Dispute with SWR (wanting to part pay with RTV, ended up paying nothing)

Discussion in 'Disputes & Prosecutions' started by Adsy125, 8 Apr 2018.

1. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Northern advise you to phone them up if the method of payment was not listed in the options available. As for what happens when you do phone them up is unknown, might try it next time I am delayed by them.
    Sam

2. Adsy125

Adsy125 Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm currently thinking about any response that it might be possible to make to the email. I think I would leave with if it wasn't for the fact SWR said I could've been penalty fared and that they appear to be a bit confused. In an entirely seperate enquiry I asked about using RTVs with a closed ticket office and they said

3. farleigh

farleigh Member

And there is the answer - open one.

4. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Not everyone who travels by rail in the UK has (or wants) a UK bank account.

5. dwaynedibleyuk

dwaynedibleyuk Member

All the people described above are able to open a UK bank account that accepts BACS payments. Foreign nationals who are not living in England excepted.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

And for non UK residents it’d probably be cheaper to allow IBANs than maintain the charade of RTVs just for tourists.

7. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Member

I say abolish RTV’s. Anyone working or on benefits has a bank account. Anyone who hasn’t got a bank account can have a cheque, this can be cashed without a bank account at any branch of the issuing bank or some post offices.

8. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

I'm quite happy with RTVs and I think so are the TOCs - as it guarantees that the money flows back into the industry!

9. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Member

I suspect they are happy with them as many are never ‘cashed’

10. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I suspect cheques will disappear before RTVs. In the original plans, this was the last year that they (cheques) would've been in general use.

11. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

E-vouchers is a quick and nasty fix. It doesn't have as much flexibility, but has the advantage of being redeemable online, which is where the vast majority of cheap Advance fares are purchased, and the more financially minded will be able to rake in associated benefits such as Nectar points and cashback too (the former admittedly not worth that much).

That does still leave a very small section of the population unserved, who can be catered for by one of the remaining niche methods.

12. Adsy125

Adsy125 Member

I've now replied to them now and hopefully with help from yorkie and bb21 SWR will apologize, and maybe give me another RTV :lol:.

13. island

island Established Member

In fact, EEA residents can now open a UK bank account as of last year.

14. Clip

Clip On Moderation

The money had never left the industry in the first place though with an RTV.

Yup and if they dont want that they can open a OnePlus account too

15. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

That souls leaves a not-insignificant number of people who can't (or won't want to) open bank accounts.

16. Bletchleyite

Given that benefits are paid through bank accounts and Basic Bank Accounts and similar are widely available including to children, anyone choosing not to have a bank account is cutting themselves off from many aspects of society by choice.

17. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Not if they are non-EEA citizens in the UK for an extended period (e.g. working on a six month contract in their company's UK office or a student on a short course). Why would they want to open a UK bank account?

18. Jonfun

Jonfun Established Member

If I was living in a foreign country for any significant length of time I'd open a bank account, subject to local laws or restrictions. It's a pain in the backside to try and pay by card on the continent as the amount of places that won't accept Visa or Mastercard is staggering to someone who has always lived in a country where card payments are widely accepted. I was on holiday in the Netherlands recently and established that places are more likely to accept Maestro(?) - I think it was - which I gather the local banks issue.

19. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

For a year, I probably would too. For three months, probably not - especially if my wages were still being paid into my native country bank account. Just withdraw cash at an ATM/Western Union/etc and use it to get a local pre-paid card.

20. Bletchleyite

For three months I'd just pay and withdraw cash as necessary using a credit/debit card.

But does working around this really need an expensive infrastructure of RTVs? Allowing a payment to an IBAN would deal with that in the once in a blue moon that such a person actually did claim.

21. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Member

They can usually pay any amount back onto any credit card, and many debit cards too. So you don't need a bank account, just a card with an international card issuer (e.g. Visa or Mastercard)

22. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Are RTVs actually expensive given that they already exist?

23. Bletchleyite

One assumes there is a need for a clearing house to process them. Unless they're just done "on the side" by whoever does ORCATS.

24. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Given the volume of RTVs in question I suspect that is more than likely the case.

25. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Member

But it’s still a cost.

26. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I suspect it's so small a cost that it's lost in the noise.

27. 35B

35B Member

Aren’t RTVs also used as the mechanism for other forms of travel warrant, so processing is still an issue while they exist?

28. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

Well, one month on from the email, the BACS payment still hasn't appeared in my account. Meanwhile I have received advice that a cheque is on its way for the second claim (despite requesting RTVs !).

29. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You cannot "cash" a cheque issued by a UK bank except in a very few limited circumstances.

UK cheques are printed crossed and endorsed A/C Payee Only or Not Transferable which in the relevant legislation results in them having to be paid into an account in the name specified as the Payee.

30. Adsy125

Adsy125 Member

I have a rather disappointing reply...

Should I talk to Transport Focus or see if I can get a response from a different person, it was the same person who originally responded.

I found it amusing she said thanks for contacting South West Trains, surely the templates would include SWR?