• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wanabedriver

Hi, thank you and well done,
I was told on the day I had passed stage 2 and asked there and then if I could attend a Managers interview, I said yes before she had even told me where and when! It was six days later. I knew after the Managers interview I had done well (just a feeling and it took around 15 minutes!) and was emailed the result 2 days later and asked to attend a medical. I was given 48 hours notice for the medical but when you want a job like this you don't argue about details.
Not sure when the next course is but I travelled on the same train as the Manager that had interviewed me and he suggested there were a lot more vacancies than originally anticipated for, mainly due to natural wastage, and especially at the Paddington depot. The lady at stage 2 mentioned there may be more courses later in the year, probably mid summer, but this depended on franchises and funding. For now only the candidates with the highest pass scores would go through so someone with a pass but slightly lower scores would have to wait for the next course or for somebody on this one to drop out. She also mentioned there were 700 still to be shortlisted from the original advert from last year, so don't give up anyone who may still be waiting.

Thanks for your reply mate. Hope to hear something this week then. Good luck to all those still waiting

muttynut

Not sure if they advertise again. I suppose it depends if they have any reserves this time round, or if any of the 700 get through.
MUTTYNUT, I will look forward to meeting him next week.

yea a good yorkshire lad we will all miss him at work

Jd12345

Passed stage 1 of the assesment :) got the phone call yesterday. They have now asked me to go to newport next tuesday for the reactions test and criteria based interview. Ive never experienced this type of interview before does anyone have any advice (i have read up about it from on the forum but a few words of wisdom always seem to calm the nerves)

daddy_badger

Basically you get 25 minutes to write 3 answers to questions and then you get probed about it by the interviewer dont lie else you will be caught out. Have a search on the forum about the questions asked however I found them similar to the application form. When did you attend stage 1?

Jd12345

Thanks! I attended stage one last thursday before the bank holiday so they are really moving now!

Nuttytoffee

Got my training schedule yesterday (left it late and forgot to include my rail pass!), seems I will be all over the country for the next 2 weeks! Roll on Monday!!!!

badu

Does anyone know if Fgw have any more courses planned this year?
In particular for Paddington.

Nuttytoffee

I don't know about courses but was told there will be more vacancies at Paddington that will need filling after summer.

wanabedriver

I've just checked the status application on FGW and thankfully have been "successful at full assessment". Just waiting on a date for the driver manager interview. Is anyone in the know out there as to when these will be scheduled.

Good luck to everyone still in the process

wmg75

I've just checked the status application on FGW and thankfully have been "successful at full assessment". Just waiting on a date for the driver manager interview. Is anyone in the know out there as to when these will be scheduled.

Good luck to everyone still in the process

Hi wanabedriver, Congratulations! when did you sit your stage two and which station did you apply for? I sat my stage 2 in Newport on the 22nd March and my status still says invited to assessment! :(
They did say that we would hear a lot quicker this time as the next course was going to start on May 28th; but nothing yet!!! the waiting is driving me insane!! well done WMG75

Last edited:

wanabedriver

Well done I'm thinking it won't be long before the dm interview. How long did you wait before your results and stage 2?

Hello Mate

I did stage one in Reading in October and completed stage two also in Reading on 26th March, approximately two weeks later I got the results from the FGW website. I think that they are still conducting stage two assessments and hope to get a call soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi wanabedriver, Congratulations! when did you sit your stage two and which station did you apply for? I sat my stage 2 in Newport on the 22nd March and my status still says invited to assessment! :(
They did say that we would hear a lot quicker this time as the next course was going to start on May 28th; but nothing yet!!! the waiting is driving me insane!! well done WMG75

Cheers wmg75,

I have applied for the Paddington depot and sat stage two on the 26th March. Hang in there as no news can be good news. They might be still sorting through dates for DM interviews.
How about yourself, which depot have you applied for. As for the course start date I don't think they are moving fast enough for those who have just sat stage two as a May 28th start date is cutting it fine if you need to give a months notice.

Good Luck Mate

daddy_badger

Can confirm stage 2 are going ahead this week although it depends on what depot you applied for. A course has already started and think they run every 3 months although if a course starts at the end of may that is not even 3 months so looks like i may be wrong.

NHG66

Can confirm stage 2 are going ahead this week although it depends on what depot you applied for. A course has already started and think they run every 3 months although if a course starts at the end of may that is not even 3 months so looks like i may be wrong.

Yes you are ;)

From the August application deadline, courses started on 5th Nov, 26th Nov, 4th Feb and 8th April. Bear in mind 2 weeks off for xmas between course 2 and course 3.

Da40

Evening all,

I have passed the medical for trainee driver for Paddington and have been allocated a place on a course starting June 3rd.
Contract should be on its way as we speak!
Anyone else starting on this date?

Nuttytoffee

Congratulations Da40. Didn't realise there was another course so soon. May see you around. Day 3 for me and part of it was spent looking for a bear!

Da40

Thank you NT,

We may indeed cross paths at some point. Have you gone for Paddington also?
I got the conditional offer of employment of the 14/03/13 and was told at the time that there is a course commencing 8th April, which was full, and one June 3rd which I was penciled in for, pending a medical. Had the confirmation last week the medical was all ok and was confirmed on June 3rd but until I actually receive and sign the contract, anything could happen!
How is the course schedule at the beginning? Many bear hunts?!?

Da40

Mutley

Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone is in the same position i am!

I had my stage one in December and passed that, the stage two in January and passed that as well. My DM interview was in February and.........heard nothing!

My online status still says invited to first interview, however, after the DM interview i was told i would hear within seven days. Fourteen days later i heard nothing so gave HR a call, they said they are still interviewing and would let me know asap, but still nothing! :o

wmg75

Hello Mate

I did stage one in Reading in October and completed stage two also in Reading on 26th March, approximately two weeks later I got the results from the FGW website. I think that they are still conducting stage two assessments and hope to get a call soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Cheers wmg75,

I have applied for the Paddington depot and sat stage two on the 26th March. Hang in there as no news can be good news. They might be still sorting through dates for DM interviews.
How about yourself, which depot have you applied for. As for the course start date I don't think they are moving fast enough for those who have just sat stage two as a May 28th start date is cutting it fine if you need to give a months notice.

Good Luck Mate

Hi Wanabedriver, thanks for the reply, I applied to Bristol and did both assessment days at Newport! just have to keep waiting until they contact me I guess! Good luck with your course! WMG75

PeteH

Just to note that latest 'word on the street' is that FGW need ~400 drivers over the next 5 years.

That's pretty much a course of 12 starting every other month for the foreseeable future. Our instructor says that he has been forewarned that 'things are likely to get very busy' over the next few years.

As long as it doesn't mean losing out on overtime then good luck to you all!

wanabedriver

Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone is in the same position i am!

I had my stage one in December and passed that, the stage two in January and passed that as well. My DM interview was in February and.........heard nothing!

My online status still says invited to first interview, however, after the DM interview i was told i would hear within seven days. Fourteen days later i heard nothing so gave HR a call, they said they are still interviewing and would let me know asap, but still nothing! :o

Hi Mutley

Hang in there mate, FGW seemed to be snowed under with assessments, interviews and booking people on courses. I sat my stage 1 in October and did not get a reply until Febuary and passed stage 2 in March. I'm now waiting on a DM interview.
Good luck with it all and hope to see you around.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I am patiently waiting on new positions to come up.
I'll be waiting a while it seems

badu

Hi guys

I have a managers interview on wednesday in Reading. Is this similar to the Structured interview?
Its with someone called Helen. I'd hate to fail this after getting so far.
Not sure about any courses planned though.

Dave

daddy_badger

Hi guys

I have a managers interview on wednesday in Reading. Is this similar to the Structured interview?
Its with someone called Helen. I'd hate to fail this after getting so far.
Not sure about any courses planned though.

Dave

If its a driver manager interview then this is like a normal job interview with some q's thrown in relatiing to the role of a driver. If its the crtiterion based then this is the 5 questions you have to answer in 25 minutes and you get grilled later on about it.

Nuttytoffee

Hi, just to answer some questions, I am at Oxford. Part of the training is at places like Reading, Bristol, Swindon, Oxford (for me) and Paddington.......this is where we did the bear hunt. It was a team building exercise amongst other things, this is all I will say though as I don't want to ruin things for other trainees that come in after me. What I will say is that I have met some good lads, the instructors are fun, they really look after you and I am really enjoying it so far, despite the lack of getting my hands on a train.
PETE H. We were told today they are looking at employing 700 more drivers in the next 4 years.

Last edited:

diego1234

Hi all - I applied for the FGW trainee driver's course back in Summer 2012 and my status was always 'Awaiting Shortlisting'.

Around a month ago it changed to ‘Pending Driver assessment verification’ and I was subsequently sent an email with practice materials stating I be may invited to an interview / testing. I did previously apply to another TOC around 18 months ago but was unsuccessful at the CBI so was wondering if anyone else had recently received a similar message or know how long I would have to wait?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.