• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Various Driver Roles - Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomnick

Established Member
Sundays inside on a 35hr week, maximum day is 10hr 30mins. Spare movement I recall is 2hr 30mins (or possibly 2hr).
2h30 movement from spare

Bit of a general question but intrigued to know specifically for EMR too, how does overtime work in railways? Is it an hourly rate/daily rate? Only if work rd’s, or over specific hours? Is it pre planned or late notice cover or both? Thanks in advance
Generally folk work to a base roster, which averages out at no more than 35hrs/wk (or whatever the contracted hours are) over the number of weeks in the roster. Some weeks will be longer, some weeks will be shorter. You’ll get overtime on an hourly rate for anything over the base rostered hours each day, whether that’s because your booked job’s been extended (e.g. engineering work), you’re doing a longer job than booked, unplanned delays or late-notice alterations. Some companies don’t pay overtime for unplanned delays for, e.g., the first fifteen minutes over rostered hours. Rest day work’s obviously overtime too, paid according to the length of turn worked, sometimes at a premium depending on the company, and often with a minimum payment too (e.g. paid six hours minimum even if you only come in for a couple of hours’ work).

Does anyone know if the apprenticeship driver salary advertised is the training salary, the salary once qualified, or if the salary remains the same throughout training and working?

Also, what does Sundays ‘in’ mean? They are included as part of the 35 hour week rather than classed as overtime? My base rate as a signaller is less than the salary advertised but easily exceeds it by working Sundays/nights/the odd bit of overtime. Just trying to work out if I’d take a hit financially if I went for it. Thanks in advance.
Salary progression is detailed in the Twitter screenshots up near the top of the thread. Sundays ‘in’ does indeed mean that they’re part of the 35 hour week, so no ‘guaranteed’ overtime as in the signalling grade. That means that you have to have an extra rest day in the week to compensate for working a Sunday though, and I can’t imagine a world where the railway doesn’t rely on rest day work to some extent!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Does anyone know if the apprenticeship driver salary advertised is the training salary, the salary once qualified, or if the salary remains the same throughout training and working?

Also, what does Sundays ‘in’ mean? They are included as part of the 35 hour week rather than classed as overtime? My base rate as a signaller is less than the salary advertised but easily exceeds it by working Sundays/nights/the odd bit of overtime. Just trying to work out if I’d take a hit financially if I went for it. Thanks in advance.
That's the salary during training and follows the standard rate of progression for drivers. Trainee/Apprentice Mainline Driver is something like 75% of full salary, and once passed I think it goes to 90% for your first year then 100%.

YingYing

Certainly sounds a different experience to all the others but it sounds like an enjoyable day but I agree how they adapt to COVID will be very interesting.

Did they have you doing other group tasks as well?
Yes there were other tasks, such as watch a powerpoint where they showed about 50 different images of things and in your team you had to memorise them and then you had 5 minutes after to write as many down as you could remember. You had a few minutes beforehand to come up with a strategy in your team to make sure you got as many as possible. there were a few variations of it that we did but I can't remember. Another one was that you were given a map of a theme park with all the details removed and the individual rides and features were all on seperate pieces of paper. You had to put them in the correct position in the park by using a crib sheet that had clues as to where they would be such as "big dipper ride is to the east of the toilet block" and such. After that one you had to make your own theme park in your groups and give a presentation to the rest of the class about it's features, what it's unque selling point was, who it's marketed to etc. Just basically to see how well you do at talking at the front of the class, and get across what part you played in the design. Overall it was an enjoyable day bar the speed-dating interviews which I found quite stressful at the time because I wasn't very experienced as an interviewee. I felt a little let down afterwards as we were told we'd get proper feedback if we were unsuccessful but the email response I got was very generic and just mentioned the basic things they were looking for in candidates.

LeonO

Does anybody know if EMR require candidates to re-sit OPC testing and MMI if already passed?

And is it Standard or Enhanced pass criteria?

Cheers

ILoveLamp

Applied, many thanks.. relatives in the north.. so I'll be squatting if successful.
Would you not need to provide proof that this is your actual address, regardless of relatives? I think there has been a lot of discussion on relocation in another thread. I’ve not applied to a few vacancies for this reason, thinking I may get caught out at some point in the process. Maybe you will be ok, it sounds like some others have done this successfully, who knows??

JH9

For those wondering about relocation - confirmed 60 min rule at time of application. That is the depot manager

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-202308_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-202308_Twitter.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 170

irish_rail

Established Member
For those wondering about relocation - confirmed 60 min rule at time of application. That is the depot manager
I'd like to see that challenged in courts quite honestly. If every TOC took that line then it would be completely impossible to move around the country which seems a little unfair tbh (I am referring mainly to qualified drivers here).

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I'd like to see that challenged in courts quite honestly. If every TOC took that line then it would be completely impossible to move around the country which seems a little unfair tbh (I am referring mainly to qualified drivers here).

Challenged under what? What possible reason would any legal professional even attempt to take it on

It isn't discrimatory under any recognised law, and frankly its entirely up to the employer what criteria they use.

It's not preventing anyone moving across the country. That's still the choice of the individual.

craigybagel

Established Member
Although I've never seen it written down as such, unofficially it seems to be common that the rules don't apply to qualifieds. You could argue that they're more likely to be reliable and truthful in these matters after all! If they're applying for a move it's probably because they actually want to move to that location, and not because they're just desperate for their key.

That said, in this particular case there are an awful lot of depots within 60 minutes of Liverpool so if they do apply the rule to qualifieds as well I still doubt they'd struggle.

JH9

Apologies, I was mainly thinking of the trainee role. I think he was replying to someone specifically asking about relocating for the apprenticeship.

irish_rail

Established Member
Apologies, I was mainly thinking of the trainee role. I think he was replying to someone specifically asking about relocating for the apprenticeship.
I see. My point really is only in relation to qualifieds, as Craigybagel points out they wouldnt be moving just to get a key.

Sully123

I applied today!
Good luck everyone.

With the application closure date being tomorrow 5/3/21 would anyone have an idea of the turn around speed of notification if you passed the application stage?
I ask as I have the possibility to be get voluntary redundancy from my job but need to confirm this within 2 weeks.

Many Thanks. Some great information on this forum!

YingYing

I applied today!
Good luck everyone.

With the application closure date being tomorrow 5/3/21 would anyone have an idea of the turn around speed of notification if you passed the application stage?
I ask as I have the possibility to be get voluntary redundancy from my job but need to confirm this within 2 weeks.

I would be amazed if they were in the position to give out job offers within the next 2 months let alone 2 weeks. There are so many stages to recruitment that even if you sailed through each step, I don't think they would all be held within the next 2 weeks.

djack123son

I applied today!
Good luck everyone.

If you applied., hopefully you saw this in the advert^^

Part 1 – Driver testing Stage 1: 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th April 2021

• Part 2 – Assessment Days: Week Commencing 19th April 2021

• Part 3 – Competency based interviews: Week Commencing 3rd May 2021

• Part 4 – Driver testing Stage 2: Week Commencing 24th May 2021

Sully123

I did see this. Forgive for sounding stupid, but these 4 parts, after completing you would go into a pool? or then start your apprenticeship?

As much as I have searched for information there is nothing 'clear cut' in my eyes.

JH9

I did see this. Forgive for sounding stupid, but these 4 parts, after completing you would go into a pool? or then start your apprenticeship?

As much as I have searched for information there is nothing 'clear cut' in my eyes.
I believe it says successful candidates will go into a pool and training course dates will be throughout 2021 and 2022. :)

carlucio71

Been.an interesting read, some great advice hints and tips. I've applied already and patiently awaiting a response. Good luck to everyone who has applied

bengley

Established Member
I received an email telling me I wasn't successful today (qualified driver)

I suppose they'll be sending more out in due course.

Signalgirl

I received an email telling me I wasn't successful today (qualified driver)

I suppose they'll be sending more out in due course.

I’m sorry to hear that. Was the qualified driver position a separate application to the apprenticeship driver vacancy? If they’re rejecting qualified drivers, I’m not sure what chance I’d have!

Red Devil

I’m sorry to hear that. Was the qualified driver position a separate application to the apprenticeship driver vacancy? If they’re rejecting qualified drivers, I’m not sure what chance I’d have!
Totally separate vacancy. Qualified for talent pool and then trainees.

TTDARL

You are in with as good a chance as any. Gone are the days of being qualified and having a key being a near guarantee of moving companies. So don’t think it makes you have a lesser chance as a potential trainee / apprenticeship candidate. Qualified drivers can also not be good at applications, assessments etc. Also with qualified drivers TOCS are mindful of their sickness record, safety of the line record, ‘problem’ drivers, reputation, lateness, periods of light duties (being unproductive as a driver,) etcetc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.