• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DM Interview - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WDS2015

I did get through they said they are extremely busy and dates are slowly being filtered out

Guess we just carry on waiting

It's killing me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did you apply for thameslink (bedford - brighton) Im still waiting and in same boat as you, i think the situation as it stands:

the current interviews taken plcace were for Great Northern only as their course is before, once cleared then the company will focus on thameslink interviews i.e bedford to brighton

You can call them up again for an update?

Yes I applied for Bedford or kings cross for GTR

Same boat then

ibrahim9140

Cheers mate. They haven't given me a start date yet - I hope this is just because they are waiting for the medical results :p:roll:

They asked me which depot I applied for and I said both Blackfriars and Charing cross - then they asked if I would prefer Blackfriars and I said yes - but would take either one. They made note of this.

Thanks man, it sure is! :D

Cheers man.

In no particular order - as I was so nervous etc. I cant remember exactly how the questions were asked :p

First thing they asked was what I know about the company.

I told them who the CEO is and about the Thameslink program. About the new trains and expansion to the routes etc.

They also asked me to name a few stations that they call at.

Second question was about my career to date and my duties and responsibilities in each role.

I am from a retail background myself - and recently got into corporate security, which I made sure to point out to them has helped me develop my customer service skills and means I have plenty of experience with dealing with various types of people from different backgrounds etc.

I was asked about how I thought a train driver would turn up for work - i.e. uniform, appearance, hygiene etc. One key thing I said was turning up to work sober and not under the influence of any drugs etc. That was one of the answers they were looking for most.

I was also asked my interests and hobbies etc - with each answer they wanted me to elaborate. I said I like the theatre - they asked what plays Ive seen.

I said I liked reading they asked which books I'm currently reading.

I said I like football they asked which team I support. And so on.

They asked me about moving off on an uphill gradient after I had been waiting at a red signal. I explained how I would do it, which was fine but one key thing I missed at first was saying I would wait until the signal turned to green - which is obviously but also easy to forget to say.

They asked the same thing but for going downhill.

I was asked about what kinds of announcements the driver would be expected to make.

What I would do if my car broke down on my way to work.

Who I would inform if I was prescribed medication by my doctor.

Gave an example of a time when it was essential to maintain a high level of concentration and how I managed to stay focused on not get distracted.

A time when I had to follow rules and procedures and why I thought the rules were in place etc.

Those two were pretty much what I said in the MMI.

The most important question, which they made sure to point out was why do I want to be a train driver.

The last part were a few questions about my notice period for my current job, if I would be happy to work shifts, bank hols and weekends.

Then they asked if I had any questions for them.

And that was pretty much it.

I have to saw, it was one of the most relaxed interviews I have ever had. The people were really nice and friendly and showed that they were there to help and not try to trip me up or ask trick questions etc.

Thanks man that is very much detail information. Appreciate for all this effort.

EazyGuy

I did get through they said they are extremely busy and dates are slowly being filtered out

Guess we just carry on waiting

It's killing me

Yes I applied for Bedford or kings cross for GTR

Same boat then

Was there a place on the GTR form where you specified which depot you were applyng for? I saw a bit asking for your nearest station....

l0c0m0t1ve

Was there a place on the GTR form where you specified which depot you were applyng for? I saw a bit asking for your nearest station....

If I remember correctly, each vacancy stated the depot it was actually for. I think I just applied for both the ones that were actually advertised at the time.

WDS2015

Same here when I applied I had to apply twice one for each station.
It specified on the vacancy and you had to be within an hour from that station

ibrahim9140

What do you think the best way to put it. When they ask you why would you want to be train driver?

332 > 444

I thought it was nearest home station they were talking about, I put my local station....oops!

EazyGuy

Excellent job!! Congrats. May I ask when you applied and what your general background is? You got my dream job and depot :D

l0c0m0t1ve

Excellent job!! Congrats. May I ask when you applied and what your general background is? You got my dream job and depot :D

Cheers!

I Applied on Feb 9th - got a respose on the 13th. I did stage one assessment on Feb 26th and Stage 2 on March 12th.

After I found out I passed staged two it took 5 weeks for me to get a letter about the DM interview!

My background has been mainly in customer service roles until recently. I am currently a mobile security supervisor - I suppose that has helped - with me driving from place to place all over London and filling out forms etc. The shifts are 12 hours and I usually do 9 in a row then have 5 days off.

I made sure I pointed this out in the interview when they asked me if I was prepared to do shift work!

WDS2015

I got my letter today for my driver manager interview. Chuffed to finally have a date.
Time for a research refresher I think

Hoody

Can I ask a question of those that have passed the DM interview, I'm curious as to what the medical involves and how long it takes, can anyone shed any light on it for me.

Cheers

l0c0m0t1ve

Can I ask a question of those that have passed the DM interview, I'm curious as to what the medical involves and how long it takes, can anyone shed any light on it for me.

Cheers

Mine is not until the 12th but there is a post on here where people have said what's involved.

inthearea

Hi,

You wee in a pot - drugs test.
Im sure i did a breathalyzer,
Hearing Test - plays noises and you press a button,
Simple eye test read a card thing,
An ECG
Height & Weight chart

Think thats everything

l0c0m0t1ve

Hi,

You wee in a pot - drugs test.
Im sure i did a breathalyzer,
Hearing Test - plays noises and you press a button,
Simple eye test read a card thing,
An ECG
Height & Weight chart

Think thats everything

Cheers for that info. I feel more relaxed now, slightly! :p

WeGoAgain

I also advise arriving 15 - 30 minutes early so that you can take your time filling out the Pre Medical forms.

The Nurses would like to see you at the booked time on your appointment letter.

Good luck to all.

l0c0m0t1ve

I also advise arriving 15 - 30 minutes early so that you can take your time filling out the Pre Medical forms.

The Nurses would like to see you at the booked time on your appointment letter.

Good luck to all.

Ahh that's something I didnt think about! I usually arrive early anyway but just because I'm weird :p

HRD

Cheers mate. They haven't given me a start date yet - I hope this is just because they are waiting for the medical results :p:roll:

They asked me which depot I applied for and I said both Blackfriars and Charing cross - then they asked if I would prefer Blackfriars and I said yes - but would take either one. They made note of this.

Thanks man, it sure is! :D

Cheers man.

In no particular order - as I was so nervous etc. I cant remember exactly how the questions were asked :p

First thing they asked was what I know about the company.

I told them who the CEO is and about the Thameslink program. About the new trains and expansion to the routes etc.

They also asked me to name a few stations that they call at.

Second question was about my career to date and my duties and responsibilities in each role.

I am from a retail background myself - and recently got into corporate security, which I made sure to point out to them has helped me develop my customer service skills and means I have plenty of experience with dealing with various types of people from different backgrounds etc.

I was asked about how I thought a train driver would turn up for work - i.e. uniform, appearance, hygiene etc. One key thing I said was turning up to work sober and not under the influence of any drugs etc. That was one of the answers they were looking for most.

I was also asked my interests and hobbies etc - with each answer they wanted me to elaborate. I said I like the theatre - they asked what plays Ive seen.

I said I liked reading they asked which books I'm currently reading.

I said I like football they asked which team I support. And so on.

They asked me about moving off on an uphill gradient after I had been waiting at a red signal. I explained how I would do it, which was fine but one key thing I missed at first was saying I would wait until the signal turned to green - which is obviously but also easy to forget to say.

They asked the same thing but for going downhill.

I was asked about what kinds of announcements the driver would be expected to make.

What I would do if my car broke down on my way to work.

Who I would inform if I was prescribed medication by my doctor.

Gave an example of a time when it was essential to maintain a high level of concentration and how I managed to stay focused on not get distracted.

A time when I had to follow rules and procedures and why I thought the rules were in place etc.

Those two were pretty much what I said in the MMI.

The most important question, which they made sure to point out was why do I want to be a train driver.

The last part were a few questions about my notice period for my current job, if I would be happy to work shifts, bank hols and weekends.

Then they asked if I had any questions for them.

And that was pretty much it.

I have to saw, it was one of the most relaxed interviews I have ever had. The people were really nice and friendly and showed that they were there to help and not try to trip me up or ask trick questions etc.

This was basically my interview too... I received a call yesterday to say I was successful and my medical is booked for 14th! I didn't know the answer to the gradient question, then they likened it to starting a car but as I don't drive I couldn't use that experience either. But they walked me through it... and obv I was okay as I passed...

traintraining

This was basically my interview too... I received a call yesterday to say I was successful and my medical is booked for 14th! I didn't know the answer to the gradient question, then they likened it to starting a car but as I don't drive I couldn't use that experience either. But they walked me through it... and obv I was okay as I passed...

Congratulations HRD! when was your interview?

l0c0m0t1ve

Nice one! Cant wait to get the medical over with - 2 days to go!

All the best to you!

Did they tell you when and which depot you would start after you pass the medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.