• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railops

Just because you think something is trivial, doesn't mean it doesn't mean everything to someone else.

In the grand scheme of things it's utterly trivial, people are having death stare them in the face on a daily basis.
Most remainers have not yet come to terms with leaving the EU and probably never will and are very very bitter but it's still not a reason to start talking about killing yourself.
You started this silly talk in June, perhaps it's time to become a bit more mature.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
When I watched my child slowly and painfully die over a period of 18 months at the age of 4 I never thought my life was over and wished I was dead,
That is because unlike you I'm not a complete drama queen who constantly seeks attention with your perceived idea that when we leave the EU you might as well kill yourself which you've already threatened.
I don't care if other posters back you up and indulge your attention seeking, that's up to them.
To declare you might as well be dead over what is in effect an extremely trivial event is ridiculous and an insult to people who have actual important things to worry about.

15+ WARNING: This is how I feel right now.

Railops, I'm sorry for what you've experienced in the past, that would be horrible for anyone and deeply scarring. But that doesn't give you the right to treat people in the way you do when they have expressed suicidal thoughts in front of your very eyes. You say that radamfi is attention-seeking, but I say that you are the one who has been trying so hard to get our attention throughout the course of this thread. I suggest you take a break and come back when you have something sensible to say.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Most remainers have not yet come to terms with leaving the EU and probably never will and are very very bitter

While most leavers are very, very smug and seek to minimise legitimate concerns about the future. ;)

I accept we as a country voted to leave even if i was not convinced by the case made - I am unhappy about the campaign and the lack of detail about the impact of a leave choice and the untruthful statements made by all sides ( but leave especially) and remain concerned about the long term effect this choice will have on both the country and on all of us.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
In the grand scheme of things it's utterly trivial, people are having death stare them in the face on a daily basis.
Most remainers have not yet come to terms with leaving the EU and probably never will and are very very bitter but it's still not a reason to start talking about killing yourself.
You started this silly talk in June, perhaps it's time to become a bit more mature.

Year's Funniest Post 2017.

That is so hypocritical...if we weren't talking about suicide then I'd be laughing out loud right now.

If radamfi is talking about killing himself, then Gawd knows we shouldn't be admonishing him for it. This isn't helpful at all.

Mordac

Established Member
I can't tell which side this is supposed to take, which surely is the mark of great comedy:

[youtube]3Cj_uITD_0g[/youtube]

Railops

15+ WARNING: This is how I feel right now.

Railops, I'm sorry for what you've experienced in the past, that would be horrible for anyone and deeply scarring. But that doesn't give you the right to treat people in the way you do when they have expressed suicidal thoughts in front of your very eyes. You say that radamfi is attention-seeking, but I say that you are the one who has been trying so hard to get our attention throughout the course of this thread. I suggest you take a break and come back when you have something sensible to say.

I expected that type of response from you, if you really really think the poster isn't craving attention you're as bad as him.
Other posters have also criticised the poster concerned going back a long time, and I would suggest loads of others have seen his posts and thought the same as me but were afraid to say anything.

backontrack

Established Member
I expected that type of response from you, if you really really think the poster isn't craving attention you're as bad as him.
Other posters have also criticised the poster concerned going back a long time, and I would suggest loads of others have seen his posts and thought the same as me but were afraid to say anything.
If you'll pardon the allcaps:

HE'S TALKING ABOUT SUICIDE!!!! ISN'T THAT OBVIOUS TO YOU???
WHETHER OR NOT HE'S TRYING TO GET ATTENTION, IT'S STILL NOT HEALTHY FOR HIM TO BE DOING THIS! AND WHAT YOU'RE DOING DEFINITELY ISN'T HELPING!

How would you feel, eh? How would you feel if you were suicidal and you kept being told how you were just a whinging attention seeker. I'm not just saying that, just put yourself in someone else's shoes for a change and see how you feel then.

Last edited:

Railops

This sort of talk should have been stopped way back in June.
The mods have allowed this to go on too long and the poster should be politely told this forum isn't the right place for that type of talk.
Go somewhere more suitable.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
This sort of talk should have been stopped way back in June.
The mods have allowed this to go on too long and the poster should be politely told this forum isn't the right place for that type of talk.
Go somewhere more suitable.

'That type of talk'????

That is completely stupid.

If someone's expressing suicidal thoughts, you don't censor them, you SIT DOWN WITH THEM AND YOU TALK ABOUT IT!

Last edited:

Railops

That post of yours which you deleted was along these line:

'That talk doesn't belong here'????

That is completely stupid.

If someone's expressing suicidal thoughts, you don't censor them, you SIT DOWN WITH THEM AND YOU TALK ABOUT IT!

If you're so concerned then I'm sure you will be doing just that.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's also interesting to note that a large number of MPs probably voted to leave the EU when their constituents voted to stay. Funnily enough, the Mail hasn't taken the time to identify them...

Indeed. Especially as many Conservative MPs were elected on the basis their party was going to keep us in the EU with some reforms but only one voted against triggering article 50.

backontrack

Established Member
Off-topic, but I would just briefly like to say that [thread=124646]this thread[/thread] may be helpful for some like radamfi.

The Bank of England has raised its growth forecast.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Indeed. Especially as many Conservative MPs were elected on the basis their party was going to keep us in the EU with some reforms but only one voted against triggering article 50.
Research suggests that if MPs had voted along the lines of their constituencies, the result would have been broadly similar:
https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/t...r-constituencies-vote-283c85cd20e1#.2f4hpxxap (warning: stat heavy!)

More generally, this exercise allows us to make the following claims:
•421 out of 574 English and Welsh constituencies probably voted to Leave
•Of these, 270 English and Welsh constituencies almost definitely voted to Leave
•152 constituencies probably voted to Remain.
•Of these, half (76) almost definitely voted to Remain.

MPs make decisions based on many factors. Constituency opinion is one of these. The results of last Thursday already made it clear that a majority of voters in the UK want to leave the European Union. In this blog post, I’ve tried to demonstrate a claim that almost certainly follows on from that — that a majority of constituencies also favoured Leaving.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Off-topic, but I would just briefly like to say that [thread=124646]this thread[/thread] may be helpful for some like radamfi. It's a battle, but no-one has to face it alone.

Based on the economy as is. No one knows what the economy will be like post Article 50 or post Brexit as no one knows what our trading ties will be with the EU. As Ken Clarke said "We are about to go down the rabbits hole".

pemma

Veteran Member
Off-topic, but I would just briefly like to say that [thread=124646]this thread[/thread] may be helpful for some like radamfi.

Raised it to back where it was before the EU vote or not that far?

Of course there are many factors which affect the growth forecast - the situation in America is one factor and that's out of our control.

Domh245

Established Member
I see that the white paper has been released. Any thoughts on it? I haven't been able to read it yet, but the BBC article on it seems to suggest that it is little more than the 12 platitudes written out without the accompanying pictures.

pemma

Veteran Member
I see that the white paper has been released. Any thoughts on it? I haven't been able to read it yet, but the BBC article on it seems to suggest that it is little more than the 12 platitudes written out without the accompanying pictures.

So we're only going to accept skilled migrants but are going to demand EU countries let any British nationals already living there remain there whether they are skilled or not. Also we're going to devolve more powers to Scotland (hadn't that already been promised and not delivered which is why the SNP are doing so well?)

Is this 'La La Land' I keep hearing about where Theresa May lives?

Dave1987

On Moderation
So we're only going to accept skilled migrants but are going to demand EU countries let any British nationals already living there remain there whether they are skilled or not. Also we're going to devolve more powers to Scotland (hadn't that already been promised and not delivered which is why the SNP are doing so well?)

When asked repeatedly by back bench MPs about the vast amount of jobs that rely on exports to the EU all the Brexit Secretary would say is is that the Government would do all it can to protect jobs in this country via obtaining tariff free trading and custom deals with the EU. Yet they know full well that they will not get tariff free deals with the EU. They are heavily relying on trade deals with other large economies, all of which would appear to want a relaxing of visa restrictions for their citizens to get into the UK. So we are going from trying to control immigration from the EU to allowing more immigration from the rest of the world. Could not make this stuff up.

backontrack

Established Member
So we're only going to accept skilled migrants but are going to demand EU countries let any British nationals already living there remain there whether they are skilled or not.
But that would be deportation. Surely it's more that EU countries wouldn't accept unskilled Brits?

Also we're going to devolve more powers to Scotland (hadn't that already been promised and not delivered which is why the SNP are doing so well?)
Devo-Max (which sounds like a brand of laxative by the way) was made up after the Indyref of 2014. The SNP were doing well before then; they'd already formed a Government at Holyrood, having been elected with the pledge that they'd hold a referendum on UK membership. Devo-Max only came about because of that referendum.

I'm not sure whether or not you can attribute the SNP's success latterly to the revelation that it was all a massive lie anyway. I haven't heard people chanting "We want Devo-Max" in the streets. I do, however, think that there is a palpable degree of resentment towards Westminster because of how Scotland has been continuously shafted by the Tories (though, being from the North, I know that feeling well <() and I think it's entirely justified.

[POST=2863604]Nope.[/POST] ;)

EM2

Established Member
When paragraph 2.1 says:
'...whilst parliament has remained sovereign throughout our membership of the EU, it hasn't always felt like that'
(my bold)
I wonder what all the fuss has been about.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There's that word again - "felt".

It's all about how you feel; individual narratives are premium. It's not about facts, or data.

backontrack

Established Member
There's that word again - "felt".

It's all about how you feel; individual narratives are premium. It's not about facts, or data.

So true...this theme has run throughout the Brexit vote. And what about the 'alternative facts' across the pond?

I was surprised when all these people were saying the day after the Brexit Vote "This is independence day, we've got our sovereignty back" when I'm sure that they'd never worried about the EU before Farage and co. 'enlightened' them.

pemma

Veteran Member
But that would be deportation. Surely it's more that EU countries wouldn't accept unskilled Brits?

It's completely out of our hands but Theresa May is pretending she's in control. If an agreement can't be reached for all EU countries to allow British people to still live in the EU after Brexit (which would have numerous conditions attached to it) then we'd have to negotiate with each country individually and each country could make demands in order to accept that.

Devo-Max (which sounds like a brand of laxative by the way) was made up after the Indyref of 2014. The SNP were doing well before then; they'd already formed a Government at Holyrood, having been elected with the pledge that they'd hold a referendum on UK membership. Devo-Max only came about because of that referendum.

The SNP hardly had any MPs in 2010, then in 2015 they held most Scottish seats. What they did would almost be equivalent to having the Lib Dems in a majority government in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

me123

Established Member
Banff and Buchan voted remain.

That was what I thought, and this is what triggered my suspicions of the Daily Mail's claims in the first place.

In reality, we don't know how Banff and Buchan voted. Their votes were counted in the Aberdeenshire region, which appears to include Gordon, and West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine constituencies. So there's no official record of how each of these constituencies voted (with Aberdeenshire returning a 55/45 return for Remain). However, using extrapolated data (methodology not stated anywhere I can see), there is a claim that the Banff and Buchan constituency did vote to leave the EU.

However, I'm very cautious of using these claims. It's interesting to look at the data, but with the methodology being unclear, no confidence intervals being published, and crucially no actual count of real votes... I do not believe that we can say that Banff and Buchan definitely voted to leave the EU (nor can we say that they definitely voted to stay).

This is all true for seven of the eight other MPs named and shamed by the Heil in its typically abhorrent journalistic style.

Status
Not open for further replies.