• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trash80

Established Member
I found a great (well fascinating anyway) film on Youtube last night, The Killer Shrews is a now public domain horror film about... well killer shrews. Mad scientists, experiments out of control et cetera. It stars the bloke who later played Rosco P Coltrain in the Dukes of Hazzard.

Quite a weird little film. Not great by any means but watchable all the same.

TheNewNo2

Annihilation

Unlike the previous three major straight-to-Netflix contenders which were in their own way pretty atrocious (I'm especially looking at you, Cloverfield Paradox), Annihilation - a surreal sci-fi story based upon Jeff VanderMeer's novel - is a welcome addition to the streaming library and a great return for Alex Garland after his last outing with 2015's Ex Machina.

Natalie Portman's protagonist breathes life into this film, as do the visuals which instantly reminded me of images I'd only read of in early Ballard stories of shimmering, crystal forests and refracted sunlight. There's a woozy unease which forms the backdrop to this story, and it's pretty grisly in parts which is also a positive. If there's one small letdown it's that most if not all of it is obviously filmed in the UK in spite of its supposed coastal US setting. Even my own old office halfway down the M3 doubles as the John Hopkins University campus. That was surreal.

I'm really glad this made it to Netflix. The recent flood of trash seems to have been temporarily halted by a very decent and watchable film.

I watched that and I did not have quite the same reaction as you. I thought the visuals were yes, pretty stunning, but I can't say I really felt invested in the story. Though it was nice to see a team of women doing the usual walk into danger ****. 2.0/5.0

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Evolution -Comedy/Sci fi. Alien goo lands on earth and mutates into fantastical creatures. seems to try very hard to be ghostbusters (same director) but fails. It never seems to get going, the comedy doesn't work often enough although there are some funny parts. Not good really.

Happy Feet - Oscar winning animated penguin based rom com. Mumble, a young emperor penguin, needs to be able to sing to attract a mate, but he has a terrible voice. Instead, Mumble must express himself by tap dancing to win the girl. it is very sweet, very cute and harmless ( although with a couple of tense moments for the little ones) and popular with the kids. I secretly like it.

The Polar Express - On Christmas Eve, a young boy embarks on a magical adventure to the North Pole on the Polar Express, while learning about friendship, bravery, and the spirit of Christmas. A really popular kids film with great visuals, accurate to the source book but which the critics dealt with in a sniffy fashion. From an adult point of view it drowns in saccharin but as a film for a young family it is really good.

Sea Wolves - 1980 war film starring Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, Trevor Howard and David Niven based on the book Boarding Party by James Leasor, which itself is based on a real incident which took place in World War II. The incident involved Operation Creek, the Calcutta Light Horse's covert attack on 9 March 1943 against a German merchant ship, which had been transmitting information to U-boats from Goa. An old school rollicking war film in the vein of Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare. Good acting, good humour and a good bank holiday afternoon action romp where the Nazis get what they deserve and a stiff upper lip wins the day

Bridge of Spies - The film tells the story of lawyer James B. Donovan, who is entrusted with negotiating the release of Francis Gary Powers whose U-2 spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in 1960—in exchange for Rudolf Abel, a convicted Soviet KGB spy held under the custody of the United States, whom he represented at trial. It has a cold war Le Carre like feel, Hanks does his stuff very well and presents an interesting character and Spielberg puts together a slow burning, well poised espionage thriller with old fashioned Amercian/Western values at it heart. Films aren't often like this these days

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Po and his friends fight to stop a peacock villain from conquering China with a deadly new weapon, but first he must come to terms with his past. Great animation and a sequel that is perhaps better than the original. Good action, comedy and a bit of peril for the little ones. An enjoyable family film.

The Fugitive - After being wrongfully convicted for the murder of his wife, Dr. Richard Kimble ( Harrison Ford) escapes from custody and sets out to prove his innocence while pursued by a team of U.S. Marshals led by a fantastic Tommy Lee Jones ( who won an Oscar). I think this is a very good thriller with an energetic, pacy story-line and greater interplay between the two determined leads. Oddly you end up rooting for both of them. One to clear his name, the other to nail the real killer.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - The first of the new star wars trilogy and perhaps a reboot of star wars but who cares. It has all the bits we want: The Millennium Falcon, light sabers, X wings. tie fighters, Darth Vader alike etc. More importantly it has really strong female lead in Daisy Ridley and a superb performance from John Boyega. Did I mention the Millennium Falcon? I really like it and think it succeeds in launching a new generation of characters and carries on heritage of the previous films.

Lord of War - Nicholas Cage stars as an arms dealer confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol Agent. It is quite an intelligent look at the morality of the arms trade and some of the consequences of that trade but it doesn't quite make it stick.

RED - All star cast playing retired secret agents and killers having great fun. Decent enough, some funny lines and a good cast, nothing special but not a bad film.

Mr Holmes - Sir Ian McKellen plays an aged, retired Sherlock Holmes with early dementia, as he tries to remember his final case, and a mysterious woman, whose memory haunts him. He also befriends a fan, the young son of his housekeeper, who wants him to work again. it presents different view of Holmes and focuses on the man behind the story. I was a little disappointed that the emotional angle of the great man slowly loosing his mind didn't generate more care for the character. Decent, could be better.

The Terminal - Spielberg directs Tom Hanks as an eastern immigrant must take up temporary residence there in JFK airport after a revolution in his country renders him stateless. It is yet another solid effort from Tom Hanks who makes the film tick. It is funny, romantic and sentimental but under that is something almost Kafkaesque. The draw back for me is that I cant ever see that character getting a sophisticated Catherine Zeta Jones!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Indiana Jones is called back into action, when he becomes entangled in a Soviet plot to uncover the secret behind mysterious artifacts known as the Crystal Skulls. I love Indiana Jones. It is part of my childhood. it sadens me to say this is easily the worst film of the lot, They got a kid (Shia LaBeouf) in to do the running and it isnt very good at all. 19 years and that is the best they could come up with. Poor. Even Bum bum bum bum.... bum bum bum cant save it.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - The original and best. We all know what happens. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.

fowler9

Established Member
Evolution -Comedy/Sci fi. Alien goo lands on earth and mutates into fantastical creatures. seems to try very hard to be ghostbusters (same director) but fails. It never seems to get going, the comedy doesn't work often enough although there are some funny parts. Not good really.

Happy Feet - Oscar winning animated penguin based rom com. Mumble, a young emperor penguin, needs to be able to sing to attract a mate, but he has a terrible voice. Instead, Mumble must express himself by tap dancing to win the girl. it is very sweet, very cute and harmless ( although with a couple of tense moments for the little ones) and popular with the kids. I secretly like it.

The Polar Express - On Christmas Eve, a young boy embarks on a magical adventure to the North Pole on the Polar Express, while learning about friendship, bravery, and the spirit of Christmas. A really popular kids film with great visuals, accurate to the source book but which the critics dealt with in a sniffy fashion. From an adult point of view it drowns in saccharin but as a film for a young family it is really good.

Sea Wolves - 1980 war film starring Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, Trevor Howard and David Niven based on the book Boarding Party by James Leasor, which itself is based on a real incident which took place in World War II. The incident involved Operation Creek, the Calcutta Light Horse's covert attack on 9 March 1943 against a German merchant ship, which had been transmitting information to U-boats from Goa. An old school rollicking war film in the vein of Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare. Good acting, good humour and a good bank holiday afternoon action romp where the Nazis get what they deserve and a stiff upper lip wins the day

Bridge of Spies - The film tells the story of lawyer James B. Donovan, who is entrusted with negotiating the release of Francis Gary Powers whose U-2 spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in 1960—in exchange for Rudolf Abel, a convicted Soviet KGB spy held under the custody of the United States, whom he represented at trial. It has a cold war Le Carre like feel, Hanks does his stuff very well and presents an interesting character and Spielberg puts together a slow burning, well poised espionage thriller with old fashioned Amercian/Western values at it heart. Films aren't often like this these days

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Po and his friends fight to stop a peacock villain from conquering China with a deadly new weapon, but first he must come to terms with his past. Great animation and a sequel that is perhaps better than the original. Good action, comedy and a bit of peril for the little ones. An enjoyable family film.

The Fugitive - After being wrongfully convicted for the murder of his wife, Dr. Richard Kimble ( Harrison Ford) escapes from custody and sets out to prove his innocence while pursued by a team of U.S. Marshals led by a fantastic Tommy Lee Jones ( who won an Oscar). I think this is a very good thriller with an energetic, pacy story-line and greater interplay between the two determined leads. Oddly you end up rooting for both of them. One to clear his name, the other to nail the real killer.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - The first of the new star wars trilogy and perhaps a reboot of star wars but who cares. It has all the bits we want: The Millennium Falcon, light sabers, X wings. tie fighters, Darth Vader alike etc. More importantly it has really strong female lead in Daisy Ridley and a superb performance from John Boyega. Did I mention the Millennium Falcon? I really like it and think it succeeds in launching a new generation of characters and carries on heritage of the previous films.

Lord of War - Nicholas Cage stars as an arms dealer confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol Agent. It is quite an intelligent look at the morality of the arms trade and some of the consequences of that trade but it doesn't quite make it stick.

RED - All star cast playing retired secret agents and killers having great fun. Decent enough, some funny lines and a good cast, nothing special but not a bad film.

Mr Holmes - Sir Ian McKellen plays an aged, retired Sherlock Holmes with early dementia, as he tries to remember his final case, and a mysterious woman, whose memory haunts him. He also befriends a fan, the young son of his housekeeper, who wants him to work again. it presents different view of Holmes and focuses on the man behind the story. I was a little disappointed that the emotional angle of the great man slowly loosing his mind didn't generate more care for the character. Decent, could be better.

The Terminal - Spielberg directs Tom Hanks as an eastern immigrant must take up temporary residence there in JFK airport after a revolution in his country renders him stateless. It is yet another solid effort from Tom Hanks who makes the film tick. It is funny, romantic and sentimental but under that is something almost Kafkaesque. The draw back for me is that I cant ever see that character getting a sophisticated Catherine Zeta Jones!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Indiana Jones is called back into action, when he becomes entangled in a Soviet plot to uncover the secret behind mysterious artifacts known as the Crystal Skulls. I love Indiana Jones. It is part of my childhood. it sadens me to say this is easily the worst film of the lot, They got a kid (Shia LaBeouf) in to do the running and it isnt very good at all. 19 years and that is the best they could come up with. Poor. Even Bum bum bum bum.... bum bum bum cant save it.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - The original and best. We all know what happens. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.
I liked The Force Awakens. Thought The Last Jedi was absolutely awful. Struggled to watch it to the end, up there with Valerian for bad Sci Fi.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey, you’ve gone the full Barry Norman... :lol:

You’re just a big softy really aren’t you..? ;)
Bridge of Spies - The film tells the story of lawyer James B. Donovan, who is entrusted with negotiating the release of Francis Gary Powers whose U-2 spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union in 1960—in exchange for Rudolf Abel, a convicted Soviet KGB spy held under the custody of the United States, whom he represented at trial. It has a cold war Le Carre like feel, Hanks does his stuff very well and presents an interesting character and Spielberg puts together a slow burning, well poised espionage thriller with old fashioned Amercian/Western values at it heart. Films aren't often like this these days.
Yes, these are great films.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -

Even Bum bum bum bum.... bum bum bum cant save it.
What is Bum bum bum.... bum bum bum?
It is probably the worst Indiana Jones film as you say, but I quite enjoyed it until the absolutely ridiculous ending.

Yep. My childhood is this film. God knows how many times I’ve watched it over the years.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw one the other day on the "Talking Pictures TV Channel" Freeview 81, they have some good old films there. It was called "Flying Scot" and made by Anglo Amalamated at Beconsfield Studios in the late 1950s, although made in the UK, it seemed to be an all American cast with USA terminology. It was produced or directed by Peter Rodgers, I don't if the same one that did some of the Carry on Films. It was about a gang of crooks who were trying to rob mail bags without being discovered. It was quite good and showed quite alot of railway shots/scenes etc, including what appeared to be pre Mark 1, blood and custard carriages and steam locos, although how much of it was studio props was not too clear. It was filmed in black and white.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Munich - historical drama film produced and directed by Steven Spielberg around the events following the the Israeli government's secret retaliation against the Palestine Liberation Organization after the Munich massacre at the 1972 Summer Olympics. It is a exceptionally made and fantastic looking film with a complicated moral tone although while I think the script isnt brilliant it does work. it isnt an easy film to watch but it is worth watching

Steve Jobs - Danny Boyle directed biopic of the Apple Co-founder with a script by Arron Sorkin ( meaning LOTS of talking!) . Fassbender is superb in the lead role across the three acts of the film well supported by Kate Winslet and Jeff Daniels. A good and complicated film about a complicated man

Dante's Peak - Volcano based disaster picture starring Pierce Brosnan & Linda Hamilton. Scientific expert figures out a disater is looming but is ignored by all and sundry. Things go udders up and he must save the day which he does, just. Standard disaster movie fare.

Spotlight - Marc Ruffolo & Michael Keaton star in a The film about the "Spotlight" team of the Boston Globe and its investigation into cases of widespread and systemic child sex abuse in the Boston area by numerous Roman Catholic priests. An engrossing film that won an Oscar for best picture which is both compelling and focused on detail and newspaper procedure. A proper slow burning grown up film about heavy subjects that doesn't try to make an obvious hero of anyone and relies on a story and character to land a message. I think it is superb.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate edition -
The following words will be used to describe this film: Dull, boring, slow, stupid, bobbins, awful, terrible, pooh, pointless, confusing, rubbish, crazy, incoherent, humorless toss. I watched the directors cut as it was said to make more sense. It didnt. 3 hours of my life i will never get back

Heat - 1995 American crime film written, co-produced and directed by Michael Mann, and starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Val Kilmer. A brilliant film with the interplay between the obvious equals De Niro and Pacino being absolutely superb. The action scenes are also top notch.

Fight Club - A fantastic film but i am not sure how to describe it! Deep, clever, satirising, baffling, twisty, complex, iconic, violent, visceral, pretentiousness, philosophy, mental illness, trauma, fascism. I really like it.

RocknRolla - a crime comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie with an ensemble British cast. Decent enough. Standard cockney wideboy/gangster movie. Fun if not fantastic.

Green Mile - absorbing, powerful and emotional fantasy based on a Stephen King work of the same name. Hanks & Michael Clarke Duncan turn in great performances and although a long film it is really good.

The Fighter - Sporting biopic base on the lives of boxing brothers Micky Ward ( Mark Wahlberg) and his older half-brother Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale) . Won Oscars for awards for Best Supporting Actor (Bale) and Best Supporting Actress (Leo). It is a very good sports movie which deals more with the chaotic life of the bothers and especially substance addiction than boxing (although the boxing parts are very good). HArd watching at times but worth it.

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone epic starring Robert De Niro and James Woods. One of the great gangster pics but a cinematic failure thanks to botched editing and studio cuts. The proper film is truly epic in length and scale, it is violent, the characters are not likable but it is a classic.

ComUtoR

Established Member
RocknRolla - a crime comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie with an ensemble British cast. Decent enough. Standard cockney wideboy/gangster movie. Fun if not fantastic.

Guy Ritchie is a bit or a Marmite Director/Producer/Writer. Personally, I like him. If you are willing to take a risk and switch yourself into GeezerMode™ Then I would recommend his version of King Arfa' It's what would happen if my old junior school (I'm an old boy from Lambeth) did Camelot as a school play. Critically a total mess but its an interesting spin on an old classic. The cameo from Beckham should be edited from existence.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Downsizing - a couple decide to undertake a newly-invented procedure to shrink their bodies so they can start a new life in an experimental community. When the wife refuses the procedure at the last minute, the husband has to reassess his life and choices after befriending an impoverished activist. All star cast ( Damo, Woltz. Wiig). No where near as good as the idea or the cast should deliver. Some good ideas lost in a laboured and confused narrative. A disappointment despite the efforts of Woltz.

Die Hard 4.0 - Bruce Willis, vest, terrorists, guns, explosions but this time they are cyber terrorists! Standard preposterous action adventure - you know what you are going to get with a Die Hard film!
(btw - it called Live Free or Die Hard in the USA!)

Borg V McEnroe - biographical sports drama film focusing on the famous rivalry between famous tennis players Björn Borg and John McEnroe at the 1980 Wimbledon Championships. A really interesting character study between two outwardly opposite but inwardly similar people. It is also shot very well and recreates a period in detail with two expertly cast leads. Good.

Captain America: Civil War - Standard comic book superhero film. Enjoyable junk food for the mind. A set up for the next generation of the Marvel films.

Churchill - stars Brian Cox and focuses on the actions of Winston Churchill in the hours leading up to D-Day. Cox and Miranda Richardson turn in great performances but the film isnt as good as it should be. Watchable.

Guardians of the Galaxy - marvel superhero film but with a new crew! It seems a bit long bit it is clearly a set up for a franchise. Chris Pratt is good in the lead and the soundtrack is well placed. Enjoyable fun.

The Towering Inferno - one of the quintessential disaster movies with an all star cast. Steve McQueen & Paul Newman are their usual calm, cool & courageous selfs. Good special effects ( for the time) and well shot.

Blues Brothers - A fantastic film. Paroled convict Jake and his brother Elwood, set out on "a mission from God" to save the Catholic orphanage in which they were raised. It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.

2012 - Science fiction/disaster movie where the earth heats to dangerous levels and floods via melting ice caps. Really good cast but a really bad film.

The Lady in the Van - stars Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings as Alan Bennett ( who wrote the film), and it tells the (mostly) true story of his interactions with Mary Shepherd, an elderly woman who lived in a dilapidated van on his driveway in London for 15 years. It is poignant, funny, sweet, sad, moving, human, sharp and sympathetic production with Smith absolutely terrific in her lead role as Miss Shepherd, the “Lady in the Van”.

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!- Detective Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) tries to uncover a plan to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II, who is on a state visit to the USA. The main suspect is Vincent Ludwig, a rich businessman (Ricardo Montalbán of Khan fame), who uses a hypnotic device to turn others into murderers. Silly, cheesy, deadpan, stuffed with innuendo and very, very funny!

Brewster's Millions - a baseball player who unexpectedly falls into $300m inheritance but to get it he must spend 30 million dollars in 30 days. Classic Richard Pryor which i really enjoy even if the critics don't rate it.

Lost City of Z - portrays real events surrounding the British explorer Percy Fawcett, who was sent to Bolivia and made several, ultimately fatal, obsessive attempts to find a supposed ancient lost city in the Amazon. it is almost a modern remake of the old style epic exploration films being a slow burn, well shot and thought provoking. However it doesn't seem to use Sienna Miller very well and the non exploration scenes seem poorly done. Good if not quite great.

The Hurt Locker - The film follows an Iraq War Explosive Ordnance Disposal team who are targeted by insurgents, and shows their psychological reactions to the stress of combat, which is intolerable to some and addictive to other. Intense, intelligent, visceral, suspenseful, hard and very, very, very good. Won 6 Oscars.

The Abyss - An American submarine sinks in the Caribbean, the U.S. search and recovery team works with an oil platform crew, racing against Russian vessels to recover the boat. Deep in the ocean, they encounter something unexpected. Written and directed by director James Cameron & starring Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. First two hours are a classic example of a suspense Sci fi film but the end just doesn't work. It is silly and frankly ruins the good work earlier in the film.

5th Estate - biography of Wikileaks and it's founders. stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Julian Assange, and Daniel Brühl as his former spokesperson Daniel Domscheit-Berg. Cumberbatch is good as the odd lead character with lots of detail and context but it is middling. Perhaps it tries to do too much.

North by North West - 1959 American thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Cary Grant & Eva Marie Saint. The classic innocent man mistaken identity picture. Gripping, suspenseful, stylish, smooth, suave, paranoid and sophisticated. A classic.

Guy Ritchie is a bit or a Marmite Director/Producer/Writer.

I don't dislike Guy Ritchie but you know what you are going to get!

nlogax

Established Member
2012 - Science fiction/disaster movie where the earth heats to dangerous levels and floods via melting ice caps. Really good cast but a really bad film.

There’s something about that pre-apocalyptic movie genre. 2012, Geostorm, Day After Tomorrow, Armageddon. All bloody terrible films on the surface but I can’t stop watching them. Though I do draw the line at Independence Day: Resurgence. 110% dire.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There’s something about that pre-apocalyptic movie genre. 2012, Geostorm, Day After Tomorrow, Armageddon. All bloody terrible films on the surface but I can’t stop watching them. Though I do draw the line at Independence Day: Resurgence. 110% dire.

I like a disaster film but lots of the recent ones have been utter bobbins.

fowler9

Established Member
Ha ha. I'll agree with that. I do kind of enjoy seeing the world as we know it being destroyed, not in real life of course. Independence Day Resurgence wasn't great though.

whhistle

On Moderation
Downsizing - No where near as good as the idea or the cast should deliver. A disappointment despite the efforts of Woltz.

Brewster's Millions - a baseball player who unexpectedly falls into $300m inheritance but to get it he must spend 30 million dollars in 30 days. Classic Richard Pryor which i really enjoy even if the critics don't rate it.
Agree with this 100%.

I was so disappointed in Downsizing. It seemed to be a film from the Green party - so much so, we stopped watching it about 30 mins before the end. Only done that with one other film before.
Maybe I should re-write it into what it should have been.

Pacific Rim: Uprising - I enjoyed the first one, although I can't remember what IMDB rated it. A fairly good story, some questionable parts. However, the 2nd installment is clearly just trying to reboot the series. Not many of the cast from the first one and although the plot line is understandable, it's almost like "ohh, and suddenly this is how it is". A shame but at least I watched it until the end.

Game Night - I actually rather enjoyed it. A good film about a group of people who have a regular game night with friends, when something goes wrong. Had a couple of twists I didn't expect and some unlikely things, but overall, worth watching for a bit of fun.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Jaws - Man eating shark on the lose. Gonna need a bigger boat. Dreyfuss, Shaw & Scheider make a good team. The fact that the shark didn't work and so is rarely seen helps to great a really scary film. Spielberg put together a superb suspense/horror film and created a pop culture classic.

The Revenant - The film staring Leonardo DiCaprio is based in part on Michael Punke's 2002 novel of the same name, describing frontiersman Hugh Glass's experiences in 1823. it is a long, cold film with limited dialogue but it is an absorbing film built around a stunning performance from the lead coupled with fantastic cinematography which creates a stark, beautiful wilderness.

Pushing Tin - John Cusack & Billy Bob Thornton compete to be the top shot shot air traffic controller. It is OK, uit has the odd funny moment but it is nothing special.

Soylent Green - Classic Sci fi starring Charlton Heston & Edward G. Robinson in his final role. In the mid 21st century the earth is overcrowded and overheating. Food supplies are failing with most of the population surviving on rations produced by the Soylent Corporation. Their latest product is Soylent Green, a green wafer advertised to contain "high-energy plankton" from the World Ocean. As the film goes on detective Heston figures out the truth about the wonder food. Despite dating from 1973 it is still strangely prophetic and by simply swapping food for oil you have a convincing narrative for society today.

Noah - Russel Crowe stars as the titular biblical hero in what is a terrible film. It is just really poor sci and seems to try to m,ash together all kinds of myths and stories form all manner of faiths. I thought it was preposterous and frankly insultingly stupid.

Get Carter - classic 1971 British crime film directed by Mike Hodges and starring Michael Caine. A tense, hard-boiled, cold and brutal performance by Caine as the London gangster who returns home to Newcastle to avenge the death of his bother. It could be his seminal performance. It is a strangely American gangster movie set in the working class north east. It might be the best British gangster film ever made and it is one of my favorites.

Money Monster - stars George Clooney as Lee Gates, a TV personality who advises his audience on commerce and Wall Street, and who is forcefully interrogated by a grief-stricken bankrupt viewer who lost his money after a previous tip. it tires to land some really good points about money, Wall Street greed and corporate power but only lands powder puff blows. Should be better and even a good performance by Clooney cant turn it around. Shame.

The Ides of March - Political drama directed, produced and starring George Clooney takes place during the frantic last days before a heavily contested Ohio presidential primary, when an up-and-coming campaign press secretary (Ryan Gosling) finds himself involved in a political scandal that threatens to upend his candidate's shot at the presidency. It doesn't deliver any really exceptional or new statements about politics it is very well acted and worth watching for the acting performance.

Suburbicon - Great cast with what seems like an interesting premise but a very confused film which is not as good as you would hope. It is sadly very confused and doesn't manage to land any of the points it sets out to make especially the one about post war american racism.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - American action spy thriller film directed by Kenneth Branagh. Chris Pine, Kevin Costner, Branagh, and Keira Knightley star. It is entertaining enough if a bit of a by the numbers formulaic thriller.

American Psycho - A wealthy New York investment banking executive, Patrick Bateman, (Christian Bale) hides his alternate psychopathic ego from his co-workers and friends as he delves deeper into his violent, hedonistic fantasies. I think it is a violent, narcissistic, disturbing and cutting( almost satirical) attack on 1980's greed. I like it.

Monty Python's Life of Brian - a 1979 British religious satire comedy film starring and written by the comedy group Monty Python. Genius. One of the best.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - NASCAR racing comedy staring Will Ferrell. A standard Ferrell comedy: Gross, childish, silly. Not bad if not great.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Gross, childish, gross, silly, sweary and very funny bordering on satire. Very good.

All the President's Men - "The Washington Post" reporters Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) and Carl Bernstein (Dustin Hoffman) uncover the details of the Watergate scandal that leads to President Richard Nixon's resignation. A hymn to the freedom of the press and an accurate portrayal of investigative journalists which focuses on boring drudgery that leads to the big break through. I like it. It is proper, tense, old school thriller which has become a classic

whhistle

On Moderation
Coco - 8/10
Following the journey of a young boy who is desperate to play music but it's been disallowed by his family for generations. Learning more about his family and himself, there's many challenges he'll have to overcome.

It's one of those movies that adults and kids will enjoy alike. A little predictable but like Inside Out and Up, has a beautiful story, especially towards the end; brought tears to my eyes. Possibly even 9/10 - much better than I thought I'd give it.

The_Train

Established Member
Just watched Eye in the Sky and thought it was a good watch. Not only does it give an insight into the sort of decisions (whether right or wrong) that have to be taken in modern combat situations, it definitely shows the impact these decisions have on everyone involved from the enemy to innocent civilians right through to those people who push the button - particularly when it comes to the use of remote drones

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We went to the cinema last week (a treat from our girls!) and watched Bohemian Rapsody.
I thought it was excellent, especially the stuff set in the 1980s, it bought back lots of memories.
The guy playing Brian May was incredibly convincing.

fowler9

Established Member
We went to the cinema last week (a treat from our girls!) and watched Bohemian Rapsody.
I thought it was excellent, especially the stuff set in the 1980s, it bought back lots of memories.
Not a band I am really in to, death metal fan, but have heard it is a good film.

Butts

Veteran Member
It was not a bad film, but I think the original choice to play Mercury - Sacha Baron Cohen would have carried it off better.

However he wanted to explore the seedier side in more depth and was apparently fired.

fowler9

Established Member
It was not a bad film, but I think the original choice to play Mercury - Sacha Baron Cohen would have carried it off better.

However he wanted to explore the seedier side in more depth and was apparently fired.
I can imagine. Ha ha. Everyone I have spoken to says it is amazing though and that the guy who plays Freddie Mercury is amazing.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Not a band I am really in to, death metal fan, but have heard it is a good film.

Sacha Baron Cohen would have carried it off better.

We went last weekend to see Bohemian Rapsody last weekend. I thought it was a really good film with a superb performance by Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury ( the choreography alone must have been a task!). Also an honourable mention for Gwilym Lee as Brian May. Also really like the regeneration of 1980's Wembley for the Live Aid section. For some reason the film has been panned by the critics. They are clueless frankly. OK the story os fiddled with a bit but the central performances are worthy of watching alone.

I disgaree that Baron - Cohen would have been a better choice. The cast actor is really, really good. It is Freddie Mercury on stage.

BTW - God those stage shows must have been a force of nature!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Anon
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5397194/

A very dystopic look at the future of a fully connected world where an augmented reality is hardcoded into every human on the planet. Crime is easily solved because your entire point of view is constantly uploaded into the cloud. That is, until a hacker named Anon manages to delete herself.

I liked the premise and whilst the films eerie cinematography can be a little jarring, I'm not quite sure if it fits the narrative, the overall message comes through with enough to question where a connected world today starts to become a little dangerous and leans towards an Orwellian future. Any fan of Phillip K Dick will love this as I felt his influence throughout. It tries to be a thought provoking Sci-Fi thriller but lacks any punch or sense of drama. It does plod along and I feel the pace is deliberate but misses the mark because it comes across as a little one dimensional.

There are some parts I liked and others that were a little tedious to watch. I liked the concept of the POV universe and I can see that world as a possibility. Think google glass hardwired permanently into your head.

6/10

The_Train

Established Member
Just watched Philadelphia for the first time in my life - it's only taken me 25 years. Very touching and thought provoking movie with a superb performance from Tom Hanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.