• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320 / Class 374 "Velaro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Apols if I've missed the answer, but are the 374s articulated?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Apols if I've missed the answer, but are the 374s articulated?

No they are not.

siemens-velaro-e320-eurostarfuer-674134.jpg

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Judging by the above picture I now know why I have difficulty reading the numbers - especially in the dark :oops:.

Nice pic btw.

D365

Veteran Member
Judging by the above picture I now know why I have difficulty reading the numbers - especially in the dark :oops:.

Nice pic btw.

Doesn't look as if any identifying numbers have been applied - they don't often do so until after initial testing.

It's not mine, just for the record, I just googled for a pic that would demonstrate the non-articulated carriages!

philjo

Established Member
One of the 374 sets was in platform 7 at St Pancras about 5pm this evening. As it was next to a 373 set a few differences were apparant. the 374 coaches are taller (except the driving cars) and the driver's windscreen was a lot wider (the 373 windscreen is narrower though taller)

gazthomas

Established Member
I like the ICE3 units so I am looking forward to these. Commissioning does seem to take a long time though?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I appreciate we're dealing with lots of countries, different rules, signalling systems, staff training, maintenance, etc. etc.

flash

Currently, Driver training is taking place with the odd test run. Introduction is expected on 20th November.

notadriver

Established Member
Assuming they weigh roughly the same as a Eurostar (800 tons) power to weight roughly works out as

Class 373 (20 hp/ton)
Class 374 (26 hp/ton)
TGV-R (31 hp/ton)

RobShipway

Established Member
I cannot wait to travel to Cologne by train, but I am guessing that will not happen until sometime next year?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Does anyone know why the new units were not designed to be articulated? Is it not 'fashionable' now or are there sound engineering reasons why it has been moved away from. I am sure when that Eurostar derailed at very high speed in France some years back the articulation played an important part in the train staying upright, in line and not hitting the OHLE supports-a major cause of the Hatfield fatalities?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's simply that they're of an existing product family that uses long carriages each with their own bogies rather than shorter carriages with shared bogies

The class 374's will be going to Cologne sometime in the near future, they are just initially going to Amsterdam I believe?

I seem to recall that the Eurostar CEO said at the e320 launch, that Cologne would initially be via a connection at Brussels.
Meanwhile DB kicked it's London plans into the long grass some time ago.

Last edited:

MarlowDonkey

As it was next to a 373 set a few differences were apparant. the 374 coaches are taller (except the driving cars)

Presumably Continental loading gauge, meaning they cannot leave HS1. Did I read that 373s had their third rail collection shoes removed so they cannot leave either under their own power.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Presumably Continental loading gauge, meaning they cannot leave HS1. Did I read that 373s had their third rail collection shoes removed so they cannot leave either under their own power.

Yes, the Class 374 fleet are built to a more generous loading gauge and wouldn't be able to leave HS1 in the UK, as it stands at present.

The Class 373 fleet (those members that did retain their shoe gear prior to HS1's completion) have since had their third rail collection equipment removed, but that doesn't prevent them leaving HS1 - they can access the UK domestic 25kV AC network from the various connections to HS1 provided, subject to route clearance.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's one reason why the 374s are going to be quite a revelation for passengers, and why in years to come, HS2 is a good idea because it will also allow for bigger trains.

I do expect most passengers don't quite realise the difference. Imagine if we could have such large rolling stock on commuter routes? Decent 3+2 seating AND wide aisles, or 2+2 seating and ample standing room.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The Class 373 fleet (those members that did retain their shoe gear prior to HS1's completion) have since had their third rail collection equipment removed, but that doesn't prevent them leaving HS1 - they can access the UK domestic 25kV AC network from the various connections to HS1 provided, subject to route clearance.

The amount of power they draw might be too much

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It's one reason why the 374s are going to be quite a revelation for passengers, and why in years to come, HS2 is a good idea because it will also allow for bigger trains.

Except three quarters of the trains for Phase 1 of HS2 are anticipated to be "classic compatible", and thus built to UK1 gauge, with the remaining "captive" sets built to UIC GC gauge.

hulabaloo

I don't mean to venture too far off topic but I've always wondered if the TGV Duplex trains are able to run on HS1 and through the tunnel?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
they would fit, easily. They possibly wouldn't meat tunnel safety requirments for some arcane reason (but the design could almost certainly be modified to, the newest Duplex are an evolution of the original design- eg the 2N2 sets now being built are larger upstairs than the original series and Dayse builds.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
they would fit, easily. They possibly wouldn't meat tunnel safety requirments for some arcane reason (but the design could almost certainly be modified to, the newest Duplex are an evolution of the original design- eg the 2N2 sets now being built are larger upstairs than the original series and Dayse builds.

I suppose they wouldn't meet tunnel safety requirements because they are a full set rather than two half sets. TGVs are articulated (they share bogies between coaches. Class 373s also are articulated but are non articulated behind each power car and in the middle.

Class 374s are not articulated, so could in theory be split at any point in an emergency.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Class 374 can't be easily split in an emergency- except for at the middle. Just like the e300 the e320 are all half-length single ended units (so a different number on each end).

However DB, before they shelved the plans, had outline permission to run services using pairs of 8-car Velaro D. So the "long unit, able to split in the middle" restriction seems to be removed.

sarahj

Established Member
I could be wrong, but IIRC the plan for split trains was if there were issues, the train would be split and the other part would head off and away from the issue. They then found that in most issues where this would be needed (ie fires), the fires tended to cause slight 'issues' to the OHLE and there was no power to run the train. It was easier and better to evacuate the passengers away from the fire and either into a service tunnel, and then onto a train heading the other way in the next tunnel, or via service trucks.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I assume these new 374s are going to be used on specific services - is that correct ?. I assume this will have to be the case as the seating layout must be different between the 373s and 374s because the coach lengths are much different. The seat reservation system will have to know which type of train is on each service.

The next time I make a rare trip to France I would like to try one of the newer trains (374) so it would be nice to be able to tell which is which when booking. Only way I could guess is if the seat numbers I get are too high to be within the shorter 373 coach. Hang on my trips are so rare I cannot even recall if a seat reservation is mandatory :oops:.

Julian G

Established Member
I assume these new 374s are going to be used on specific services - is that correct ?. I assume this will have to be the case as the seating layout must be different between the 373s and 374s because the coach lengths are much different. The seat reservation system will have to know which type of train is on each service.

The next time I make a rare trip to France I would like to try one of the newer trains (374) so it would be nice to be able to tell which is which when booking. Only way I could guess is if the seat numbers I get are too high to be within the shorter 373 coach. Hang on my trips are so rare I cannot even recall if a seat reservation is mandatory :oops:.

They will be using the 374s on most of the Paris services to start with.

<snip>

given the 373s have run on the ECML up to Leeds for a fair period when leased to GNER ...

Status
Not open for further replies.