• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320 / Class 374 "Velaro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlippyFF

I'm about 99% certain that the 07:01 St Pancras to Paris Nord is a 374. When I'm working a certain shift, it thundering past my house around 07:28 is my 'virtual' third alarm call.

The other safe bet for 374 is anything that doesn't serve Ashford.

Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Just booking a trip to Paris in April and the 1701 departure off Paris on a Sunday afternoon has 16 coaches according to the seat selector. Very excited to chance on this.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suppose it could be possible to guess which services use 374s based on your seat reservation as the layout of the two is different - longer coaches mean higher seat numbers. That is my theory but I have not checked whether I can see/choose the seats before booking :oops:.

Annoyingly you can only see this info after booking and payment.

Presumably it limits the ability of airlines etc. to trawl through the booking sites to see how busy Eurostar trains are at certain times of day, but it does mean you can't check if a train has several seats together.

The times booked for an e320 do give a very different seat booking screen however, so very easy to tell if you have picked one.

andrewkeith5

Just booking a trip to Paris in April and the 1701 departure off Paris on a Sunday afternoon has 16 coaches according to the seat selector. Very excited to chance on this.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Annoyingly you can only see this info after booking and payment.

Presumably it limits the ability of airlines etc. to trawl through the booking sites to see how busy Eurostar trains are at certain times of day, but it does mean you can't check if a train has several seats together.

The times booked for an e320 do give a very different seat booking screen however, so very easy to tell if you have picked one.

Out of interest in what way is the booking screen so different? I can only think of the number of carriages and seat layouts...

I'll try and post a trip report and pictures if I get a Velaro on my trip in March.

Alfie1014

Had my first trips on an e320 last week. Like the curate's egg I liked some parts but wasn't so keen on others. Firstly the larger loading gauge makes the interiors more spacious than the e300, however the harder seats combined with a typically 'Germanic' suspension results in a harder ride than that the bouncy TGV e300s. The lighting seems harsher, though the large expanses of white wall covering doesn't help. Some minor niggles, the wi-fi didn't work, the large rubbish bins in the middle of both cars (different sets) came open randomly with a large crash, (enough to wake those sleeping with a start), the CIS started displaying our imminent arrival at St Pancras as we were passing Stade de France! There is insufficient distinction between the Standard and Standard Premier class, as a result passengers were wandering into SP to look for the buffet or put their luggage in the racks. The beige seat covers in SP were already showing signs of staining, which were not apparent on the dark brown covered seats. Overall an 8/10.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Out of interest in what way is the booking screen so different? I can only think of the number of carriages and seat layouts...

I'll try and post a trip report and pictures if I get a Velaro on my trip in March.

On a PC screen anyway, the look of the selection screen is quite different - it is instantly obvious it is something different to the normal Eurostar. I didn't get a screencap, sorry.

The fact that std. class is in the middle, coaches have massive toilets at the end and lots more plugs also gives the game away.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
On a PC screen anyway, the look of the selection screen is quite different - it is instantly obvious it is something different to the normal Eurostar. I didn't get a screencap, sorry.

The fact that std. class is in the middle, coaches have massive toilets at the end and lots more plugs also gives the game away.

Just booked a Paris day trip for next month (out 0755 back 1601) and from the seating plan looks like a Velaro both ways. Exciting!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just booked a Paris day trip for next month (out 0755 back 1601) and from the seating plan looks like a Velaro both ways. Exciting!

Make sure you use the seating plans on "Seat61" to avoid picking a seat which has a lovely view of plastic :)

Retorus

Had my first trips on an e320 last week. Like the curate's egg I liked some parts but wasn't so keen on others. Firstly the larger loading gauge makes the interiors more spacious than the e300, however the harder seats combined with a typically 'Germanic' suspension results in a harder ride than that the bouncy TGV e300s. The lighting seems harsher, though the large expanses of white wall covering doesn't help. Some minor niggles, the wi-fi didn't work, the large rubbish bins in the middle of both cars (different sets) came open randomly with a large crash, (enough to wake those sleeping with a start), the CIS started displaying our imminent arrival at St Pancras as we were passing Stade de France! There is insufficient distinction between the Standard and Standard Premier class, as a result passengers were wandering into SP to look for the buffet or put their luggage in the racks. The beige seat covers in SP were already showing signs of staining, which were not apparent on the dark brown covered seats. Overall an 8/10.
That seems a very generous score considering all the problems you listed. :lol:

Alfie1014

I think the jury is still out in my opinion. Hopefully the teething problems will be sorted. I've not yet travelled on a refurbished original set as this will be a valid comparitor.

southern442

Established Member
I have heard that the Eurostar staff call the 374's 'Ikea trains'. Apparently seats are hard, ride quality isn't great and they feel overall a bit flat-pack.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I had planned to experience my first e320 a few weeks back on my way back from Paris.

Unfortunately, power issues in the tunnel led to a set swap to an e300 (leading to all the seats needing to be changed).

Turning up close to 30 minutes before, we were directed to a manual check-in, to be told "I'm terribly sorry, the only seats we have together will be in Standard Premier". Cue free upgrade, meal included! And still got £32 in vouchers from our delayed arrival...

33Hz

I listed the faults in the thread in the international section - but in a nutshell, disappointing. The ICE3 is far superior for passenger comfort. Eurostar should have just bought some and painted them blue.

38Cto15E

I happened to see one of these 374 Velaros at St Pancras the other day
, now it has got me thinking of having a trip to Belgium and back, do I understand it that the Velaros are only on the Paris run at the moment?
If so, any idea when they will be on the Brussels leg?
TIA

southern442

Established Member
And I trust that you've been in an IEP enough to come to that conclusion then?

Looks like I did say it out loud then :lol:

The fact is, the interior is the same as a 377/6 with squarer seats and bigger tables, the door design has been widely criticized, the grab handles in standard class were so utterly pointless that they had to be re-designed, hardly a Great British railway classic is it? I know there will be some people that will really like the new units but at least from my own point of view I know that I am not going to like them and many more will also find them a step-down from the (recently refurbished might I add) HST's and Electra trains.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Sorry to get all technical but. As of week commencing 14/03/2016 I have gathered that all but one pair of the Velaros are in service, its the 7th pair which I reckon would be 374013 & 374014. Apparently this pair (so one train) is on test in Holland !. Can anyone elaborate that ?.

I have not recorded three pairs (374001 +002, 374003 +004 & 374013 +014) at St Pancras and I gather that the first pair had only just entered service. Given that the first built units tend to be the last in service (doing more tests and not furnished) it makes sense that 374013 & 374014 are the odd one out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The fact is, the interior is the same as a 377/6 with squarer seats and bigger tables, the door design has been widely criticized, the grab handles in standard class were so utterly pointless that they had to be re-designed, hardly a Great British railway classic is it? I know there will be some people that will really like the new units but at least from my own point of view I know that I am not going to like them and many more will also find them a step-down from the (recently refurbished might I add) HST's and Electra trains.

Why decide you aren't going to like something before you have even set foot in it for the first time?

Brystar35

I love the British Rail Class 374, Eurostar e320 i think there beautiful EMU's holy Schnikes does it look beautiful and the way they sound when they start oh man it sounds amazing. Has anybody been on the British Rail Class 374 yet? and if so how is the interior and the ride in general?

andrewkeith5

Having travelled on the 'traditional' Eurostars, the Velaro e320, and every subclass of the 377 and 387 in use south of London, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

The Velaro e320 is vastly superior to all of them - the seats are more than comfortable enough for a journey longer than the 2:30 most people are likely to spend on them, the interior feels extremely spacious, and is a very nice environment. Infinitely better than the horrendous 'traditional' Eurostars which are cramped, uncomfortable, drab interiors and always seem to be far too hot.

I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that the e320 was anything at all like the 377/6 - I can assure you they are absolutely not!

The only slight niggle I have with the e320 really is that the seats could do with all being shifted around 60-75cm towards the toilet end of the train, then they'd all line up better with windows. But actually, realistically, you do actually get a fairly good view even if you're not immediately next to the window anyway.

I would also go so far as to say that the standard class interior of the e320 is a much nicer place to be than the standard class interior of a FGW/GWR HST - the seats are just as tall, but they still feel much more spacious in an e320. The ride quality is certainly far better than any HST or 377 I've been on.

Last edited:

33Hz

Having travelled on the 'traditional' Eurostars, the Velaro e320, and every subclass of the 377 and 387 in use south of London, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

The Velaro e320 is vastly superior to all of them - the seats are more than comfortable enough for a journey longer than the 2:30 most people are likely to spend on them.

We must have travelled on different trains.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Got an email today telling me (with a little decoding) that the 0755 from St Pancras next Fri has been switched back to a 373. Let's hope I'm one of the lucky ones that's been reseated in Standard Premier.

Try turning up close to close of check-in after most other seats will have already been re-allocated. SP appears to be allocated once supply of Standard seats has been exhausted (also helps if there are 2 or more of you, as e* are keen to avoid splitting groups up)

Alfie1014

Had another trip on an e320 over Easter. Was more impressed this time, perhaps they are settling down? Was seated in a different coach and the ride was much better. The CiS and wi-if was working properly and in performance terms they certainly seem to out do the e300s. Never had such a speedy departures from Gare du Nord and Ebbsfleet.

Travelled out on the Marseilles service which was formed of the fully refurbished e300 set 3015/6, equally impressed the refurbishment which gives a much more modern feel and combined with the TGV ride quality, much quieter too, but of course only the end vehicles are motored. Hope ES will decide to do a similar job a decent number of these sets as they are a good companion to the new e320s. Was impressed with the through service it certainly was impressive to arrive in Lyon at lunchtime after leaving London at breakfast time. That said the 07:19 departure time make it impossible to use unless you live close to London or stay overnight beforehand.

southern442

Established Member
I do apologise for having a strong opinion that is also held by a good few other people.

That aside, how many are in service? And I'm assuming its just Paris services they are booked on for now. Where else are they planned to run to (aside from the Netherlands services because the class 373's cannot run there)

Status
Not open for further replies.