• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I am due to start as a trainee driver in June & have been sent the uniform requisition form. You are given a choice of safety shoes/boots you can order. They selection would appear to be made by Arco & you can choose between either shoes & boots(not both). I was wondering what those who have experience of working in the job would choose. I can see the advantage of the boots if having to walk trackside in snow or mud but shoes make more sense in summer. Do some drivers just order their own from other safety gear catalogues? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Slip on loafers for 455Driver.

To be honest think about what you would be more comfortable in all year round but personally I would tell you to go for the boots. The shoes are just uncomfortable to me round the ankle.

Vicpaul

They're generally of poorish quality and will ruin your feet either way.

I fork out for my own but comfort is more important to me

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thinking about it traction training would start in winter so boots make more sense. I can always buy my own shoes. Has anyone found any suppliers who are particularly good?

Withnailandi

Buy your own DM's, it took 2 months to break my railway shoes in and my feet are ruined now.

BromleyBoi

They're generally of poorish quality and will ruin your feet either way.

I fork out for my own but comfort is more important to me

I can testify to this, I lasted 2 weeks in the uniform issue ones and they were just killing my feet so bought my own ones.

TheEdge

Established Member
I didn't even bother selecting company shoes. Spent my own money on a decent pair of shoes

Minilad

Established Member
I bought my own pair of DM boots. Much prefer boots to shoes for the work environment. More comfortable and better ankle support for walking on ballast

Red18

Wore my company supplied Trojan safety shoes for the first time today. I've got sore feet now where the toe cap insert has been rubbing.
I've just ordered myself some DM Boots. :)

RPM

Established Member
We get given tokens and can therefore chose our own footwear up to a certain value. The stipulation is they must be black shoes or boots with a non-slip sole.
I always go for boots as I have a greater than average propensity to twist my ankle, especially when walking on ballast.:oops:

Withnailandi

Mine are Trojan. Scared of getting a new pair. Did my PTS in them and was nearly in tears, would've rather done it bare foot.

Latecomer

safety boots uk have a pretty comprehensive range. The three types of work issue ones I've tried all had either thin heel areas or the cushioning foam wore out literally in weeks.

Personally I prefer shoes over boots and the lighter the better but I spend relatively little time on ballast.

TDK

Established Member
I have had a pair of toesavers boots for 2 years now and they are the best I have had in 15 years on the railway, no aching feet, blisters or sore feet and I do a lot of walking on ballast and platforms on our ferry turn I can walk up to 8 miles plus a night in them.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Could someone confirm the exact requirements for a drivers footware? Or does it vary from one TOC to another? Thanks

DIESELPOWER

Group Standards require that train crew wear safety boots/shoes, ie :- with steel toe cap and steel midsoles, especially when walking on ballast.Any injury incurred when not wearing safety footwear will not be covered with the company insurance.

driver9000

Established Member
Group Standards require that train crew wear safety boots/shoes, ie :- with steel toe cap and steel midsoles, especially when walking on ballast.Any injury incurred when not wearing safety footwear will not be covered with the company insurance.

Steel toecaps aren't required at my company. All that is required is that they are safety shoes with a non slip sole. I find the company issue shoes perfectly acceptable to wear and my last pair of Trojan shoes were comfortable. I don't see the need to dig into my own pockets for workwear each to their own really.

ert47

Currently using my company supplied Trojan boots. As I usually wear converse, it took a while to get used to them (getting up stairs (in a hurry) were a bit of an effort :lol:).
After a few weeks wearing them, I started having some lower back pain, put some insoles in and it pretty much solved it.

The Trojan issued shoes are by far the worst pair of shoes I have ever worn. The soles feel like they have been chiseled from stone, only stone would be more comfortable. Buy your own would be my advice, whatever the cost it is worth it to keep your feet in one piece.

KT530

I couldn't get on with my company-issued DMs, so I bought my own Safety Trainers. Still have steel toe, conform to railway standards and look smart (black), but are much more comfortable. You are, after all, going to spend many hours in them!

plastictaffy

Nope, toe caps are not required.

Far as I'm aware, my TOC insists on steel toe cap in all safety critical roles. Some drivers abuse it, mind, and just wear black shoes, or even black trainers in one or two cases.

I had shoes the first time and boots the second time. The boots are marginally better quality. Next time I'll buy my own, though.

LowLevel

Established Member
My company issue ones are reasonable quality DM safety shoes - they're a £70 odd pair.

I didn't realise till I asked but they do have a range of choices you can pick from as well so it's worth enquiring - the other ones they give out are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.