• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT prepares to wage war on train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...rain-drivers/story-28783309-detail/story.html

Croydon Advertiser said:
DfT official says train drivers who oppose Government reforms 'can get hell out of my industry'

A SENIOR official at the Department for Transport says train drivers who resist changes to their working hours can "get the hell out of my industry".

Peter Wilkinson, managing director of passenger services, told a public meeting in Croydon there will be "punch ups" with drivers when the Government changes their working hours to improve rail services.

His comments suggest the Government is prepared for another protracted industrial dispute following Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt's bitter row with junior doctors.

"Over the next three years we're going to be having punch ups and we will see industrial action and I want your support," Mr Wilkinson told residents in Croydon Town Hall last Thursday during a meeting organised by Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell.

Mr Wilkinson said train drivers are paid high salaries of about £60,000 a year or more to work three days a week, with no obligation to work on Sundays. He told the meeting drivers still have the same "fire break" rest stops as they did when trains were run on coal.

"I'm furious about it and it has got to change - we have got to break them," he said.

"They have all borrowed money to buy cars and got credit cards.

"They can't afford to spend too long on strike and I will push them into that place.

"They will have to decide if they want to give a good service or get the hell out of my industry."

Is it professional for a senior government official to use this kind of provocative language?

I would like Mr Wilkinson to show me one train driver who works a three-day week and earns 60 grand a year.

I previously felt the guy was pretty sound and had some good points. I guess I will be disappointed again.

I wonder whether Mr Wilkinson realizes that the railway industry is supposed to be a family. :roll: Your industry? I am sure plenty of railway staff will not hesitate to tell him to "get the hell out of my industry" too. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
What on earth is a '"fire break" rest stop' supposed to be?

It just doesn't exist. Has never existed.

deltic

Established Member
I cant believe a senior civil servant would ever use such language in public especially one who rarely gives interviews - I would be seeking a drugs and alcohol test.

Bizarre comments even to make in a private conversation never mind in a public one.

richieb1971

Established Member
I don't believe its in the industries best interests to let drivers dictate their own terms and conditions. The compensation you get is for the job at hand as long as it sits within the boundaries of the law. It sounds like the drivers are ganging up and using their combined muscle to stop advancements in the services.

GB

Established Member
I don't believe its in the industries best interests to let drivers dictate their own terms and conditions. The compensation you get is for the job at hand as long as it sits within the boundaries of the law. It sounds like the drivers are ganging up and using their combined muscle to stop advancements in the services.

Which drivers are dictating their own terms and conditions and which drivers are ganging up?

dk1

Veteran Member
Oh this could be fun. Something to keep us amused :roll: ;)

PS - Bring it on.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member

Drivers do not dictate their own terms and conditions, they work to the terms and conditions they signed up to when agreeing to their contracts

NSEFAN

Established Member
That quote is something else. If it's true, I suggest that Mr Wilkinson has never done safety critical shift work, as three days a week with semi-random hours being directly in charge of hundreds of peoples' safety sounds to me like it should attract good pay / good conditions.

455driver

Veteran Member
Just as the junior doctors are doing at the moment! :roll:

Why don't you do some research before posting, or are you Peter Wilkinson in disguise?
I see a similarity in the posting style, IE complete and utter cow manure! :lol:

I signed a contract dictating my pay, terms and conditions (just as the junior doctors did), all I want to do is continue as is (although I am open to constructive changes), but will not accept wholesale reductions or changes being forced on me, why do you have a problem with that?

Edit-
I am 100% in support of the junior Doctors and think it is disgusting that in a (supposed) modern society a Government would even consider implementation of rewritten contracts which adversely effect the staffs moral and work/life balance, never mind actually impose it on a dedicated hard working group of workers (that's the junior doctors not us lazy/ overpaid/ militant button pushers who only do a 3 day week for £60k a year, apparently)!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...rain-drivers/story-28783309-detail/story.html

Is it professional for a senior government official to use this kind of provocative language?

I would like Mr Wilkinson to show me one train driver who works a three-day week and earns 60 grand a year.

I previously felt the guy was pretty sound and had some good points. I guess I will be disappointed again.

I wonder whether Mr Wilkinson realizes that the railway industry is supposed to be a family. :roll: Your industry? I am sure plenty of railway staff will not hesitate to tell him to "get the hell out of my industry" too. :lol:

Surely he cant honestly have said that in those terms? Can he?

:roll: where do you get these ideas?

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
I cant believe a senior civil servant would ever use such language in public especially one who rarely gives interviews - I would be seeking a drugs and alcohol test.
I wasn't aware of any restrictions applying to alcohol consumption at public meetings though not advisable for senior civil servants.

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
Everything which he said is a blatant lie. None of it is true. Sadly the very stupid people who blindly believe what they read in the press will believe it.

His figures are completely false and made up. Can't work out where he got any of them for, did he just make up some numbers or was he misinformed?!

Of course if they truly wanted to negotiate our conditions to help improve the service (like they have done every other year at pay talks) they could just talk to is civilly and come up with a mutually beneficial and fair deal. But the Tory government don't want that. They want to paint the workers out as the baddies and turn everyone else against us by forcing us into strike action.

Train drivers are a very close group of workers and do stick together. Trade union bill or not, if they force these changes through an not a single driver signs the new contracts they will have a service gap of a couple of years whilst they sack us all and train up an entirely new workforce across the country.

A-driver

Established Member

Train drivers don't dictate their own conditions though. And not a single driver or union is against advancements in the services. In fact very much the opposite at the moment. But would it not be better for the DfT to civilly sit down and talk with us telling us what they want exactly so we can negotiate a fair deal which benefits everyone rather than spreading blatant lies and making threats about who will blink first re credit card bills and car loans...

what he has done is declared war on us without even giving us a chance to accept any proposals he may have. How exactly does he expect us to react to what he said except to strike?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has this story been published anywhere else apart from the Croydon Advertiser?

Not yet that I can see. This is largely about trying to pin the blame from GTRs failings onto the staff rather than the DfT, Govia, First group and NR.

trash80

Established Member
Wouldn't be surprised if it is true, conflict seems to be the only way the establishment like to approach industrial relations.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm not sure how much you can change my working hours. There are only 2 days of the year where I haven't been required to work and I'm already contractually obliged to work those if requested. There isn't a time of the day or night where I haven't driven a train.

I would however; happily work a 3 day week for £60k <D

He has apologised.
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...rain-drivers/story-28785666-detail/story.html

But today Mr Wilkinson said sorry for "any offence caused" by the remarks.

"I care passionately about the rail industry and I am committed to helping Government deliver a better rail service for passengers," he said, adding: "To do this we need to work with the whole of the rail industry."

A DfT spokesman said it is "right" Mr Wilkinson has apologised.

"He has a fine record of delivering a better railway for passengers, and this is what he will continue to do," the spokesman said.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how much you can change my working hours. There are only 2 days of the year where I haven't been required to work and I'm already contractually obliged to work those if requested. There isn't a time of the day or night where I haven't driven a train.

I would however; happily work a 3 day week for £60k <D

He has apologised.
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...rain-drivers/story-28785666-detail/story.html

He might have apologised but he hasn't corrected any of the errors in his 'statement' has he!

Of course none of us drivers care passionately about the railways do we! :roll:

He is a prize prat!

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I think this will have come out from a release by the Croydon MP who organised the meeting. I certainly read similar comments from a link on Twitter over the weekend.

So if train drivers don't get paid what he says what do they get paid and what hours do they have to do in return?

HowardGWR

Established Member
I think this will have come out from a release by the Croydon MP who organised the meeting. I certainly read similar comments from a link on Twitter over the weekend.

So if train drivers don't get paid what he says what do they get paid and what hours do they have to do in return?

Who cares? That's between the staff and their reps and the TOCs surely? I thought Wilkinson was in charge of franchising, not as consultant on labour relations to TOCs?

Of course what's at the back of this is DOO or DCO, I suspect.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Who cares? That's between the staff and their reps and the TOCs surely? I thought Wilkinson was in charge of franchising, not as consultant on labour relations to TOCs?

Of course what's at the back of this is DOO or DCO, I suspect.
Someone who might want to get a job working for the railways?

ExRes

Established Member

Log onto the ASLEF website and check the details out for yourself if you're interested, rates of pay and terms and conditions are listed quite openly for all TOCs and FOCs

Andrew1395

To be fair to Mr Wilkinson, when the DfT set out to do something effectively, efficiently and providing the tax payer with value for money- there is always someone they can throw money at to help them deliver.

Scott M

I did not realise how sweet train drivers have it!

I always assumed you guys worked 5 days per week, but just not a normal 9-5 mon-fri.

So is your average working week a one day on, one day off sort of rota?

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I always assumed you guys worked 5 days per week,

Until (semi) recently my TOC was a 5 day week. We still work a 5 day week on a regular basis and some depots have a 6 day week too.

So is your average working week a one day on, one day off sort of rota?

Some TOC's work to a pattern but others work on a more random basis. Technically we are currently on an average 4.25 day week.

Status
Not open for further replies.