• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scaramanga

As has been stated numerous times throughout this thread, First recruitment tends to be a pretty haphazard affair. Personally I was told six weeks ago that I would be attending stage 2 'within ten days'. I dont even bother querying it any more.

happy times

Just to let people know that the current recruitment is set to continue with at least 5 courses due do start between september and the end of the year.

HR is going to have to get there finger out to get people through the system!!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Just to let people know that the current recruitment is set to continue with at least 5 courses due do start between september and the end of the year.

HR is going to have to get there finger out to get people through the system!!

Looks like they won't be advertising again for a while then :(

Iceman1979

Don't give up yet SkiinyDave, they want 700 drivers in the next 4 years.

Hi Nutty;

Do you know what the trainee pay is? And how much it goes up to once you qualify as a driver?

Will really appreciate this info, as I have also applied for this role in Paddington though.

Regards

Iceman

PeteH

FY '12-'13:

Trainee: £23,392

Qualified: £42,333 (LTV)

Both based on a 35 hr week.

7% salary deduction for the pension - £21754, £39370, before tax/NI

Overtime, not pensionable, on top.

Not sure if there's any London weighting.

No word of pay rise for this year, probably won't even start negotiations until the Autumn. It'll get backdated to April anyway.

Last edited:

Quickthorn

Hi,

Does anyone know what their policy is on relocating? I know that some TOCs won't look at you if you don't live within 45 minutes of the depot, even if you promise to relocate.

Iceman1979

FY '12-'13:

Trainee: £23,392

Qualified: £42,333 (LTV)

Both based on a 35 hr week.

7% salary deduction for the pension - £21754, £39370, before tax/NI

Overtime, not pensionable, on top.

Not sure if there's any London weighting.

No word of pay rise for this year, probably won't even start negotiations until the Autumn. It'll get backdated to April anyway.

Hi Pete;

Thanks for the info really appreciate it.

Regards

Iceman

PeteH

Hi Pete;

Thanks for the info really appreciate it.

Regards

Iceman

At least I couldn't say in the interview that I wanted the job for the money - I had no idea what the wages were until a couple of weeks after I started the trainee driver course. Even then it was via the grapevine rather than a briefing from payroll.

anthony263

Established Member
Hi,

Does anyone know what their policy is on relocating? I know that some TOCs won't look at you if you don't live within 45 minutes of the depot, even if you promise to relocate.

Well I will have to relocate and I selected that option on my application so I dearly hope they accept it.

Since I am single and living with parents relocating wont really be too much of a problem for me

TDK

Established Member
Well I will have to relocate and I selected that option on my application so I dearly hope they accept it.

Since I am single and living with parents relocating wont really be too much of a problem for me

Remember to take some sort of evidence that you have looked at the relocation option such as areas, housing costs etc. to your interview if you get to that stage.

anthony263

Established Member
Remember to take some sort of evidence that you have looked at the relocation option such as areas, housing costs etc. to your interview if you get to that stage.

Don't worry I intend to do so especially since I dont want to miss out on a good opportunity like this.

In fact I have found two studio flats which are only a very short walk to the city centre so wont be much longer to walk to Temple Meads station.

Last edited:

Nuttytoffee

I recieved an email from FGW today giving me a job alert for trainee drivers. Does this mean they are about to re-advertise?
Also a bit worrying as I am in my 3rd week of training for the above job!

carlejo

I recieved an email from FGW today giving me a job alert for trainee drivers. Does this mean they are about to re-advertise?

Yes, they've re-advertised......why are you worried ?

It's just an email that you would have signed up to, pre job alert, so to speak..........if your currently training, just unsubscribe to it

Nuttytoffee

It was said sort of tongue in cheek. Not worried at all. In fact very happy with how things are at the moment.
PETE H, I followed your progress on here as you were going through the process, you must be quite a way into it now. I will no doubt meet you one day in the mess room.

badu

]Evening all,

I have passed the medical for trainee driver for Paddington and have been allocated a place on a course starting June 3rd.
Contract should be on its way as we speak!
Anyone else starting on this date?

Hi Da40,
Is your course on June 3rd still going ahead?
Does anyone know if this is the only course planned this year?

Dave.

lordturns

Hi everyone - I can confirm that FGW have released another advert for trainee train drivers. Funny thing is - I had my assessment material sent through some seven weeks ago and periodically check the system online....it still says 'pending driver assessment verification'.

Is anybody else in the same state as above?

reapz

Why would it have anything to do with your course?

Nuttytoffee

Hi Reapz, as stated earlier it was tongue in cheek. Not really worried at all. It seems my attempt at humour was fairly poor!!!!
Badu, there are supposedly more courses from September this year.

diego1234

Hi everyone - I can confirm that FGW have released another advert for trainee train drivers. Funny thing is - I had my assessment material sent through some seven weeks ago and periodically check the system online....it still says 'pending driver assessment verification'.

Is anybody else in the same state as above?

Hi - Yes this is exactly the same as me! I keep checking online and mine too says 'pending driver assessment verification'. Don't know whether to hang tight or re-apply again!

lordturns

Hi - Yes this is exactly the same as me! I keep checking online and mine too says 'pending driver assessment verification'. Don't know whether to hang tight or re-apply again!

Has anybody on here got any ideas about this please? - are we simply stuck in the system and have been forgotten about?. I had a similar scenario when I applied for a job at HSBC years ago and there were some problems with the online application process which they admitted to and I had to apply again.

I understand that many TOCs have a very slow recruitment process and apparently FGW are renowned for being perhaps the worst although a very good company to work for if you get in there.

As patience is one of my strong points I can live with this - although it would be nice to know if I am still in the running to attend an assessment day.

NHG66

Has anybody on here got any ideas about this please? - are we simply stuck in the system and have been forgotten about?. I had a similar scenario when I applied for a job at HSBC years ago and there were some problems with the online application process which they admitted to and I had to apply again.

I understand that many TOCs have a very slow recruitment process and apparently FGW are renowned for being perhaps the worst although a very good company to work for if you get in there.

As patience is one of my strong points I can live with this - although it would be nice to know if I am still in the running to attend an assessment day.

My guess would be that out of the batch of applications last August they have not got any more suitable candidates. It could be that your application did not catch the eye of the person doing the sift so if it were me I would be re-applying. Whats the worse that can happen ?

Iceman1979

Hi guys;

Does anyone have the contact details for HR or Recruitment department? I have been waiting since February and application still says pending driver assessment verification. It's getting a bit frustrating now.

Regards

Iceman

Status
Not open for further replies.