many more loopholes than the existing system.

Much of the redundant fares do no harm whatsoever, as the majority of passengers will not see them. It is usually only visible to those digging deep into the fares database.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I certainly hope this does not spell the end for cluster pricing. If so, I anticipate many more loopholes than the existing system.

Much of the redundant fares do no harm whatsoever, as the majority of passengers will not see them. It is usually only visible to those digging deep into the fares database.

I suspect what thedbdiboy means is that the new system will be more versatile and provide tools to the TOC pricing managers to allow them to do this deep digging and discover anomalies themselves ;)

D2022

Which is odd because BRFares.com says that ticket doesn't exist (any more?).

I'm travelling to Bath Spa for surgery tomorrow so might try and buy one just to see if it allows you to actually complete the transaction. Hopefully not or my gamble will cost me some pennies into the machines belly :lol: but in all fairness it's there and shows up, yet we all know its not a ticket anymore, even the ticket clerks had some eyebrows raised when I told them it's in the system. Just on that one TVM though, not the other one in the foyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.