• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Effect of strike on Tuesday 26 May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why has the waterloo and city line gone bye bye. I didn't think that had anything to do with network rail anymore.
I answered this upthread, and elsewhere. Traction current for the Drain is controlled by the Network Rail electrical control room at Raynes Park.

Timster83

Abellio ScotRail suggesting there will be trains running in the Central Belt on both days. South Glasgow DOO services. Ayrshire shuttle Glasgow/ Paisley. Glasgow to East Kilbride. Also Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk and Edinburgh Fife circle trains.

Which would tend to suggest managers working in signal centres.

The services with guards would tend to suggest managers working in lieu of Guards.

All other services cancelled.

South Glasgow DOO services aren't running on the Tuesday, with only a limited timetable on the Monday.

Given that Glasgow to EK is running, perhaps it was decided there wasn't enough resource to manage all the signalling that would be required for the Neilston, Newton and Circle routes. There are some interesting graphics on a website which suggest that the signalling around Muirhouse Junction & Cathcart is rather complex.

Muirhouse%20Junction%20Signal%20Panel.bmp

Cathcart%20Signal%20Panel.bmp

Running trains straight through to EK without having to worry about all the other trains coming and going via Pollokshields East and Cathcart might be the easiest option.

scrapy

Established Member
Northern say they are unable to run replacement buses. Will replacement buses already scheduled such as those serving Kearsley and Farnworth run?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I take it there's no hope of it being called off by Friday then...

Wishing I hadn't booked a weekend away, since I'll now have to eat the cost of the Sunday evening's hotel room and travel back on the Sunday instead.

And there I was at the beginning of the year, thinking I'd been smart in booking the extra night to avoid the engineering works(!)

Write to the train operator with the hotel invoice, there is every chance they will make a gesture of goodwill.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You're not covered for consequential losses under the NRCoC, but at the very least you can express your significant displeasure at the loss. What you will get in reply depends very much on the TOC concerned...

Chouette

Given the price of a stamp these days, I think I'll cut my losses and merely vent my displeasure here, where at least it's free, if unproductive.

redbutton

How can TfL operate on their own metals if the signallers at NXG signal box are still NR?

The East London Line is TfL infrastructure and I believe that extends all the way into platform 1 at NXG and platform D at New Cross.

Also there's no signal box at NXG, the NR side is controlled from Three Bridges ROC.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't know why they couldn't run a full service between harrow and amersham unless NR signals the fasts.

The only way to get units onto this section would be via NR. You could, in theory, outstable a couple of units in the various LUL sidings - but a lot of hassle to run a service which will duplicate the Metropolitan Line anyway, and not do anything for people who want to go south of Harrow.

Skoodle

The East London Line is TfL infrastructure and I believe that extends all the way into platform 1 at NXG and platform D at New Cross.

Also there's no signal box at NXG, the NR side is controlled from Three Bridges ROC.

ELL Panel 1 and 2 are based in the OBC at New Cross Gate depot. They cover from NXG, New Cross, Silwood and from Old Kent Road Junction up to Highbury & Islington. Carillion cover maintenance on the TfL owned infrastructure.

LAX54

Established Member
I wonder if any of the TOCs are putting any pressure on the parties involved. They must be dreading the loss of revenue.

I doubt it, in fact based on WCML where they are cancelled all day Monday for some odd reason ! bearing in mind many Signallers will still be at work until 2200, and some until 1800 ! Unless of course as the ECRO will be not working, but even then that is from either 1800 or 2200 .

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member

Uhm last bit incorrect. ELL is controlled by the New Cross Gate OBC, which is located in the New cross gate depot complex. TBROC takes over at New Cross Gate.

Essexman

Established Member
I have advance tickets on East Coast out Tuesday back Thursday (booked with Rewards)
Given that I can't travel out on Tuesday I won't want to come back Thursday (and one night stay is too short).
It would seem reasonable that I could change these to out Thursday back Saturday (rewards tickets still available these days).
Would VTEC allow this?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I doubt it, in fact based on WCML where they are cancelled all day Monday for some odd reason ! bearing in mind many Signallers will still be at work until 2200, and some until 1800 ! Unless of course as the ECRO will be not working, but even then that is from either 1800 or 2200 .

I heard on Twitter they were de-energising the OHLE. Wha? Surely loads of it will get nicked? Unless that's rumours someone is spreading to ensure a bit of Darwinism? :)

A-driver

Established Member
I heard on Twitter they were de-energising the OHLE. Wha? Surely loads of it will get nicked? Unless that's rumours someone is spreading to ensure a bit of Darwinism? :)

If the Electrical Control Office is unmanned the wires must de-energised as there is no one to cut the power in an emergency or respond to tripping etc.

I can't see why it increases the chances of it being nicked through-I mean ever ally if there are no staff and no trains during the strike then surely anything on the railway has a higher chance of being mocked or damaged, not just wires.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I am looking at alternative ways to get to work on Tuesday. If Southern are running I could get a train to Redhill and a 32 bus onto Guildford?

Clip

Established Member
Im up north and cant believe Virgin are not running owt on Monday?? oh well I suppose an extra days leave or two will have to be taken ;)

Well, it sounds feasible, as in London Midland's latest update it says that they will be unable to run any electric trains.

On Monday and Tuesday, we will only be able to operate a very restricted service - and only on the following lines:

Coventry to Wolverhampton via Birmingham New Street
Kidderminster to Dorridge via Birmingham Snow Hill
Kidderminster to Stratford–upon–Avon via Shirley and Birmingham Snow Hill
Stourbridge Town to Stourbridge Junction
Coventry to Nuneaton
Bletchley to Bedford (Tuesday only)
These plans are based on information currently available from Network Rail and may be subject to change.

No other London Midland services will run on these days. All train companies will be similarly affected by the industrial action. Trains will only run between 0730 and 1830 each day and we are encouraging people to find other ways to travel if possible.

The nature of the industrial action by Network Rail employees means that we will not be able to run electric powered trains - which accounts for most of our fleet.

http://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/journey-planning/industrialaction /

Last edited:

broadgage

Yes I suspect that some OHLE will be stolen whilst dead. From a security point of view it would be better left energised. But as someone else has posted it may have to be de energised if the electrical control room is not manned.

I would hope that the BTP are aware and will be keeping a good look out for copper thieves.

tsr

Established Member
I am looking at alternative ways to get to work on Tuesday. If Southern are running I could get a train to Redhill and a 32 bus onto Guildford?

I am not expecting any meaningful number of trains via Redhill on Monday or Tuesday. This may change. Monday's emergency timetable in particular, however, would completely omit many major stations on Southern routes - including the BML stations of Burgess Hill, Horley, Redhill, Purley and Clapham Junction; all routes to London Bridge; Metro stations including Dorking, Epsom, Sutton, West Croydon, Crystal Palace, Tulse Hill and Peckham Rye; and the whole of the Horsham/Arun Valley, Hove and Lewes routes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.