• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do trainspotters lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdwatcher

Hi to all

Despite the title, this isn't a wind-up thread, it's a genuine request for information.

My hobby is bird-watching, and there is often a lot of controversy about whether someone has actually seen the birds that they claim to have seen. This may be down to bad ID skills, over-optimism or downright lying, and is generally known as "stringing". On a forum today, when this was being discussed, someone asked the following question:

"I find the whole "intentional stringing" thing kind of amusing. I mean, birding is great fun and all that, but let´s face it, it´s not particularly important in the great scheme of things. I don´t understand why anyone would need to acquire fame/notoriety in such an inconsequential activity. Why not pretend you´ve invented a cure for malaria, or something? I wonder if Trainspotters "do" stringing....pretend they´ve seen rare engines that weren´t there?"

So - over to you experts. Do trainspotters indulge in "stringing?"

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
I don't believe anyone I know who is into the railways has lied, I don't think people need to lie about seeing engines, it's really not that important.

mumrar

Established Member
In my younger days (pre teenager) I collected numbers and was warned off 'fudging', whereby someone claims to have spotted a loco they clearly have not. Sometimes accusations can stem from not seeing something properly and mis-identifying, but I'm of the same mind. If you make your hobby to see all the trains, what's the point in lying to complete the task early?

me123

Established Member
It's a lot harder to lie in trainspotting, though. You've only got one 320301, only one 390032 and only one 43132. If you lie about it, there's a chance someone else would see it elsewhere on a different diagram, or know about its workings that day.

On the other hand, birdwatching is slightly easier to fake; anyone could say that they saw a bluetit in their garden for example, and no one would suspect a lie.

ailsa

The land of crop circles and white horses
A friend of mine (who isn't up on modern units) swore blind that he'd had a 166 from Bath to Trowbridge. I checked up to see what had ran, just in case, and it was actually a 159. So not lying as such, but incorrect information due to mistaken identity.

birdwatcher

Thanks all, this is interesting! So far, it seems that trainspotters are an honest lot, partly because there's no point in lying, partly because it's too easy to get caught out, but people do make honest mistakes.

Keep your thoughts coming, so that I can report back!

Established Member
Yup, people lie about haulage, sightage, what locos are working what (eg. somone in Birmingham says 37408 is on the train but someone in Prestatyn says its 37419 and it turns out to be 37425) or someone says to someone thay dont like oh yeah --winning loco-- is on xxxx, Mr X goes for it and it turns out to be a duff, Mr Z laughs Mr X is not amused.

birdwatcher

Yup, people lie about haulage, sightage, what locos are working what (eg. somone in Birmingham says 37408 is on the train but someone in Prestatyn says its 37419 and it turns out to be 37425) or someone says to someone thay dont like oh yeah --winning loco-- is on xxxx, Mr X goes for it and it turns out to be a duff, Mr Z laughs Mr X is not amused.

Fantastic! That sounds horribly like stringing

Just as a different view on this I don’t think the activity involved really matters. If you get a liar in life its not because that person is a rail enthusiast, Bird spotter or even a stamp collector its because he is a liar and will be at work and play.

Established Member
Doesnt really happen anymore due to the small amount of passenger loco workings but has happened in the past

Dai.

Established Member
If anything, rail enthusiasts argue more than they do lie.

I've seen many an argument of rail enthusiasts, on here and on my travels!

Bittern

Established Member
Sometimes the trains themselves lie!

"The next stop is Possilpark & Parkhouse." when it's actually Maryhill!

Established Member
Sometimes the trains themselves lie!

"The next stop is Possilpark & Parkhouse." when it's actually Maryhill!

Funny one I had was on a 350 to Liverpool as we left new street I got "the next station is Birmingham new street" and a short time after I got "this train has terminated"

terminating on a farm....yipee

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Funny one I had was on a 350 to Liverpool as we left new street I got "the next station is Birmingham new street" and a short time after I got "this train has terminated"

terminating on a farm....yipee

Well it did say the next station was New St!!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
We get a lot of twitchers where I live, looking for black grouse,must say
they have some expensive gear, I have an interest in railways, not a spotter
so I presume the ANAs will tell you. In early May the twitchers arrive from 3.30 a.m.

I live next door to Coed http://www.coedllandegla.com/NetsiteCMS/pageid/30/newsarticleid/1/News.html

Dilger was here last year , on full RSPB expenses of course

Last edited:

Shrub Hill

I am afraid you have it in all walks of life, fish are miraculously a couple of lb heavier, the golf round was a couple less when you get in the bar and the women in the pub is only a size 12 , honest

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
But rail enthusiasts are a long way from the worst for arguments :lol:

All I can say to that is try any Welsh Rugby Forum on a Sunday morning after we lose an international! Then you'll see proper arguing!

mrcheek

Established Member
trainspotters fall into 2 categories.
1. the complete fantasist, who has no life whatsoever, and makes up stories about anything and everything.
2. Aspies, who in most cases are actually completely incapable of telling lies.

Established Member
Can probably add to that list:

3) The juvenile trainspotter, usually writes in txt speek, uses funny phrases like "my lordzzz" and regulalry, and often boasts about seeing that "hellfire" 142 or 43 with it's monster clag and three tone horn, when often noting that exciting has happened that day.

asylumxl

Established Member
If anything, rail enthusiasts argue more than they do lie.

I've seen many an argument of rail enthusiasts, on here and on my travels!

Domestic violence between Rail Enthusiasts costs the NHS millions each year. If Rail Enthusiasts were more peaceful, there would be more money to improve the rail network ;).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You shouldn't ask trainspotters if they lie -
If they don't, they'll always tell the truth, so they'll be honest in answering your question and will say "no, we don't lie".
If they do, if they always lie, then they'll be dishonest in answering your question and will lie, saying "no, we don't lie".

So you're none the wiser.

You could try asking: Do trainspotters lie SOMETIMES?.
But you can work it out, and if you do, you'll still be no wiser.

Or you could try asking non-trainspotters if trainspotters lie.
But how would they know other than by having asked trainspotters (as above).

You're stummped.
There IS a solution by asking one trainspotter to tell you what answer they think their colleague trainspotter will give to a specific question - by which time you're probably half way to a philiosphy degree

tbtc

Veteran Member
One form of lying I've noticed on public transport forums is the amazing loadings that trains/ buses have. You'll have someone claim that their favourite service is often a standing load rather than a dozen passengers on a good day.

Maybe its just coincidence, but I've seen a lot of posts along the line of "Why are they withdrawing this service - there's at least a hundred passengers on every trip"...

TDK

Established Member

that sounds extremely childish
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
trainspotters fall into 2 categories.
1. the complete fantasist, who has no life whatsoever, and makes up stories about anything and everything.
2. Aspies, who in most cases are actually completely incapable of telling lies.

I honestly think that some lie about their haulage and the hours they have travelled. One on here quoted he had been hauled more than me and I drive the things every day, I worked out if his fact were true it would have cost a lot more money that a 15yr old could afford in normal circumstances. You will find that in any hobby like train spotting, plane spotting bird watching you are always going to get folks who are not truthful just to make out they are something they are not, shame really because the only people they are cheating are themselves.

mezdup

It's a lot harder to lie in trainspotting, though. You've only got one 320301, only one 390032 and only one 43132. If you lie about it, there's a chance someone else would see it elsewhere on a different diagram, or know about its workings that day.

On the other hand, birdwatching is slightly easier to fake; anyone could say that they saw a bluetit in their garden for example, and no one would suspect a lie.

Unless the Military are using their trains perhaps and there is initially no forecast or actuality of record of it? - Just a thought!

Bittern

Established Member
Two trains lied to me today!

A 318 - "The next stop is Argyle Street". No, the next stop is Blantyre.

A 170 - "The next stop is Alloa". No, this is Alloa...

ailsa

The land of crop circles and white horses
At Oxford some time in the mid-90s.

"Platform 1 for the blah-de-blah train to Reading. Platform 1 for Reading"

Cue one class 165 traversing the points at the north end of the station far too quickly, into the bay platform, platform 3. It stops just short of the buffer-stop, the doors open, scared and dazed passengers start disembarking.

A robot voice on board the train says - "This train has terminated, all change please, all change" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.