• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Migration Crisis - Rail Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The scenes of distress in southern/eastern Europe are shocking.
The rail system is now badly affected in Hungary, and international trains are stopped.
This must be causing a great deal of disruption for regular passengers.

This is the advice from MAV-START: http://www.mavcsoport.hu/havaria/direct-trains-towards-western-europe-temporarily-stopped

For safety reasons as of 8 am Thursday the 3rd September the Hungarian Railway company decided not to run the direct trains from Budapest towards Western Europe until further measures.

International tickets are accepted aboard of domestic trains. Trains to Austria depart from Hegyeshalom border station and also arrives back there. Trains of the Northern line towards Western Europe through Slovakia and the Czech Republic depart from Szob border station and also arrives back there.

We inform our passengers that the railjet trains between Budapest – Hegyeshalom and the international trains between Budapest – Szob are temporarily cancelled also on their domestic section. For travelling to Győr we advise to use the passenger trains marked by S10 sign departing from Budapest Déli.

All entrances can be used at Keleti Railway Station
EuroNight trains, 462 Kálmán Imre and 466 Wiener Walzer will depart also from Hegyeshalom at 22.51. EuroNight train 476 Metropol departs from Szob at 21.11

Looks like it is a case of making your way by domestic trains to border stations where international trains will be starting.
I did wonder if trains from Vienna to/from Budapest were terminating at Kelenföld in the southern suburbs, away from Keleti, but evidently it's all stopped.
I stayed at a hotel near Keleti last year before travelling to Poland.
It must be quite a scary time there, even without the disruption.
The statues of James Watt and George Stephenson overlook the chaos.
The pictures of a packed train going to an unknown destination which turns out to be a guarded camp are very troublesome.

This is on top of disruption which keeps erupting around Calais.
The BBC was reporting that extra security at the Eurotunnel terminal was causing migrants to invade SNCF lines and stopped Eurostar trains again a couple of days ago.

Let's hope there's a solution soon, though the governments seem paralysed at the moment.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I'm actually booked Munich - Budapest on the Railjet on 13th October, so I'll wait and see what happens in the meantime. I'm in Munich most of the year and saw a steady number of arrivals earlier in the year, but nothing like the numbers now trying to make the journey.

thenorthern

Established Member
The Eurostar trains have been disrupted I know there was a 4 hour delay yesterday.

Ianigsy

Having been delayed a day going on holiday in June/July due to the Calais problems, personally I won't be booking Eurostar for leisure again until this is played out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It does seem such issues are not going to disappear any time soon, but it could be said that the cold of Winter, at Calais but especially in Central Europe, may quieten things down a little.

One rather hopes that the reason for said "quietening down" does not relate to deaths from the cold. As a society we need to be better than that.

WestCoast

Established Member
One rather hopes that the reason for said "quietening down" does not relate to deaths from the cold. As a society we need to be better than that.

One hopes not. I suspect if it's -10C outside or blizzard conditions you're less likely to risk leaving your camp in Hungary and walk to the Austrian border. Or camp outside Budapest Station. Then again, if you've left your country in a rubber dinghy out of desperation maybe you would.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
One hopes not. I suspect if it's -10C outside or blizzard conditions you're less likely to risk leaving your camp in Hungary and walk to the Austrian border. Or camp outside Budapest Station. Then again, if you've left your country in a rubber dinghy out of desperation maybe you would.

Most were 'camping' in the hall underneath Keleti that is part of the route to the metro. This gave shade from the sun. It was about 35C last week in Hungary.
It would also give some protection from the wind in winter, but on minus 0 C days it would still be awfully cold.

WestCoast

Established Member
Most were 'camping' in the hall underneath Keleti that is part of the route to the metro. This gave shade from the sun. It was about 35C last week in Hungary.
It would also give some protection from the wind in winter, but on minus 0 C days it would still be awfully cold.

That's the thing with much of Central Europe compared to say the climate of the UK I find, generally warm or very warm in Summer and often very cold in Winter. When I am in Munich, it always amazes me that they manage to get trains running at all on some days.

Groningen

Established Member
It appears than trainservice between Flensburg (Germany) and Padborg (Danmark) have stopped. Also the ferryservice from Puttgarden to Rodby are subject to 1 boat in the harbour and others waiting on sea.

Ianigsy

A rather garbled translation suggests that the border section is being covered with buses- looks more like an operational decision because DSB can't maintain the timetable with additional border checks in place (although the train ferry service does seem to have gone up the wall, as has already been noted).

It is so far not possible to travel to and from Germany by train.
This is because the police work at the borders.

International trains via Rodby Ferry

The trains run only between Copenhagen H and Rodby Ferry. Trains are cancelled between Puttgarden and Hamburg. It is not possible to walk to and from the ferry in Rodby Ferry and putt.

International trains via Padborg
Trains only run to and from Tinglev. Between Tinglev and Padborg / Flensburg runs Togbusser.

InterCity trains between Flensburg and Copenhagen / Østerport
Trains only run to and from Tinglev. Between Tinglev and Padborg / Flensburg runs Togbusser.

How we expect to run Thursday

You still can not get the train to / from Germany, if you travel via Rodby Ferry / putt.

We expect to run with the trains to and from Flensburg. From Flensburg trains run on towards Hamburg.

Howardh

Established Member
I could have used Eurostar last month but decided against it and flew to Amsterdam. There must be many put off from Eurostar and it beginning to hit their pockets; I bet bookings for the next three months are down?
If so, what can Eurostar do? Dirt cheap tickets??

thenorthern

Established Member
Denmark canceled all services between the country and Germany last Tuesday but I think they were back up and running on Wednesday. I think also the ferries to Sweden were cancelled as well. At the present moment the railways between Germany and Denmark are running from what I can see although they are likely to be disrupted again.

I think the reason why the railways were suspended is because Denmark is the main passage for Asylum Seekers to reach Sweden which the Danish Government isn't happy about as like the United Kingdom they have an opt-out from EU proposals.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I have been getting an increasing number of marketing 'begging' emails and social media offers from Eurostar since the economic migrant crisis escalated so it must be affecting bookings. A real big test will be if there is any disruption on the Prix de l'Arc weekend in Oct. 20000+ very ****ed up racegoers travelling that weekend will not be pretty if it all grinds to a halt. No spare capacity on flights that weekend either if it all goes wrong.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Just had an email from Eurostar "We are taking action", apologising for recent disruption in the Calais area and outlining the actions they are taking to provide a reliable service. Summarising:
- more police and quicker response
- clearing undergrowth from beside the tracks making it harder for trespassers to hide
- more fencing being built.

thenorthern

Established Member
I have been getting an increasing number of marketing 'begging' emails and social media offers from Eurostar since the economic migrant crisis escalated so it must be affecting bookings. A real big test will be if there is any disruption on the Prix de l'Arc weekend in Oct. 20000+ very ****ed up racegoers travelling that weekend will not be pretty if it all grinds to a halt. No spare capacity on flights that weekend either if it all goes wrong.

Just had an email from Eurostar "We are taking action", apologising for recent disruption in the Calais area and outlining the actions they are taking to provide a reliable service. Summarising:
- more police and quicker response
- clearing undergrowth from beside the tracks making it harder for trespassers to hide
- more fencing being built.

I suppose a big issue for Eurostar is they don't own the track they operate on or the Channel Tunnel and thus security of the terminal at Calais and the resulting delays because of fence breaches is out of their control.

I suspect though we will see more cut price Eurostar tickets in the near future.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
According to a press release just out by the German Government border checks are going to be introduced on the border with Austria from today. I wonder if this will affect the most direct Salzburg to Innsbruck services as the quickest way passes through Germany.

I have noticed as well Hungary is stepping up patrols on its border with Serbia but I am not sure if that will affect the railways as there should in theory be checks already.

Veteran Member
According to a press release just out by the German Government border checks are going to be introduced on the border with Austria from today. I wonder if this will affect the most direct Salzburg to Innsbruck services as the quickest way passes through Germany.

Hopefully no: they used to reverse at Rosenheim but there's been an avoiding curve for 20 years or so, which means no need to stop.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Man in Seat 61 has a passenger account of a Salzburg-Munich journey during the recent events.
Worth a read, as it points up some of the practical issues that arise for regular rail travellers.
http://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.VfWQdDZRHIU

Perhaps because of the general migraton problems, my passport was checked on the Schengen rail border between Portugal and Spain last week (Porto-Vigo train).

thenorthern

Established Member
Hopefully no: they used to reverse at Rosenheim but there's been an avoiding curve for 20 years or so, which means no need to stop.

I think they will end up with a similar situation to the old West German "Ghost Stations" although in a much friendlier situation where trains will pass through Germany although there will be no stations do disembark.

Its important to note though on the continent most countries have mandatory ID cards and some have mandatory carry laws and in any case most Europeans carry their ID cards at all times in any case so its not too difficult for citizens crossings the borders.

By the looks of things I reckon we will see more temporary border controls next week across the continent particularly in countries that border Germany.

Strange question but do most the checks happen on the train or at the station?

Veteran Member
From a comment on Drehscheibe-online I understand that the Korridorverkehr is diverted, presumably via Zell am See.

deltic

Established Member
German Government has told DB to stop services between Austria and Germany from 18.00 tonight to 07.00 tomorrow

thenorthern

Established Member
From a comment on Drehscheibe-online I understand that the Korridorverkehr is diverted, presumably via Zell am See.

Just seen all services between Austria and Germany are suspended for the time being so I think there will be quite a few red face commuters in the Salzburg, Kufstein and Innsbruck area finding out their services will be taking longer tomorrow morning.

I have noticed that the Czech Republic is also introducing checks at their border with Germany for the same reason and I think the Denmark - Germany Border is likely to be closed next week given that Denmark is currently being used as a transit country to reach Sweden by migrants given that it has already been closed before.

To be honest I think though its incidents like this that will lead to the European Countries particularly Germany saying enough is enough this crisis must end given that for many border towns freedom of movement and Privileged transit traffic is essential for many residents.

Off topic question where is the railtrack between Hungary and Serbia where the migrants cross that is shown on television when covering the crisis and is it still open to passenger traffic?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Off topic question where is the railtrack between Hungary and Serbia where the migrants cross that is shown on television when covering the crisis and is it still open to passenger traffic?

It appears to be the crossing between Horgoš (Serbia) and Röszke (Hungary).
This is on a minor line between Subotica and Szeged.
The only other rail crossing is the electrified main line further west between Subotica and Kelebia (for Budapest).
The Thomas Cook timetable shows 3 daily trains on the minor route.

Groningen

Established Member
It seems that yesterday a ICE from Muenchen to Berlin was completely emptied for regular passengers and replaced by people from outside Europe. Passengers had to book other trains.

On Saturday (September 12th) more than 12.000 people arrived in Muenchen. In the last 2 weeks this town received 63.000 from the southeast. Question is: when will it stop?

thenorthern

Established Member
It seems that yesterday a ICE from Muenchen to Berlin was completely emptied for regular passengers and replaced by people from outside Europe. Passengers had to book other trains.

On Saturday (September 12th) more than 12.000 people arrived in Muenchen. In the last 2 weeks this town received 63.000 from the southeast. Question is: when will it stop?

Difficult to say although I think the rail disruption may end soon as commuters start getting fed up with the disruption.

Groningen

Established Member
Difficult to say although I think the rail disruption may end soon as commuters start getting fed up with the disruption.

I do not think that commuters are sitting in those trains. Around Muenchen it is mainly the S-Bahn that brings people to the bavarian capital. If those people should stay with no legal papers, they can be anyone they want to be. New date of birth, nationality; sorry call me what you want, but if there was a finishline i could agree with i have some understanding, but i think we (or them) have opened the floodgates.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think that there may be border controls between the Netherlands and Germany at the moment and there are going to be other checks in Germany.

Does anyone know the current status of the Innsbruck to Salzburg trains?

Groningen

Established Member
Detour over Zell am See with a delay of 90 minutes. Freilassing - Salzburg Liefering is closed.

thenorthern

Established Member
From what I can gather at the moment Hungary is effectively closed off to all passengers to/from Schengen countries without passing through border checkpoints.

Trains between Croatia and Hungary are disrupted by the looks of it although Croatia is not in Schengen. What is happening with the trains in Dubrovnik as given its location and the fact that its an exclave.

Status
Not open for further replies.