• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320 / Class 374 "Velaro"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Q3R7NcZuA

A little noisy inside but I think that might have been filmed in the tunnel, don't know if them fluorescent yellow doors in the background are the fire doors

You absolutely cannot tell how noisy it is from someone's video taken on a phone. The variables of the microphone quality, recording volume setting, upload volume setting and your playback volume setting entirely defeat any assessment

Martin222002

A little noisy inside but I think that might have been filmed in the tunnel, don't know if them fluorescent yellow doors in the background are the fire doors

I'm not sure but I think that is actually the inside newly refurbished pair e300 class 373s, which would make sense given the 374s aren't in passenger service yet (as far as I'm aware).

MCR247

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it is a 373, the windows on Velaros don't look like that AFAIK

jon0844

Veteran Member
You absolutely cannot tell how noisy it is from someone's video taken on a phone. The variables of the microphone quality, recording volume setting, upload volume setting and your playback volume setting entirely defeat any assessment

It depends on the phone I guess. Many modern phones, with multiple mics, are quite incredible at recording audio and can be used in multiple environments (even concerts) with great results.

The bigger issue here is clearly whether it's the right train, and it would seem it's a 373 with the, rather incredible, refurbishment. With that interior, it seems crazy to think any trains would be removed from service and scrapped.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There was an e320 in St Pancras about 1115 on Monday and I passed another one going away from St Pancras near Ebbsfleet about 1330 today. Mind you today any resemblance to the timetable was purely coincidental - apparently the French also have cable thefts!

Skimble19

Established Member
It depends on the phone I guess. Many modern phones, with multiple mics, are quite incredible at recording audio and can be used in multiple environments (even concerts) with great results.

The bigger issue here is clearly whether it's the right train, and it would seem it's a 373 with the, rather incredible, refurbishment. With that interior, it seems crazy to think any trains would be removed from service and scrapped.

Must admit I completely agree.. That interior, if it is the 373, is amazing compared to what they are now..!

jopsuk

Veteran Member

true, but I think I can hear people turning the page on a newspaper in that... needs more easily identifiable noises to compare, plus it's in a tunnel!

33Hz

That most definitely is a refurbished 373. Apart from the fact that 374s are not in service yet, there are many differences including the 374 having TV screens in the roof and luggage racks at intermediate locations along the coach.

See http://paulbigland.zenfolio.com/p1049835017/h17b1b6aa

http://paulbigland.zenfolio.com/p1049835017/h2b000924

I agree with the comments that it is too bright. One of the things I value about the current interiors is the subdued lighting and cosy nature of the seats. It now looks like the refurb FGW did a few years ago. Generic.

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
I see that some 374 carriages have two doors whilst most have one. Why is that?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with the comments that it is too bright. One of the things I value about the current interiors is the subdued lighting and cosy nature of the seats. It now looks like the refurb FGW did a few years ago. Generic.

I don't agree. The lighting is a mix of indirect and spots, not at all like the horrid fGW direct daylight lighting.

33Hz

Got to St Pancras early, thought I would pop upstairs on the off chance and voila I was rewarded with this.

I thought I might get a closer look from the upstairs of the lounge, but unfortunately by the time I cleared security the adjacent platform was occupied.

It does look a bit like a snake that's eaten a mouse though :D

Attachments

• 20151104_115811-1.jpg
    20151104_115811-1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 189

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Coach 2/15 has the 1st class Galley. Coach 8/9 has the Bar- these are the coaches with two sets of doors. Looking at ICE3/Velaro seating plans, it seems very operator dependent whether or not a carriage has one or two sets of doors.

Last edited:

33Hz

By the way, it pulled out of St P while I was still in the lounge. Still distinct and loud.

hulabaloo

Saw it belt past me on the Medway Bridge on Monday on the way to work.

So so quiet compared to its predecessor.

RobShipway

Established Member
Last I read in any Rail magazines was that the start date for the e320's is 20th November 2015.

Alfie1014

Reported on Twitter (not by me) that the e320 entered passenger service today as planned. Launch probably kept low key in light of recent events.

Blamethrower

I was at StP last week and there was an e320 loading passengers for Paris in what looked like a schedule service (9005 I think)

Yes it's new, yes it's nice, by my god it's lardy! Aside from the driving trailers, the windows and wheels are just lost in that fat bulk. Much prefer the old ICE3s, they look just a little less lardy.

33Hz

Following the news that an e320 worked the 10.24 on 20th November, is this a regularly diagrammed slot for it now?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I was at StP last week and there was an e320 loading passengers for Paris in what looked like a schedule service (9005 I think)

Yes it's new, yes it's nice, by my god it's lardy! Aside from the driving trailers, the windows and wheels are just lost in that fat bulk. Much prefer the old ICE3s, they look just a little less lardy.

What do you mean by lardy?

davetheguard

Established Member

Hopefully it won't be "lardy" in its performance though (which I suppose would make it "tardy").

Status
Not open for further replies.