• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused Signal boxes which are still standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I know that Upper Warlingham signalbox was demolished a while back, but there's still some sort of cabin forming a break in the fence on Platform 2 (between the London end and the OD1 banner repeater gantry) which I've always wondered about. It seems to date from the same sort of era as the gantry itself, but it's completely derelict from what I can tell. Does anyone know if this was something to do with signalling equipment, especially given the proportions of the windows overlooking the track, or if it was just a hut for some sort of p-way maintenance function?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robinson102

I really didn't expect this many replies!

Thank you all for your information so far, and any further information that is forthcoming.

This will take a while to form into an organised list, I think...

Henbury Loop

Warmley in South Gloucestershire is very well preserved and open to the public most Saturdays.

Built in 1918, Warmley Signal Box is a listed building which has recently been refurbished.

Warmley signal box sits on the Bristol to Bath Railway Path where the path cuts across the High Street/London Road, Warmley.This means that it has excellent accessibility for walkers, cyclists and drivers.The signal box is steeped in history and centrally placed in the Warmley community which makes it an ideal venue for events. With a small, fenced off garden, the Signal Box has two levels and still has the original mechanisms and levers.The signal box was re-opened in style on 1 September 2013 with a 1918 themed event by Graham Derby, the last signalman to work at the box.

Facilities
Despite being quite small, Warmley signal box has a lot to offer, including;

free car park nearby
garden
toilets nearby
café nearby
Hire information
Warmley signal box is available for hire. This is a fantastic venue with unlimited possibilities. Uses for the signal box include;

community events
business events
community group meetings
theatre productions
a workspace for local businesses
parties
The fence around the signal box is also available for advertising.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/environ...toric-sites-and-monuments/warmley-signal-box/

Mickc1440

Sheffield PSB will remain as it's still the relay room for the area, oh and my office is in it, Brightside box is still standing and another couple from my area retained for local control of their crossings are Dodworth and Shireoaks Station.

randyrippley

Established Member
Hest Bank is I believe now unmanned after the crossing barriers were upgraded a couple of years ago

MrPIC

Whats the deal with old signal boxes? I've noticed the last few days that Harlow Mill and Hackney Downs old boxes (been shut for years!) have lights on inside. Are they used for anything? Or is that just to try and put off anyone thinking they'll get in and trash it?

randyrippley

Established Member
Whats the deal with old signal boxes? I've noticed the last few days that Harlow Mill and Hackney Downs old boxes (been shut for years!) have lights on inside. Are they used for anything? Or is that just to try and put off anyone thinking they'll get in and trash it?

cottaging sites?

TheBigD

Established Member
Lakenheath will be demolished soon... Notice has been posted on the box...

bishdunster

Following the Bournemouth to Weymouth resignalling last yeat I believe none of the boxes have been demolished yet, that would leave Poole, Hamworthy , Wareham ,Wool Dorchester and Weymouth still standing with most still having the frames intact.

Francis

Following the Bournemouth to Weymouth resignalling last yeat I believe none of the boxes have been demolished yet, that would leave Poole, Hamworthy , Wareham ,Wool Dorchester and Weymouth still standing with most still having the frames intact.

I was down there 5 Nov 2015. Hamworthy had just been demolished and Wool had completely gone. Poole was still intact, as were Wareham and Dorchester South. Box at Weymouth was closed a good while ago when electrification was extended from Bournemouth. It was a 1930's or 1950's design. I didn't notice it in the drenching rain that day. Maybe someone else can tell us if it has been demolished or not.

railnerd

Hi.
First post in ages...

Littleworth SB is the only box still standing on the joint line that doesnt serve a purpose.

The remaining boxes are either listed or, like Sleaford North, have electrical supplies from them feeding the level crossing.

I would love to buy Littleworth.

Wondering if anyone knows of any list of disused, but still standing, signal boxes in the UK?

If there isn't such a list, perhaps we could assemble one, if this is practical?

Thanks

Torre (boarded up, up platform)
Torquay (office, down platform)
Murrow West (now a house)
Cheltenham Spa (overgrown, downside, Bristol end of the station)

Deepgreen

Established Member
Hurrah! Betchworth gets another stab at fame - the signal box used to be a part of the station building - on the Dorking-bound platform immediately next to the level crossing. The whole building still stands (used as offices now) therefore the 'box structure remains.

RPM

Established Member
A couple of definites which I don't think have been mentioned so far:

Rye (E. Sussex) - disused, but protected by a grade II listing.
Brading (IOW) - now a heritage centre.

Additionally these ones may still exist/meet the stated criteria but I'm not 100% certain:

Awre Junction (Glos) - was used as a p-way base, later derelict.
Worstead (Norfolk) - privately owned I think.
Maiden Newton (Dorset) - was boarded up last time I saw it.
Chappel & Wakes Colne (Essex) - Grade II listed & preserved, but not completely certain if it was moved from elsewhere.
St Austel (Cornwall) - was certainly still there until relatively recently.

Last edited:

In 2013 26 signal boxes, some of which may well be disused were given Grade2 listed status in a project jointly run by Network Rail and English Heritage. 2 boxes in the North, 5 in the West, 7 in the East, and 12 in the South.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23451290

Two boxes relocated are Exeter West, now at Crewe Heritage Centre, and Kingswear, on the Paignton & Dartmouth steam railway, relocated to the side of the station. But there are many more boxes relocated to Heritage lines.

Last edited:

Rail Ranger

Hale (Greater Manchester) if that has not yet been mentioned. Grade 2 listed (as is the whole station). Closed July 1991.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I should know this, but suddenly realise that I'm not sure - was London Bridge (low level) ever a signal box or always a signalling centre from the outset? If the former...

John Webb

Established Member
I should know this, but suddenly realise that I'm not sure - was London Bridge (low level) ever a signal box or always a signalling centre from the outset? If the former...
The London Bridge box was commissioned in 1975 and was a PSB covering Charing Cross(CX), Cannon Street(CS) and all parts of London Bridge. It was an N-X panel; the very large ground floor was needed to house all the relays concerned with interlocking this complex area. Control of CX and CS took place in 1976.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The bottom half of Weaver Jn Box still exists as a relay room. The bottom half of Norton Bridge Box also still existed last year - will it survive the current trackwork (flyover) & resignalling work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.