• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite train class

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

Past: Either Thumpers (205/207) or Ceps (411)

Present: Class 68 or 387 (used to love them on TL)

Future: Be interesting to see these new Stadler 93's (if they come off)

Last edited:

EssexGonzo

Well, as a worn down commuter, i would have to say that my current favourite is the 345. Not for the train itself but for the difference is is having on capacity and comfort. Class 700 on Thameslink for the same reason. They're very clever, very large and very high impact trains positively (now, at least) affecting the lives of many. As opposed to the long distance show-ponies that get all the attention and debate about how strong the coffee is in 1st class and whether the seats are made of horse or mink hair. :D

Future would have to be the 720s when they arrive, for the same reason. more capacity, more comfort (yes really, aircon anyone?) and they'll touch more people's lives. Of course, I live on that line so I do have bias.

Past: HST without a doubt, completely contradicting all of the above. It's the first train I can remember going on as a nipper. And it is deeply impressive that its still in service 40+ years later.

Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
My favourite classes are:

Past,
20’s on railtours,some even triple headed, doing 85mph down the GSWR on a railtours absolute hellfire.
31’s Birmingham-Ely etc, first trains travelled on my own to Aunt in Newmarket.
37’s on North Wales Coast, railtours, many hellfire runs, lots of thrash.
50’s on railtours,London Waterloo-Exeter etc, loads of high speed runs, good thrash, went to school near top of Lickey Bank, remember them thrashing over the summit.
55’s on railtours, Birmingham-Margate and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Cross country weekend trip, had some horrendous speeds down Shap and beattock due to undereading speedo, great thrash, never got to ride them in service.
56’s on railtours, great thrash, fast and powerful
58’s on railtours, powerful and when pushed fast machines, good thrash.
85’s had couple of trips on them at end of their life, made great noise.

Present
HST’s classic and believe they helped saved our railways, brilliant design.
390’s,just like the tilt, good fun blasting along the WCML, impressive trains.

Future
800-802, apart from hard seats,which i find ok, they seem pretty decent modern trains,and will be my main train down my neck of the woods for the next 20 or so years.
TPE Nova trains, Caledonian sleeper Mk5, ill be interested to see what they are like, they sound good and better than what on offer now,

Reason why not list much Present and future classes of trains is that modern stuff doesn’t have a patch on the past trains, i like trying out new stuff and they nice ride on but they just don’t give excitement the old locos and stock did, you don’t get the buzz when something unusual dropped on to a train, its all rather sterile, which not bad in itself, its just bit all the samey.

anamyd

On Moderation

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Past:

I think I can put 314s in here, seeing as they are going quick. Maybe not very glamorous, but I've always liked them.

Present:
InterCity 225s, probably the best InterCity train we've ever had
InterCity 125s, a close second for that
Class 385s look good

Future:
TPE's 397s look very good indeed, I look forward immensely to trying one when they enter service.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
My train riding experience is very limited, so here are my options, based from several years of external source collection (YouTube videos and Train Simulator basically):

Past:
Class 86/87s on the WCML. Great sounding and really unique locomotives in my opinion. And HSTs as well, though I am going to go out on a bit of a limb and say the VP185s are my favourite-sounding engines in them. I have ridden on VP185-powered HSTs, which probably helps.

Present:
For some reason I have taken a liking to AC Desiros, especially the Class 350s. I think they sound nice and look alright. I shall have to try and get a ride on one at some point.

Future:
Class 397s. I really want to ride one when they are put into service. They look really sleek and modern, and I have that feeling that they are going to be good trains.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There are a lot of posts putting HST's in the past section. They're not "past" just yet !

NoOnesFool

My favourite has to be the Class 222. Nearly 15 years old and still looking strikingly modern and smart. The design is very superior and the reliability is unbeaten. The ride quality, even at 125 is impressive, it's always a nice smooth pull with the trolley through the carriage.

Established Member
Past: N/A.
Present: Class 156, Class 319, Class 507, Class 508.
Future: Class 195, Class 331, Class 769.

Status
Not open for further replies.