• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essan

Felt it here in Evesham :)

Edit to add: no doubt GW will use this as an excuse for all next weeks cancellations on the Cotswold Line ........ :D

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
North East Coast reporting in and confirming that the situation is normal and life continues much as before. No signs of shaking earth have been felt.

Dentonian

Established Member
I didn't feel anything, but my brother felt it just east of Manchester about 1445hrs. Seems a bit widespread given a report it was only 4.8 (ish) on the Richter Scale.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder what was the fault line involved?

Probably the Tawe Valley Disturbance, being the biggest fault in the area?

http://www.fforestfawrgeopark.org.u...s-and-folds/geological-faults-in-the-geopark/

A zone of faults and folds extending for dozens of kilometres across country NE-wards from Swansea Bay up the valley of the Tawe. It is sometimes referred to as the Swansea Valley Disturbance. It continues beyond Cribarth as the Cribarth Disturbance as far as Brecon and beyond. It is a ‘Caledonoid’ structure.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There was a minor tremor about 10 years ago in Barnsley, which I felt as I sat on the loo at my parents house near Denby Dale (I hasten to add, my location at the time was not related to the seismic activity!). It also woke the cat up (the tremor, not the toilet use!) and caused her to freak out for the next few hours!

J-2739

Established Member
There was a minor tremor about 10 years ago in Barnsley, which I felt as I sat on the loo at my parents house near Denby Dale (I hasten to add, my location at the time was not related to the seismic activity!). It also woke the cat up (the tremor, not the toilet use!) and caused her to freak out for the next few hours!

Oh well, an earthquake would make a massive improvement to Barnsley anyway...;)

alxndr

Established Member
Happened around the same time as my alarm clock went off (having been on nights). I briefly wondered if the floor was falling down or if the neighbour was leaping about, and then promptly decided I much preferred being asleep.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
They occur quite regularly in the area where we reside, courtesy of DB Cargo, GB Railfreight, Freightliner etc. ;)

Howardh

Established Member
What time did it occur? I'm asking because I have my external drive perched on a narrow ledge (and have had it there for years without problem) but it fell off all of it's own accord around or just before midnight - so if that's when the quake was that explains it. The drive survived the fall of about 6"!!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
What time did it occur? I'm asking because I have my external drive perched on a narrow ledge (and have had it there for years without problem) but it fell off all of it's own accord around or just before midnight - so if that's when the quake was that explains it. The drive survived the fall of about 6"!!

Around 14:30ish yesterday apparently.

najaB

Veteran Member
Seems a bit widespread given a report it was only 4.8 (ish) on the Richter Scale
That's why scientists don't use the Richter Scale anymore, it isn't a good measure of the total amount of energy released in an earthquake.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm about 60 miles away from the epicentre, and didn't feel a thing - nor did I even know anything about it until later on that evening!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Was in Cardiff to watch the football - didn't feel a thing. But a friend in Bath was woken up by it. Weird how that works!

Dentonian

Established Member
Was in Cardiff to watch the football - didn't feel a thing. But a friend in Bath was woken up by it. Weird how that works!

I think it depends on exactly where you are and what you were doing. I didn't feel a thing, but was nowhere near ground level. Depending on exactly when it was, I was probably on the move as well. Its funny how people recall the "small one in Lincolnshire" from 2008, this woke me up and I thought my shelves were falling over. It seemed to go on for a good 15-20 seconds, and initial thoughts were that he epicentre were the old mine working close to the Etihad, barely 2 miles from me as the crow flies. There was an aftershock, which was shown shaking the Corrie set whilst filming the next day.

Howardh

Established Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Llŷn_Peninsula_earthquake is one I remember partcularly well. I was sat in the canteen when it struck, and the tables shook quite violently although there was no damage. I turned to my mate and said 5.2; it turned out to be 5.4 so I wasn't far out. The epicenter was about 100 miles away from me, so would have been really felt closer, indeed the article reports some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.