• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Hi guys

I have a Structured interview next week at Newport assessment centre.
Does anyone know if its Fgw that conduct this or someone from Opc?
Im quite nervous about this, never had a Structured interview before!

Dave.

FGW (probably a very nice lady called Mandy)

Do a search through this forum, plenty of advice and questions about the structured interview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daddy_badger

Oh I see this would be the oxford, paddington and reading jobs that were advertised early last year. Do wish the best for you would be nice to know what is happening with the franchise at the moment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh I see this would be the oxford, paddington and reading jobs that were advertised early last year. Do wish the best for you would be nice to know what is happening with the franchise at the moment.

Brunel

Hi first post - great forum BTW.

Where did you get this info from with ref to the freeze?

A friend of mine works at HR FGW in Swindon
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Rumour has it that First would like the 2 year extension as compensation to the West Coast mess up. Which seems fair enough. Depends if Dft has forgiven First from handing back the keys 3 years early, which was a good commercial decision and in the contract. But don't know whether the Government will see it that way. Who knows??!!

Nuttytoffee

Thanks guys, and I am sure they will get round to you sometime District, they just seem to drag their heels a bit but with all this recruitment they are probably snowed under.

willy100

Hi,

Does anyone have XXXX's email address? She is in the Recruitment & Selection Centre in Swindon.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jc1

My online status has been "awaiting shortlisting" since last August.Has anyone else been waiting that long or is it all over for me?

daddy_badger

Did you apply for the IEP areas, ie bristol reading and westbury, as fgw are going through assessments at present. I presume that once they have been weeded out you will hear something. I was shortlisted and that's taken since July 2012 so patience does pay off.

jc1

Did you apply for the IEP areas, ie bristol reading and westbury, as fgw are going through assessments at present. I presume that once they have been weeded out you will hear something. I was shortlisted and that's taken since July 2012 so patience does pay off.

Yes thats what I applied for,do you mean they are going through assessments for those areas at the moment?
If they have enough applicants passing this then that means I will go no further then?
Or am I misunderstanding you?

daddy_badger

If you read the beginning of this thread you will probably find a lot of people have applied and either be successful or have failed at assesment. Fgw have had a lot to do let alone recruitment. I'm not sure of how many positions there are and its a long process. IF it states awaiting shortlisting then the process is that it will be looked at by the recruiting manager then an invite to assessment unless you already have a pass, in which case this will be checked. Stage 1 is GBT and TRP 1 & 2 stage 2 is CBI and reactions. My advice hold tight and if concerned contact hr and politely ask how things are and how you are very much intrested in a career with first.

jc1

If you read the beginning of this thread you will probably find a lot of people have applied and either be successful or have failed at assesment. Fgw have had a lot to do let alone recruitment. I'm not sure of how many positions there are and its a long process. IF it states awaiting shortlisting then the process is that it will be looked at by the recruiting manager then an invite to assessment unless you already have a pass, in which case this will be checked. Stage 1 is GBT and TRP 1 & 2 stage 2 is CBI and reactions. My advice hold tight and if concerned contact hr and politely ask how things are and how you are very much intrested in a career with first.

I already have an assessment pass with another TOC.I emailed and left an answerphone message with HR months ago telling them this and I never got a reply.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I have removed various posts regarding a specific person's e-mail address, and possible address being posted here, which could be picked up by spambots. Mutley/willy100, if you wish to continue your conversation, please use the PM facility.

wanabedriver

........And I got my contract!!!!!

Hi Mate,

Congratulations on getting through. I just completed my part two last week and am hoping for good news. Do you know when up coming training courses are being held and how long after you completed part two were you were invited to driver managers interview.

Appreciate your comments

Thanks

Nuttytoffee

Hi, thank you and well done,
I was told on the day I had passed stage 2 and asked there and then if I could attend a Managers interview, I said yes before she had even told me where and when! It was six days later. I knew after the Managers interview I had done well (just a feeling and it took around 15 minutes!) and was emailed the result 2 days later and asked to attend a medical. I was given 48 hours notice for the medical but when you want a job like this you don't argue about details.
Not sure when the next course is but I travelled on the same train as the Manager that had interviewed me and he suggested there were a lot more vacancies than originally anticipated for, mainly due to natural wastage, and especially at the Paddington depot. The lady at stage 2 mentioned there may be more courses later in the year, probably mid summer, but this depended on franchises and funding. For now only the candidates with the highest pass scores would go through so someone with a pass but slightly lower scores would have to wait for the next course or for somebody on this one to drop out. She also mentioned there were 700 still to be shortlisted from the original advert from last year, so don't give up anyone who may still be waiting.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi, thank you and well done,
I was told on the day I had passed stage 2 and asked there and then if I could attend a Managers interview, I said yes before she had even told me where and when! It was six days later. I knew after the Managers interview I had done well (just a feeling and it took around 15 minutes!) and was emailed the result 2 days later and asked to attend a medical. I was given 48 hours notice for the medical but when you want a job like this you don't argue about details.
Not sure when the next course is but I travelled on the same train as the Manager that had interviewed me and he suggested there were a lot more vacancies than originally anticipated for, mainly due to natural wastage, and especially at the Paddington depot. The lady at stage 2 mentioned there may be more courses later in the year, probably mid summer, but this depended on franchises and funding. For now only the candidates with the highest pass scores would go through so someone with a pass but slightly lower scores would have

to wait for the next course or for somebody on this one to drop out. She also mentioned there were 700 still to be shortlisted from the original advert from last year, so don't give up anyone who may still be waiting.

Does this mean they will advertise again this year?
I have moved to Chepstow and would love a shot at applying at Bristol or Gloucester and I already have an assesment pass that I got privately.

Nuttytoffee

Not sure if they advertise again. I suppose it depends if they have any reserves this time round, or if any of the 700 get through.
MUTTYNUT, I will look forward to meeting him next week.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Not sure if they advertise again. I suppose it depends if they have any reserves this time round, or if any of the 700 get through.
MUTTYNUT, I will look forward to meeting him next week.

Cheers mate I will keep my eye out and congratulations :D

Status
Not open for further replies.