• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dilemma: Uni or continue with the trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hi all, new here, basically i've got a dilemma as to whether to go to University to my deffered place or continue in my job.

Currently I work for Southern Railway as a conductor which pays quite well for what it is, plus there is the prospect of progression within the company, even a driver gets paid very well.

On the other hand I have a place at Coventry University to do Automotive and Transport Design, which considering I didn't get the all the required grades is interesting. I could go to Uni and get a good degree and then a good job out of it. However i might still get the degree and no job in my desired field.

Any opinions of your/ suggestions would be most greatful.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm guessing this is a 3 year course? One of the main things to look at is the fact that the jobs market at the minute is not great - and that is coming from someone finishing a BSc this year. This might change in the next 3 years but IMO it will take longer than that. I have no idea what the uptake of graduates is like in that particular field so you'd have to do a bit of research if you haven't already done so. One other point to mention is that you'll be paying a higher rate of tuition fees after 2011/12, which is another thing to bear in mind. I'd be tempted to keep the job you have and try to progress that way.

It is ultimately your decision and one that will affect you for the rest of your working life. Put a lot of thought into whatever you decide and don't try and rush things.

strange6

Established Member
I'm guessing this is a 3 year course? One of the main things to look at is the fact that the jobs market at the minute is not great - and that is coming from someone finishing a BSc this year. This might change in the next 3 years but IMO it will take longer than that. I have no idea what the uptake of graduates is like in that particular field so you'd have to do a bit of research if you haven't already done so. One other point to mention is that you'll be paying a higher rate of tuition fees after 2011/12, which is another thing to bear in mind. I'd be tempted to keep the job you have and try to progress that way.

It is ultimately your decision and one that will affect you for the rest of your working life. Put a lot of thought into whatever you decide and don't try and rush things.

Yeah, think off all that debt too! I would seriously consider staying in your job and perhaps doing it part time with the open university maybe?

Fincra5

Established Member
Yeah, think off all that debt too! I would seriously consider staying in your job and perhaps doing it part time with the open university maybe?

Thats always a posibilty. I shall look into Open University courses.

Thanks (both of you)

Established Member
I doubt that Southern would pay you to do that particular course but it might be worth asking if they'd allow you to work part time whilst doing something such as a project management/railway management type course.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd stick with job, definitely. There are a lot of unemployed graduates about, you are doing a job you (presumably!) enjoy, and if you felt you had missed out, there's nor eason why you couldn't go to University a few years down the line instead.

Fincra5

Established Member
I'd stick with job, definitely. There are a lot of unemployed graduates about, you are doing a job you (presumably!) enjoy, and if you felt you had missed out, there's nor eason why you couldn't go to University a few years down the line instead.

Well so far I'm enjoying the job :) I can't help thinking that because I didn't get the required grades I might not be able gain the same place again.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I went to Uni as a mature student when I was 28 so there were no grades required for me! Not sure how it works now, but all I had to demonstrate was an interest in and knowledge of the subject - an access course would have probably have helped a bit too mind you!

Fincra5

Established Member
I went to Uni as a mature student when I was 28 so there were no grades required for me! Not sure how it works now, but all I had to demonstrate was an interest in and knowledge of the subject - an access course would have probably have helped a bit too mind you!

Hmm, do you think it was better as a mature student or would you have thought it better (upon relfection) to go as a younger student. Not that 28 is that old anyway :D

robby p

Railway all the way! I'm currently a driver, I earn more than anyone I know thats gone to uni and even got a job in their field,(not being big headed...honest!) plus I can earn as much overtime as I want, something lots of uni jobs can't...school teacher for example. I get a secure job, free travel and a good penison and when I finish for the day i'm finished for the day. Also since I work a 4 day week I have 3 days evey week to spend on hobbies or anything I like doing!

Zoe

Established Member
If you are dead set on doing something that requires the degree then go to uni. If not I would say the debt is not worth it. Getting into a job on the railways isn't the easiest thing to do these days and if you went to uni but then decided you didn't like it and wanted to go back to the railway it may not be that easy to get back in.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm torn on this one. I've been to Uni and got a degree and I don't regret the time I spent there one little bit. It was a fantastic experience and it helped me massively, even if only on a personal level. Going to Uni is about so much more than going on to get a better job. Granted it isn't the passport into a high earning job like it used to be, but that doesn't mean that it's a waste of three years.

But then you already have a good job which is about as secure as any job can be and offers prospects for progression. I suppose it depends if you're happy doing that long-term or want to add another string to your bow for later in life.

I'm not sure what support your TOC could give you, but surely it can't hurt to have a chat with your manager. At least you have the opportunity to put a decent amount of money aside now to soften the blow a bit.

O L Leigh

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hmm, do you think it was better as a mature student or would you have thought it better (upon relfection) to go as a younger student. Not that 28 is that old anyway :D

I don;t think I would have completed the course if I had gone when I was 18 or 19. I just wasn't mature enough! At 28 I had a marvellous time, most of the other students (but by no means all) were 9 or 10 years younger than me, which kept me on my toes, but the experiences I'd had in the world of work before going back to education were invaluable. It gave me the perspective to understand the value of what I was doing, and the conifdence to overcome the various challenges that cropped up.

On the other hand, if I had gone when my mates did I wouldn't have had tog et a poxy loan, I could have had a grant!

Oracle

Established Member
I did my grad-equivalent after working for three years, so at age 20 or so, then post-grad a few years later. This meant taking leave off work. In my 40s I decided to do a PhD course part-time and it was fun. However seeing how my elder son is struggling to sort out his futire post-FE, I agree that your best bet is to stay in work. My cousin worked in the City of London and he did a OU course.

The other side of the coin is, speaking as someone who has been associated with auto journalism since 1974, is that that course is tough to get into and you may get offers to work around the world on graduation. Or not! You may be able to get into journalism as magazines now want people with design experience (CAD).

All I can add is that at the moment you have A JOB. If you have the realistic prospect of going further, and especially into driving, well....I know what I would do!

TDK

Established Member
Hi all, new here, basically i've got a dilemma as to whether to go to University to my deffered place or continue in my job.

Currently I work for Southern Railway as a conductor which pays quite well for what it is, plus there is the prospect of progression within the company, even a driver gets paid very well.

On the other hand I have a place at Coventry University to do Automotive and Transport Design, which considering I didn't get the all the required grades is interesting. I could go to Uni and get a good degree and then a good job out of it. However i might still get the degree and no job in my desired field.

Any opinions of your/ suggestions would be most greatful.

Cheers.

Work it out on figures and logic - the field you are taking at uni - look for jobas available now in this field the divide the number of people taking the course in the country and work out the probability on you getting a job when you finish uni, it the percentage probability is high go to uni if not stick with the guards job

Shrub Hill

i think you seriously need to investigate as to whether the university course you wish to do is A. constructive to where you want to go B. will also give you a realistic chance of getting there, in the past,when university courses when funded, they were always set up in accordance with the skill requirements of the population and there fore anyone leaving uni was employable post graduation, with the introduction of tuition fees university's have been turned into business' of sorts with the sole aim of generating as much income as possible, hence the explosion of seemingly pointless courses, they have no care as to whether you pass or fail, leads to a career or does not as long as your paying, if they tell you that 40% of course graduates get a job in there preferred field it means 60% do not but still have an enormous amount of debt, i am 32 this month and in my opinion experience means a lot more to an employer than qualifications, if the course is essential then consider open university, an ability to demonstrate to an employer that you were willing to study over 4 years whilst holding down a highly responsible job will go a lot further in demonstrating your commitment to the role, it will make you stand out above those that have just done a course and could be the difference between success and failure

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I would used to have said follow your heart. Now I would say, follow your heart in conjunction with your head!

I have a degree, a postgraduate in management and 15 plus years of management experience up to a middle/senior level. Never had trouuble getting a job in the past, but was made redundant last September and cannot find work since. I think I am fairly employable!!! The currentemployment market is thetoughest I have ever known it. There are a lot fewer jobs out there and for those the amount of applicants is HUGE.

I would have said Uni in the past, now I woud say try to stay in tour work and study at the same time. Could you go on to a part-time rota and study part-time? Can you do any management development within your company?

That said, your degree is in design and your current role probably won't lead you there?

Flip a coin? (Joking)

Good luck with whatever your decision is and hope it works out well.

kentuckytony

My 2 cents (pennies).

I got a college degree years ago in Math.
After I graduated, I got a job in a machine shop and became a machinist.
Then after 5 years of that I did over 30 years in computers.

Now I am retiring - but so many computer jobs are being farmed out to Asian areas due to cheap (even college degree) labour.

I would vote for the train job.

notadriver

Established Member
The sort of degree I would do would be one that could get me into major projects perhaps abroad where 6 figure salaries are achievable? Or you spend the rest of your life doing shift work in the same place?

Fincra5

Established Member
The sort of degree I would do would be one that could get me into major projects perhaps abroad where 6 figure salaries are achievable? Or you spend the rest of your life doing shift work in the same place?

It is possible that it could lead to a 6 figure salary, but its more likely it won't, only the top designers earn that much.

There is no reason to stay in Southern for "the rest of my life" either...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A dilemma indeed. As others have already said, you've got a good, safe job at the moment, so throwing it away wouldn't be wise. Similarly, you don't want to be stuck in a job you don't want to do for the rest of your days.

I find myself agreeing with those who have already suggested staying in your current job and studying part time via the Open University or similar. That way you won't need a loan or have too many big bills to pay at the end of it all, as you're paying it as you go.

Researching whether this degree will actually give you the options you want is a good idea. The current job market is unbelievable, you want to keep out of the fight for jobs if you can!

I wish you the best of luck with your decision, as at the end of the day only you can decide what to do.

BestWestern

Established Member
If I could add a further view, I didn't fancy Uni and chose to go out and earn a living when I left school. I joined the railways as a Guard aged 21 and I can say with some confidence that I am doing considerably better than a great many of my peers who chose the educational route, including my Cousins and a good few close friends. That isn't to say that Uni isn't the right route for some, or that the railway is everybody's dream job, but keep in mind that your current job is, as you said, fairly well paid and with healthy prospects. If you don't mind the shiftwork, the pay-offs are enviable and I can think of many who would leap at the chance. Many others will have undoubtably applied for the job that was given to you.

So I guess my 'advice' would be don't lose sight of what you currently have, and have done well to achieve. Don't be blinded by an expensive degree with slim chances at the end of it, and don't forget that you can always find time later in life to persue it. Some worthwhile railway experience in the meantime is no bad thing as it will give you a leg-up should you leave the industry and then find that you need to return.

Best of luck whatever your decision!

9K43

You might find that a TOC may not want to help you go to Uni, as they do not like people to be educated, as knowledge is strength.
I did an OU Degree Course from 1995 to 2002 with no help from the FOC, nor did I want help.
I could go to work and if I was spare I could do my studies in the mess room, or on a Sunday Ballast turn. There was always a PC connected to the net, so I could email my assignments to work and email them back home.
I gained a a BSc. in Computors and Education.
Education switches a light on in your head, and sharpens youre mind up.
This is what the FOC did not want, they just want you to jump, and I would ask why.
I got help from the local Authority in the form of half my tuition fees and travel expenses to Summer School.
As I worked on the railway, I got free travel so that was not a problem
A half credit course for 30 points was £80 and a full credit was £160.
You have a choice of being a conductor or go to school. I would go for the job as education will leave you in debt for many years.
Try a part time course and do it like I did, and keep your job.

Ministry

It's worth thinking about why you chose a degree in automotive and transport design in the first instance. It's a very different career to your current role and won't be available to you without the relevant degree, whereas getting the degree wouldn't stop you from securing a job as a driver or conductor after uni.

Also, a degree will give you access to TOC and other rail organisations' graduate training schemes which aren't available to a non-grad. A degree will open a lot of new doors and keep your existing options available as well.

As for the debt, as a recent graduate myself I can honestly say that my student loan repayments don't bother me - the real dent in my pay is from the amount that the government takes at source in tax and NI, which I'd be paying whether or not I had a degree. Debt in one form or another is virtually unavoidable these days, and student loans are offered on far more favourable terms to most personal loans.

Status
Not open for further replies.