• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Crewe with PRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I am trying to get from Euston to Crewe with a PRIV but am trying to avoid paying the discounted SOR (I am coming back same day).

I have come up with...

EUS - MKC --> MKC - RUG --> West Mids Day Ranger

Much much cheaper than a SOR from EUS - Crewe.

Does the train from EUS need to call at MKC, and RUG for the split to be valid? cant remember what the rules when a day ranger is involved (which is bad when you are a conductor!)

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes the train will need to stop at Both MKC and RUG.

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Terminals - Milton Keynes = SDR £6.45 Virgin Trains Only
Milton Keynes - Rugby = SDR £3.30 Virgin Trains Only
West Midlands Day Ranger = £5.00 (valid after 09.00)
Total £14.75

However, there are only a few Virgin services which stop at both Milton Keynes and Rugby, meaning you would be limited to the slower London Midland services if travelling at certain times.

Depending on how important time is to you, it's £16.75 for an East Midlands 3 In 7 Rover (valid after 09.00). You could then combine this with a £6.45 London Terminals to Milton Keynes Virgin Trains Only SDR and then a Norton Bridge to Crewe £2.25 SDR. This would be valid on non-stop Virgin services from London to Crewe, provided you leave Milton Keynes after 09.00 (the boundary is actually Bletchley but it's cheaper to buy London to Milton Keynes). If you so desire you could then have two other days that week roaming around the East Midlands Rover area. Total £25.45.

Flying Snail

Established Member
There is a London Midland only SOR for £18.50 as well as the much more expensive Any Permitted Euston-Crewe, in case you need to travel before the rover validity.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
London Terminals - Milton Keynes = SDR £6.45 Virgin Trains Only
Milton Keynes - Rugby = SDR £3.30 Virgin Trains Only
West Midlands Day Ranger = £5.00 (valid after 09.00)
Total £14.75

However, there are only a few Virgin services which stop at both Milton Keynes and Rugby, meaning you would be limited to the slower London Midland services if travelling at certain times.

If you're changing at Milton Keynes Central for a LM service then the day ranger is valid from Northampton and Milton Keynes - Northampton SDR Priv is also £3.30.

THanks all for your help. we used my original option (in fact I'm on the train now!) However, coming back will be tricky as trains don't call at both rugby and Milton keynes. It was my understanding that when going from a rover to a point to point ticket, the train doesn't need to call at boundary (ie rugby)?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
THanks all for your help. we used my original option (in fact I'm on the train now!) However, coming back will be tricky as trains don't call at both rugby and Milton keynes. It was my understanding that when going from a rover to a point to point ticket, the train doesn't need to call at boundary (ie rugby)?
This only applies for tickets which are both zonal, or a minimum of seven consecutive days / 3 in 7 days.

However if you ask the guard before boarding then you may be allowed on a non-stop train. I once asked a FGW guard if I could combine a Priv 3 Day Thames Rover and a SDS Didcot to Bristol on a non-stop train and he said it was okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.