• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
An update for the GWR list - Drivers - soon to be Worcester Shrub Hill

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StaffsPM1

Well give me some time to think about how best to do this and I may well start something up... I can start with SWR where I work at present and then LM (where I am about to work)

387star

On Moderation
What does Horsham southern depot sign? As far as Portsmouth or bognor only

Uplinker

A couple of quick questions from a total beginner at all things train related. Presumably a driver depot is like a driver's 'office', where they report for duty? and What is the significance of the signing on points mentioned in this thread?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The depot is your normal place of starting work, but sometimes there may be local agreements that allow you to sign on for duty at other locations.

For example if a Willesden Jn driver is doing a turn on the Gospel Oak - Barking line, they can sign on at Gospel Oak and don't need to go to Willesden and back just to sign on.

380gk

On Scotrail, on-Train Ticket Examiners in DOO land are based at Ayr, Gourock, Glasgow Central, Motherwell, Bathgate, Airdrie, Dalmuir and Helensburgh. That list may grow as technologies with remote booking on and better machines, etc, improves.

Edinburgh also has some part time ticket examiners who assist on busy Conductor operated services.

dex

I note Fratton in the GWR as well as SWR list. Could someone kindly positively confirm that this is correct, as I've also heard it's only SWR? Thanks in anticipation.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I note Fratton in the GWR as well as SWR list. Could someone kindly positively confirm that this is correct, as I've also heard it's only SWR? Thanks in anticipation.
It's positively true - relatively small by comparison but it is there.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Does anyone have a reasonably knowledge about which routes are signed by guards and drivers at each depot for East Midlands Trains?

wanabedriver

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some information on routes and traction sighned by Chiltern drivers at Stourbridge Junction depot. Any info will be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I believe they sign the Chiltern Mainline from Kidderminster to Marylebone, the Met Line from Aylesbury to Marylebone and Stourbridge Depot.

They are qualified to drive classes 68, 165 & 168

Tomnick

Established Member
Does anyone have a reasonably knowledge about which routes are signed by guards and drivers at each depot for East Midlands Trains?
Local side, driver depots at Nottingham, Derby (ex-MML depot but has some local work), Lincoln, Boston and Norwich, as you suggested in the other thread. Mainline side is just Derby and St.Pancras.

Nottingham, dependant on link, go everywhere on the local network except Doncaster and Grimsby.

Local side at Derby sign Crewe, Matlock and Nottingham. Not sure whether they have any booked 'Ivanhoe' work to Leicester but they sign it for the London work. Some also sign Lincoln but I don't think they have any work other than the twice-daily London train.

Lincoln sign Doncaster, Grimsby, Peterborough via Joint Line and Leicester via Nottingham.

Boston sign Skegness, Nottingham, Lincoln via Joint Line or via Nottingham/Newark and possibly Grimsby and Doncaster.

Norwich sign to Nottingham via Grantham or via Oakham, and Nottingham - Leicester.

I think that's broadly everything, for drivers on the local side at least. I know guards at some depots do sign a bit more. Open to correction!

Hi...

Would anyone be able to shed any light on what routes (drivers) are signed out of Basingstoke for SWR?

Thanks in advance

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hi...

Would anyone be able to shed any light on what routes (drivers) are signed out of Basingstoke for SWR?

Thanks in advance

Waterloo - Southampton Central
Eastleigh - Portsmouth Harbour
St Denys - Fareham
Pirbright Jn - Alton
Waterloo (Windsor side) - Byfleet Jn via Hounslow/Richmond.
Barton Mill/Long Valley/Down Yard sidings (Basingstoke)
Possibly Basingstoke - Salisbury, Woking-Guildford and via East Putney as well

Waterloo - Southampton Central
Eastleigh - Portsmouth Harbour
St Denys - Fareham
Pirbright Jn - Alton
Waterloo (Windsor side) - Byfleet Jn via Hounslow/Richmond.
Barton Mill/Long Valley/Down Yard sidings (Basingstoke)
Possibly Basingstoke - Salisbury, Woking-Guildford and via East Putney as well

Many thanks!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Somewhat late to this thread but I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the omission from the list of Northern's depot at Buxton! Also Harrogate, last I heard, is guards only (all 12 of them!) but with the expansion of services to Leeds could well be in line for an increase.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Somewhat late to this thread but I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the omission from the list of Northern's depot at Buxton! Also Harrogate, last I heard, is guards only (all 12 of them!) but with the expansion of services to Leeds could well be in line for an increase.
Edited in - thanks

Shrimper

Still a driver depot unless it's been abolished since October - but it is a small depot (only 7 M-F jobs prior to the October TT changes).

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Still a driver depot unless it's been abolished since October - but it is a small depot (only 7 M-F jobs prior to the October TT changes).

Thanks for the correction. I obviously got the wrong impression from someone. Amazing that such a small establishment has been deemed worthwhile retaining but with expanded services coming fairly soon it should be on a more solid footing.

dex

Horsham station is served by Metro (SN3), Redhill (SN5) and Mainline West (SN6) routes according to SR route map.
Can anyone tell me whether Horsham depot signs drivers for all these routes, and if not then which?

westcoaster

Established Member
Horsham station is served by Metro (SN3), Redhill (SN5) and Mainline West (SN6) routes according to SR route map.
Can anyone tell me whether Horsham depot signs drivers for all these routes, and if not then which?
They sign all of these london both ways, and down to prtsmouth. Depot is being split with around half moving to thameslink.

Status
Not open for further replies.