• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster or Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdale1

As a train enthusiast I have the choice of 5 hours on Doncaster station or travelling on to Hull for a short stay of about 1 hour, both journeys leaving and returning from Kings Cross in midweek.Can anyone advise which they would choose and is there much to see on the journey from Doncaster to Hull.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's plenty of stuff through Donny, but 5 hours may be a bit too long :D Hull station is all passenger trains to Hull, doubt any freignt in view from the station.

scotsman

Established Member
What a choice! 5 hours is way too long to spend in Donny by yourself, and the town isn't much. However, despite the reputation, Hull has quite a few nice parts. I'd be tempted to say Hull.

Or, go to Donny and then get a train to Leeds or York!

mrcheek

Established Member
If youre into freight workings, it has toi be Doncaster. If you feel you can manage 5 hours. Hull is one of the least attractive places in the entire country.

Isnt there any way you can go to York instead of Hull?

gdale1

Yes I am into freight and the reason I can only travel onto Hull is because I am taking advantage of the club 55 offer available on Hull services only.

Bighat

Yes I am into freight and the reason I can only travel onto Hull is because I am taking advantage of the club 55 offer available on Hull services only.

As someone has already said, Hull only has passenger traffic, from the south, the west and local stuff from the north.

However, a while spent at Hessle or Brough might yield a few of the freights to or from the Docks at Hull. The line departs from the main lines about two miles east of Hull Paragon Station, and loops around the city to the north, coming back towards the docks over the Heddon Road.

Have no idea how much freight you would see, but if you get bored at Donny may be worth a quick visit.

PM Max (admin), he lives close by and may be able to enlighten you.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Doncaster is a much better place to go you get locals, expresses, lots of freight you've got the works behind you and fast down middle including grand central HST's with valentas so doncaster is a much better place to go theres a massive shopping centre attatched to it with food court as well. If you feel you can manage 5 hours then defnitely doncaster

scotsman

Established Member

Pay the extra fare £11.70 from Donny to York or £9.odd if you want don't mind going from Selby.

scotsman

Established Member
Selby or Brough?

I saw Selby in 40 mins. Nothing of note. Nice wee town, but it's not dissimilar to any other high street in the country. Not much else of note. Plus we nearly missed our train after getting lost down a wee alley.

John @ home

Established Member
the reason I can only travel onto Hull is because I am taking advantage of the club 55 offer available on Hull services only.
You can also reach York via Selby and Leeds. Your ticket would be routed HT & TPE. There appears to be no additional cost.

rail-britain

Established Member
I agree, Doncaster wins hands down if you are wanting to see variety
I spent 5 hours there a few weeks ago, and that was long enough for me
It started to rain after about 3 hours, but being lunch time I went to the nearby shopping centre, on returning to the station the rain had stopped

Doncaster : 26 August 2010

When I was younger the Kings Cross - Leeds service had just swapped over to to InterCity 225s and it was about the same length of time I spent there

Last edited:

Established Member
Quite a mix at Colton Junction today - within a few hours there were 4 coals, 1 light engine, southbound Freightliner containers and a DB 66 heading north from the Leeds line with a 47,31 and Baby Deltic if I saw right. So you should have plenty to see at either Doncaster or York (although vast majority goes through the avoider).

jimrbrobinson

Personally Doncaster would be my choice. Especially for variety if photting. As many have said though five hours is a long time. Perhaps a run across to York would be an idea and shouldn't cost much. :D

PS That wasn't the baby deltic off Kernowfem's haunting thread was it. I heard it had escaped! :lol:

Established Member
Someone's been smoking something if they've seen a baby deltic at Colton Junction!

I've just realised what I wrote :oops:

Something that resembled a Deltic anyway. Caught me off guard, nearly crapped myself when I saw it in the rear view mirror.

Tom B

Established Member
Doncaster is a much better place to go you get locals, expresses, lots of freight you've got the works behind you and fast down middle including grand central HST's with valentas so doncaster is a much better place to go theres a massive shopping centre attatched to it with food court as well. If you feel you can manage 5 hours then defnitely doncaster

Stuff the food court - go to the Frenchgate Cafe, then to the Cooplands and buy various sweet goodness for the journey back!

Established Member
Stuff the food court - go to the Frenchgate Cafe, then to the Cooplands and buy various sweet goodness for the journey back!

Cooplands is evil, they do the best mince pies at Christmas, yet they seem to be available earlier and earlier every year.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cooplands is evil, they do the best mince pies at Christmas, yet they seem to be available earlier and earlier every year.

Beware, the Cooplands in Doncaster/South Yorkshire is different to the one in York/Hull - I find the Hull one to be much better on the whole!

Regarding things to see, I'd say 5 hours is a very long time to be in Doncaster, but on the other hand Hull station is pretty boring. You'd be lucky to see anything apart from 158s, 170s, 180s and 185s. If you want to head down the Hull line and want something a bit more interesting, get off at Hessle. Here you'll see all the freight heading to the docks. You can also marvel at the mighty Humber Bridge, still one of the longest single span suspension bridges in the world. The town is a ten minute walk from the station and has a wide selection of good cafes and sandwich shops.

If you decide to stay in Doncaster, I can confirm that the Frenchgate is very uninspiring food-wise. Go for a walk to the brilliant market, where you'll find a brilliant selection of bakeries and delis.

Soupdragon

If your into freight and able to avail yourself of the Club 55 offer from First... why not take a trip down the Cleethorpes line to Barnetby? Freight aplenty and semaphore heaven (for those that are into that sort of thing)

96tommy

Quite a mix at Colton Junction today - within a few hours there were 4 coals, 1 light engine, southbound Freightliner containers and a DB 66 heading north from the Leeds line with a 47,31 and Baby Deltic if I saw right. So you should have plenty to see at either Doncaster or York (although vast majority goes through the avoider).

I think the 47 and 31 were heading to the NYMR Diesel Gala.

If I had the choice I would definately choose Doncaster if your interetsed in Freight. I spent nearly 8 hours there on Saturday 19th June and saw plenty. In the summer holidays I went twice each for around 2 hours.

gdale1

Thanks for all the advice I think ive decided on Doncaster but just 1 more question, does it make much difference which day I go?

96tommy

The best dyas are weekdays but if you go on a Saturday you get loads of light engine movements, convoys, and double headers. I don't think there is many on a Sunday. I went for 2 hours not long ago and not a single freight came through

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
i would choose hull :D

Why!? I have nothing against Hull, I like it I do go to Uni there after all! But to spend 5 hours there it would be so boring after an hour or so. All you get to see is 158s, 170s, 180s, 185s and maybe a HST if your there early/late enough. At Doncaster there would be much more variety of passenger stock, as well as freight and also the works yard to have a look at.

All in all, go to Doncaster would be my advice.

4SRKT

Established Member
Get a train from Donny to Hessle, then walk over the Humber Bridge, take the train from Barton to Habrough and return to Donny that way.

Hull is not one of the least attractive places in the country BTW, as someone claimed upthread. It has some seriously splendid Victorian architecture (not least the north side of Alfred Gelder Street, which is just one enormous long building, presumably once a shipping office of some kind). Near the Wilberforce Museum (interesting in its own right and free) is a beautiful square of tall buildings with Dutch gables, dominated by an enormous church. If you were transported there in a teleporter you would think you were in Haarlem or Leiden or somewhere. The city has some of the most attrative pubs I've ever seen. Tiny little snug places, with exquisite tile work on the outside, often reached down little lanes that are even better than those in York because they aren't sanitised for tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.