• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Im hearing a lot of references to how we "got through the war" and stuff like that. Well, we only just got through the war, and a huge number of people died. Secondly, we certainly didn't do it on our own!

Yes, we're told to adopt the spirit of the Blitz. This being the Blitz in which 40,000 people died...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, we're told to adopt the spirit of the Blitz. This being the Blitz in which 40,000 people died...

Or better yet, "embody the Dunkirk Spirit".

Dunkirk was of course a meticulously planned operation, not the plucky Brit winging it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Im hearing a lot of references to how we "got through the war" and stuff like that. Well, we only just got through the war, and a huge number of people died. Secondly, we certainly didn't do it on our own!

I think it's incredibly offensive for Brexiteers to compare this to WW2. I hope Remembrance Day won't got caught up in all this nonsense.

The part of population actually old enough to remember WW2 is generally relatively pro-Remain.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The part of population actually old enough to remember WW2 is generally relatively pro-Remain.

............. but unfortunately, the generation immediately younger has an unhealthy amount of Brexiteers among them, (the ones I know who have admitted they voted this way, have said it is because they "don't like immigrants")!

I wonder who they think will wipe their backside when they go in a home in 10-20 years time?

AM9

Veteran Member
Not really offensive, just foolish and a little bit desperate on their part to make such asinine comparisons. A few of them like to take any opportunity use wartime diatribe. Doesn't help that the likes of Mark Francois like to slip military-speak into every other media soundbite. Certain vocal Brexiteers lap that stuff up.
That's because he has a masters in War studies, (and doesn't seem to understand much outside that subject as Will Self amply demonstrated a few monthhs ago). Ironically for a hard line leaver, he is entitled to apply for Italian citizenship as his mother is Italian.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The Will Self showdown was one of the funniest things I have seen recently. Talk about what you think you've heard (or more likely "what you want to hear")?.

"Thick as pig manure" comes to mind whenever I see Francois on the TV.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Boris Johnson has apparently already managed to get the wording on Britain’s pledge to keep workers rights aligned with that of the EU changed so there is no legal commitment to do so. You have several senior members of the cabinet who have called British people lazy and feckless before and who want to make it very easy for businesses to change employment contracts at will or make people redundant without redundancy payments. People who voted for Brexit and may well hand a large majority to this Government may very well come to regret it in future.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Boris Johnson has apparently already managed to get the wording on Britain’s pledge to keep workers rights aligned with that of the EU changed so there is no legal commitment to do so. You have several senior members of the cabinet who have called British people lazy and feckless before and who want to make it very easy for businesses to change employment contracts at will or make people redundant without redundancy payments. People who voted for Brexit and may well hand a large majority to this Government may very well come to regret it in future.

The Conservative Party in trying to screw over the workers shocker....

As you rightly say, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Brexit is not about some tear-jerkingly patriotic move to save us from EU bureaucracy, but just a way to de-regulate to squeeze the maximum out of the working population. Remember that this is the year that the threat of the retirement age being shifted to 75 came a large step closer to reality, we now start to see a government starting to plan for this deregulation in a post-Brexit economy. If they are allowed to continue to move towards their preferred position, a lot of people can expect to not see any form of retirement as well as working longer for less in the long run.

I really wish people who still wax lyrical about Brexit would take off their Union Flag shades & actually look at what is starting to emerge and ask themselves a fundamental question. Are they prepared to work for longer, for quite a bit less, with the very real prospect of having to forget about any kind of meaningful retirement so that they can stick two fingers up at the EU? In an ideal world this would send a shiver down the spines of many Brexiteers, but we are far from being in an ideal world.

Peter Kelford

I really wish people who still wax lyrical about Brexit would take off their Union Flag shades & actually look at what is starting to emerge and ask themselves a fundamental question. Are they prepared to work for longer, for quite a bit less, with the very real prospect of having to forget about any kind of meaningful retirement so that they can stick two fingers up at the EU? In an ideal world this would send a shiver down the spines of many Brexiteers, but we are far from being in an ideal world.

Selective perception of the facts means that only 1 out of 10 campaigners might have pointed that out, but the person being different to their point of view, Brexiteers didn't give it a fair hearing.

Peter Kelford

Might I point out that an election is still very much undecided though, as talks could break down into protest voting over the date of the election.

nlogax

Established Member
Election could be great for getting this stuff moving, but it could actually make things worse. Who knows for sure? The tension is.. getting really dull now.

One small point of interest is the influx of new voter registrations, about 2 millions in the last two months and more than half from under-34 year olds. Whether you can read anything into how that'll affect the outcome.. *shrugs*

Dave1987

On Moderation
The Conservative Party in trying to screw over the workers shocker....

As you rightly say, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Brexit is not about some tear-jerkingly patriotic move to save us from EU bureaucracy, but just a way to de-regulate to squeeze the maximum out of the working population. Remember that this is the year that the threat of the retirement age being shifted to 75 came a large step closer to reality, we now start to see a government starting to plan for this deregulation in a post-Brexit economy. If they are allowed to continue to move towards their preferred position, a lot of people can expect to not see any form of retirement as well as working longer for less in the long run.

Ow they will soon realise once we are out of the EU just how many rights the EU enshrined for working people. I have read some extreme ideas that the likes of Priti Patel and Domininc Raab have to get 'British people working'. The pure fact that Boris Johnson has withdrawn the legal obligation of the British Government to be broadly aligned with the EU on the rights of working people tells you all you need to know about his intentions. They will soon find out once Johnson has his majority and we are out of the EU. Fortunately it will show the likes of Johnson, Patel and Raab for what they really are. And they should be swiftly out of the door once they reveal their true intentions.

Howardh

Established Member
Can we have a separate Election '19 thread if it goes ahead - as there will be other issues to discuss other than Brexit (railways springs to mind)?!!

alex397

Established Member
Fortunately it will show the likes of Johnson, Patel and Raab for what they really are. And they should be swiftly out of the door once they reveal their true intentions.

I think they are already showing their true colours, and few people seem to care. A bit like how Trump can do no wrong amongst his supporters - and Trump has revealed his true colours more than I thought it could be possible.

Howardh

Established Member
Well mark Francois suggested Britain would "explode" today if we hadn't left the EU. Well we haven't and I'm wondering if it's safe to pop outside for a pint of milk? What riots and explosions are happening near you?

AM9

Veteran Member
Well mark Francois suggested Britain would "explode" today if we hadn't left the EU. Well we haven't and I'm wondering if it's safe to pop outside for a pint of milk? What riots and explosions are happening near you?
I think that Francois himself is more likely to explode one day. :)

AM9

Veteran Member
One can but hope. :)
I think he might when he realises that enthusiasm for leaving, (especially with no-deal) is shall we say, a niche aspiration. In fact leaving in anyway is unlikely to be a maqjority desire, which is probably who the leave mouthpieces are so frightened of a public vote on the subject.

Pyreneenguy

I think he might when he realises that enthusiasm for leaving, (especially with no-deal) is shall we say, a niche aspiration. In fact leaving in anyway is unlikely to be a maqjority desire, which is probably who the leave mouthpieces are so frightened of a public vote on the subject.

All well and good having a second vote, the problem will be motivating younger voters. As things stand it is the over 55's who are deciding Brexit and will probably decide the outcome of the forthcoming General Election.

Take a look at the detailed analysis by YouGov of the 2017 election.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...06/13/how-Britain-voted-2017-general-election

It's the mostly, comfortably well off older age group that decide matters, General Election or Brexit.

The outcome of a second vote would probably be even tighter than in 2016, nevertheless, this is still my ideal outcome.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The guy can't even articulate *why* he wants to leave. For him, it's a petty, childish, wanting to 'win' - not the interests of the country or his constituents. The sort of man who should, frankly, be banned from ever being an MP.

kermit

Tomorrow I will wake up and still be in Europe. For that small mercy (however temporary), I am deeply grateful.

Wombat

Ask someone who wants a "no-deal" Brexit to give you one good reason for their decision, (tip; don't hold your breath).
Well, if I had bet a large sum of money on the pound tanking in the near future, I would have an excellent reason for wanting a no-deal Brexit. Of course I'd be an utterly appalling sociopath for wanting to enrich myself at the expense of an entire nation, but then again if I'm a sociopath that probably won't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.