• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
The UK is a democracy. Johnson is prime minister. Therefore he was democratically elected.
Except, of course, that we don't elect a prime minister. The PM doesn't even need to be elected as an MP.

mmh

Established Member
I'm not so sure about that.... He's already been floating the idea the either the EU as a whole or Ireland in particular are responsible for No Deal.

Johnson is a chancer, an opportunist. I've never been particularly convinced he's actually a Leaver. He is however doing things that are popular with his party (and a substantial amount of people of other parties)

If things go wrong, it will be someone else's fault. He's a politician.

anme

Established Member
Except, of course, that we don't elect a prime minister. The PM doesn't even need to be elected as an MP.

Exactly. I don't remember the remoaners complaining when Blair was prime minister.

Struner

It is the EU and Ireland's fault! The UK democratically voted to leave the EU. The EU and Ireland must accept that and give us what we voted for! That's democracy!
Of course! & honour the Good Friday Agreement! As the uk will stand by it’s word!

dtaylor84

Exactly. I don't remember the remoaners complaining when Blair was prime minister.

I do remember some scathing criticism of Brown, when he took over from Blair without a general election.

In particular, from, uh, Johnson...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...how-boris-johnson-described-gordon-brown-2007

They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM… They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal. Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup… with North Korean servility, the Labour Party has handed power over to the brooding Scottish power-maniac.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The people's will was clearly expressed in 2016 via a simple question. Of course, the real world is more complex, so the instruction of the people must be interpreted by those we democratically elect, such as Boris Johnson. He is quite right to shut down parliament when try to get in the way of democracy.
The trouble is that Boris Johnson is one of six hundred and fifty that we democratically elect. Why is he to be the one to decide the others are getting in the way of democracy? He is Prime Minister because he is presumed to hold the confidence of Parliament, but Parliament has only sat for a whole seven hours (on the 25th of July) since came into office.

Regardless, if that conclusion were reached, I think the correct way of dealing with those who are "getting in the way of democracy" is to dissolve Parliament, and go to the people for another General Election. (That's not as easy to do now though, since the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.) Using an extended prorogation to hamper the efforts of the opposition is a rather underhanded political manoeuvre. The opposition may well be seeking to undertake equally underhanded actions, but they don't do so from a position of power.

In the conventional Westminster System, the Prime Minister gains authority from commanding the support of Parliament. And the Members of Parliament gain their authority by being selected by the electorate. Traditionally, referenda haven't been part of the system at all. But we now have the strange situation where the electorate gave one view during a referendum, and then selected a Parliament that holds an opposing view. Add on the fact that the recent coalition government made it harder for Parliaments to be dissolved early, and that's the root of the constitutional crisis that's been simmering away for the past few years.

dgl

Established Member
The thing with Gordon Brown is that he wasn't a nutter, wasn't going to do anything drastic and in most ways was good for this country, plus he managed to get us through a pretty bad financial crash/recession (which the conservatives seem hell bent on returning us to), Boris Johnson? he isn't even good enough for the bin.

Bantamzen

Established Member
This attitude I just can't understand. Surely *no one* should be actively hoping for a disastrous outcome. I suggest the above is quite revealing into the mentality of parts of the remain side.

I present you Boris Johnson, his merry band of cabinet members, and all those leavers rooting for a no deal scenario....

anme

Established Member
The trouble is that Boris Johnson is one of six hundred and fifty that we democratically elect. Why is he to be the one to decide the others are getting in the way of democracy? He is Prime Minister because he is presumed to hold the confidence of Parliament, but Parliament has only sat for a whole seven hours (on the 25th of July) since came into office.

Regardless, if that conclusion were reached, I think the correct way of dealing with those who are "getting in the way of democracy" is to dissolve Parliament, and go to the people for another General Election. (That's not as easy to do now though, since the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.) Using an extended prorogation to hamper the efforts of the opposition is a rather underhanded political manoeuvre. The opposition may well be seeking to undertake equally underhanded actions, but they don't do so from a position of power.

In the conventional Westminster System, the Prime Minister gains authority from commanding the support of Parliament. And the Members of Parliament gain their authority by being selected by the electorate. Traditionally, referenda haven't been part of the system at all. But we now have the strange situation where the electorate gave one view during a referendum, and then selected a Parliament that holds an opposing view. Add on the fact that the recent coalition government made it harder for Parliaments to be dissolved early, and that's the root of the constitutional crisis that's been simmering away for the past few years.

That's a long way of saying you don't want to honour the democratic will of the people.

krus_aragon

Established Member
But that’s the only problem? Doesn’t she have to do as told by the pm?
The Queen's set the date. She's only allowed to act on the advice given to her, and the current Prime Minister isn't likely to change his mind.

I don't believe that the date can be changed once Parliament is prorogued. If a different Prime Minister came along before then, and gave differing advice, it may be practical to cancel the proroguing. But don't quote me on that.

The other option that I've heard mentioned is a "Humble Address to the Queen", which would be a message from Parliament as a whole (following a vote on its contents). As the Prime Minister acts with the support of Parliament, having Parliament override him could lead to an even more interesting political situation.

anme

Established Member
At least the good people of NI will be able to look for bombs attached to the bus you just threw them under... :rolleyes:

It's not me putting bombs under anything. The British government have said they will never impose a hard border in Ireland. It's the EU who want to do it.

Billy A

The Good Friday Agreement v Democracy. Democracy wins. Good night.

Quite right. The GFA was not accepted by referenda held in Northern Ireland and Ireland on the 22nd of May 1998 with "yes" votes of 71% and 94% respectively while a decision to leave the EU without a deal was made by the UK electorate on....no, wait a minute!

anme

Established Member
Quite right. The GFA was not accepted by referenda held in Northern Ireland and Ireland on the 22nd of May 1998 with "yes" votes of 71% and 94% respectively while a decision to leave the EU without a deal was made by the UK electorate on....no, wait a minute!

Are you arguing that another country should be able to block the UK leaving the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.