• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichW1

Anyone know when (or if) the new east coast livery repaint of 91's sets is due to be completed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Anyone know when (or if) the new east coast livery repaint of 91's sets is due to be completed?

I would suspect it will be about May 2012 judging by how quickly it is taken them to get done at the moment. Not that I am saying they are going slowly, it takes as long as it takes!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
wonder if the NX-livery 91 will get the white-bits "filled in"?

rail-britain

Established Member
It's taken them over 6 months do complete just six locos and three buffets
If you assume the three buffets are three rakes, at the current rate it will be some time in 2016

Failed Unit

Established Member
It's taken them over 6 months do complete just six locos and three buffets
If you assume the three buffets are three rakes, at the current rate it will be some time in 2016

? - there are at least 3 full sets complete and in nearly complete in Doncaster - not just buffets.

rail-britain

Established Member
? - there are at least 3 full sets complete and in nearly complete in Doncaster - not just buffets.
Yes, and each complete set has a buffet -> 3 buffets pretty much means 3 sets, that was the calculation I used
Equally, there are 3 DVTs which equates to the same

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just seemed strange to count buffets rather than sets. I thought you were getting confused with the coach k conversion that is required for Eureka. Which is a separate program. Some buffets & coach k will return in blue.

silentone

Not sure where the Coack K conversion is taking place, only the Catering Vehicles have been removed for refurb. The Coach K refit may actually be done at the depot!

silentone

For Eureka!'s new onboard services the kitchens are all being modified to allow a greater number of meals be cooked onboard. All of the crockery and cutlery will also be removed from the train (dirty) and replaced with clean crockery in modules. The 1st table in Coach K opposite the current dumb waiter is being removed along with the dumb waiter and replaced with a 'service area' including space for a module/s to store drinks. At the DVT end of Coach K (opposite the toilet) they proposed using this space for additional module storage for cups. They only problem I heard with the latter part of this was that that space is frequently used for luggage (although its not meant for luggage) and removing this would reduce the luggage space onboard.

There was no further mention of these mods since the initial design stage. (Oh and returning in blue simply means the carriages will return in the current GNER/NXEC/East Coast blue with white stripe.)

The first few refurbished vehicles are due in service in the next week or so. People have said this has taken too long and the work won't be completed for Eureka, however once these have returned they expect the modifications to take around 3-4 days on other sets. The first few have taken longer because things haven't been quite right in the designs. The first vehicle is expected to be a MK3 which is at Kilmarnock?

4SRKT

Established Member
The EC HST livery is miles nicer than the silver on the Electras. Why wasn't this applied to the whole EC fleet?

silentone

The HST's were rebranded as NXEC, and that livery is still that of National Express. The HST's livery is a quick fix solution without having to repaint the sets again. I'd imagine when the time comes to repaint the HST's they would have the same livery as the MK4's applied. I don't think we'll see that livery as the infamous IEP should replace the HST before the time comes to repaint.

The MK4 sets which have been painted silver will now not be allowed to be painted any other colour as they are planning on keeping the route as 'East Coast' when a new operator takes. It will work similarly to how Scotrail are now.

At_traction

The MK4 sets which have been painted silver will now not be allowed to be painted any other colour as they are planning on keeping the route as 'East Coast' when a new operator takes. It will work similarly to how Scotrail are now.

Ah, cunning stunts. At least that gives the ECML "brand" a fixed identity in name and colour theme. And saves re-painting time and money (and designers' fees ;)) in the future... A good call, I'd say.

387star

On Moderation
Is this official? Silver is fine but the pink stuff is grotesque having said that the ex GNER/NXEC/EC branding on mk4s is an insult to the eyes

rail-britain

Established Member
The franchise operator will be allowed to place their corporate brand on the doors "Service operated by XYZ Company" and at each coach end interior (as applicable for Mark 3 and Mark 4 coaches)
The rules are quite strict and results in a much smaller presence of that franchise operator
It has been suggested this may result in reduced bids, as some people will not be aware of what company actually operates the service

ie compare "East Coast operated by National Express" and "National Express East Coast"
In effect Cross Country already operates like this, as do some other non-branded franchise liveries

silentone

In defence of the East Coast brand is was done 'on the cheap' and quickly due to the press attention NXEC received about the handover and the cost of rebranding.

What you will have seen since East Coast tookover is that the brand has become a bit more 'friendly' than it was on launch day. East Coast have also established a design team in-house to design timetables, posters, promotional material and work on all aspects of the brand and reduce costs on outsourcing this work. They are also working on a new TV ad which sounds like it's going a bit Virgin-esque and probably aimed at the May timetable. They were looking for staff to appear in the ad recently, they are also lining up a set soon for a press event also in relation to Eureka.

mumrar

Established Member
Does cross-country have any reference to arriva on the trains?
None whatsoever, never has been. Its not even mentioned on the posters or website I don't think, unless you dig deep on the site perhaps, but being staff I don't really visit.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
They only problem I heard with the latter part of this was that that space is frequently used for luggage (although its not meant for luggage) and removing this would reduce the luggage space onboard.
Very true - it is often filled with luggage quite quickly at KGX when the Restaurant is in operation.

I've passed three (joined) restaurant cars recently at Donny, so I think its safe to assume that that is where the work was carried out.

As for how long the remaining conversions will take - I'm intruiged - and not holding my breath!

. . . They were looking for staff to appear in the ad recently, they are also lining up a set soon for a press event also in relation to Eureka.
I wonder if any of the Chefs will be invited to stand (in Chef's 'uniform') for a publicity photo shoot to promote the future offerings? ? ?

silentone

The first sets have been done but are going through sort of 'snagging'. Oven doors opening the way etc. Once this is done and finalised it will take a matter of days to get them in, kitted out and sent back out. Despite being 2 weeks behind they still have contingency built in to the project.

I don't think they were planning on having a Chef present, they seemed to want just CSA's.

People could store luggage better or use the DVT. This 'space' area tends to be filled with large items of luggage.

Aictos

Established Member
The franchise operator will be allowed to place their corporate brand on the doors "Service operated by XYZ Company" and at each coach end interior (as applicable for Mark 3 and Mark 4 coaches)
The rules are quite strict and results in a much smaller presence of that franchise operator
It has been suggested this may result in reduced bids, as some people will not be aware of what company actually operates the service

ie compare "East Coast operated by National Express" and "National Express East Coast"
In effect Cross Country already operates like this, as do some other non-branded franchise liveries

Basically like the the Saltire livery used on the trains operated by First in Scotland then where you have the standard livery which can't be removed and just have a small logo either on the doors or by the doors with the operating company's name?

300px-Scotrail_Saltire_Livery_Class_158.jpg

At_traction

[...]

Any plans to introduce that generic livery approach on the west coast too if the bid war falls through Vigin's hands? "West Coast by Deutsche Bahn." :p

Anyway, it would be a pity to see the Pendos lose their salamander colouring (and especially the diag-stripe doors), that must be the single rather well-balanced "dazzle" livery in all the stupefyingly horrid colour combinations now poisoning the trackside vistas in the UK...

dave59

Basically like the the Saltire livery used on the trains operated by First in Scotland then where you have the standard livery which can't be removed and just have a small logo either on the doors or by the doors with the operating company's name?

Yes, a good idea which should have happened before NX started messing with GNER's livery. IMHO EC should have returned to the superb navy blue and red, the silver one looks cheap and shows up all the imperfections in the panels.

Scotrail and Virgin look good, so much more business-like to have a uniform livery and not half the fleet different.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes, a good idea which should have happened before NX started messing with GNER's livery. IMHO EC should have returned to the superb navy blue and red, the silver one looks cheap and shows up all the imperfections in the panels.

Scotrail and Virgin look good, so much more business-like to have a uniform livery and not half the fleet different.

I have a feeling that Sea Containers, or possibly even the design company that was commissioned to develop the GNER livery, probably own licensing rights for the colour scheme, hence precluding possible reuse of the excellent red and navy blue livery. That's a real shame if it is the case.

silentone

I'm not sure anyone holds any rights over GNER or it's past livery. GNER the name is now being brought to life elsewhere.

As for Sea Containers, that group emerged from Chapter 11 as a reformed company now known as SeaCo Ltd focusing only on Sea Containers. Like the name 'GNER' it's probably the case that nobody claims it partly because the company no longer exists in any form.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm not sure anyone holds any rights over GNER or it's past livery. GNER the name is now being brought to life elsewhere.

As for Sea Containers, that group emerged from Chapter 11 as a reformed company now known as SeaCo Ltd focusing only on Sea Containers. Like the name 'GNER' it's probably the case that nobody claims it partly because the company no longer exists in any form.

Fair enough, that sounds rational, just a suspicion I thought I'd voice on the off chance that somebody would know the truth in either the affirmative or negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.